Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chase: 6.2 miles in 35 minutes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Build 1: Week 8 (Recovery)

Mon, 9 Jul - 4.7m @ base pace on grass.

Tues, 10 Jul - Rest day

Wed, 11 Jul - Short Intervals. 8x400m @ 5k pace with 8 x 400m recovery

Thur, 12 Jul - 5.7m @ base pace on grass.

Fri, 13 Jul - Long Intervals. 4x1000m @ 10k pace with 4 x 400m recovery

Sat, 14 Jul - Rest day

Sun, 15 Jul - Le Plod. 13 miles of mountainous fun.

Total Running: 36.1m

Total Cycling: 40m

Build 1 Total Running: 171.3m

Build 1 Total Cycling: 154m

A good week. My weight is 134.4lbs (-.4). Enjoyed all the runs, even the intervals. Really enjoyed the Plod. I think the reason I was so happy with it was that I didnt go into it with a set pace in mind or a target finish time, I was free to run without any time 'restraints'. I think I'll try do a race like that (no time/pace targets etc, just run by feel) every few months or so. Its nice to get a reminder that this running lark is supposed to be fun and its not all about numbers.

Wednesday - went down to the track for some intervals. The plan said to do 4 x 1k @ 5k pace but I was still feeling the after-effects of Sunday's race in my legs so I did them at 10k pace instead. Times - 3:30, 3:30, 3:34, 3:33. Its been very windy these last few days so not ideal weather for track running.

Planning on doing the first McMillan 10k workouts tonight. 6 x 1m @ 10k pace. Its gonna hurt but it will tell me a lot about where I am with 9 weeks left till my goal race. Just hope its not windy :p

Friday - McMillan 10k workout. 6 x 1m @ 10k pace w/5min recovery.

Got down to the track last night. Perfect conditions, not a puff of breeze:D. This was a damn tough session. Times: 5:37, 5:38, 5:42, 5:40*, 5:39, 5:41. Not perfect pacing but I'm taking a lot of positives from this. I really had to dig deep and motivate myself for the final 3 intervals. Great sense of achievement when it was all over.

I found these hard but its a bit early to tell if they are too hard for me. I'll give this session another go next week and see how I fair before I make any decisions about whether to drop my 10k pace.

My garmin is really annoying me. It says my average pace was 5:25m/m for that first interval. Dont know if I'm losing satellite reception or what but the timing chart keeps reading 0:00 :confused: Think I'll have to get inspector Clown on the case!

*Estimated - A dog thought it would be great craic to jump all over me during an interval

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Good session DSS.

Garmins aren't worth a damn on the track. Just use it as a stopwatch - you already know the distance. 85s per lap is 5:40 pace or, 42s per 200.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Good session DSS.

Garmins aren't worth a damn on the track. Just use it as a stopwatch - you already know the distance. 85s per lap is 5:40 pace or, 42s per 200.
    Thanks, yeah, think its time to go old-school with the intervals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Great session DSS, sounds like you are well on target, at least for your first of the McMillan sessions.

When did you change to the McMillan programme? I am just starting it for a second cycle, I think it's a great programme, they're tough sessions for sure but are very effective. They never get EZ, but the very first session was definitely the hardest for me. I nearly pinged you on Friday to see if I could join you cos my usual training buddy was laid up, but I couldn't live with those paces.

It might be worth moving off the track onto paths or grass as you move to the 2 mile intervals.

wrstan wrote: »
    Great session DSS, sounds like you are well on target, at least for your first of the McMillan sessions.

When did you change to the McMillan programme? I am just starting it for a second cycle, I think it's a great programme, they're tough sessions for sure but are very effective. They never get EZ, but the very first session was definitely the hardest for me. I nearly pinged you on Friday to see if I could join you cos my usual training buddy was laid up, but I couldn't live with those paces.

It might be worth moving off the track onto paths or grass as you move to the 2 mile intervals.

Cheers, I haven’t changed to the McMillan programme, I’m just replacing the interval sessions in my plan with McMillans. Its definitely good to know that the first session is the hardest!!! I was spent after! That’s a good idea about doing things off the track, I’ll do that thanks. It will make things more race-like and the terrain won’t be as flat. Give me a shout if you’re up for a weekend run, I’m usually out on Saturdays around Dun Laoghaire/Dalkey area usually about 7:30-8:00m/m pace.

Build 2: Week 9

Mon, 16 Jul - Rest day

Tue, 17 Jul - 7.5m @ recovery pace on grass.

Wed, 18 Jul - 1.5m warm up. 4X1k @ 10k pace. Warm down.

Thur, 19 Jul - 7.8m @ recovery pace on grass.

Fri, 20 Jul - McMillan 10k. 6X1m @ 10k pace. Ouch.

Sat, 21 Jul - 6.5m @ recovery pace on grass.

Sun, 22 Jul - Progression run. Mile 1-3 @ 8m/m, 3-5 @ 7:30m/m, 5-7 @ 7m/m, 7-9 @ 6:30 m/m, 9-10 @ 6:00 m/m

Total Running: 49.75m

This was a tough week. I was feeling the Plod in my legs until Friday so that made every session tougher than it should have been. Also this was the longest (most mileage) week to date - see attached nerdy charts:D. My weight is 134.4 lbs (no change). Other than that I'm happy enough with how it all went. Looking forward to being a bit fresher for next week though. A bit of a spanner has been thrown in the DLR Bay 10k works - a mate of mine is home from America so there will be plenty of pints had the weekend of the race. Not ideal prep!:D

Give me a shout if you’re up for a weekend run, I’m usually out on Saturdays around Dun Laoghaire/Dalkey area usually about 7:30-8:00m/m pace.

Thanks DSS, I had a 21k early yesterday morning on a great loop around there yesterday morning, it looked great in the sunshine :cool:. I skipped going over the top of Killiney Hill though.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/201800464
    Went out with the intention of doing some progression, but a combination of the McMillan session still in my legs from Friday and going out too fast put pay to that. I'll PM you if it would work to meet up some weekend and feel free to do the same.

Just not feeling it this week, dunno what’s wrong with me. I just don’t have the motivation for doing fast intervals… I’m constantly knackered and I don’t feel like I’m getting enough sleep as I wake up tired and spend the days like a zombie.

Took a rest day on Tuesday with the intention of doing intervals on Wednesday. But I just didn’t have the motivation or energy to go out and do them. Forced myself out the door and did a 5k in 19:44. On Thursday I went down to the track in the hope that I’d be up for intervals once I got there. I managed 400m @ race pace before I threw in the towel. I don’t know what to do???

I’m usually great at motivating myself to run, but I’ve lost it completely this week… I just don’t feel like I have the energy in my legs either, on the short cycle home from work I feel like I’m pushing too hard even when I’m not going fast. Might just do some short easy miles for the rest of the week and a sprinkling of speed work before the DLR Bay 10k next week. No point in forcing it if I don’t have the energy…

• Advertisement

Hey DSS, those weeks come and those weeks go. What's important is how you react to them! IMO it's always important to listen to what your body is telling you, but at the same time not to give the negative feelings any currency. Sounds like you have had a really good number of weeks of high intensity work with lots of build and little break (when was your last down week?). Even if you feel crap, your fitness levels haven't gone anywhere and they will continue to give you a strong foundation for some time! Most likely your body is just saying give me a breather, leave me alone for a bit, and I'll be back shortly.

Your approach between now and the DLR 10 sounds pretty sensible, for what it's worth my advice is don't be afraid to take lots of rest before the race and then approach it with a very open mind and then just run by feel when the gun goes. In other words if you feel good and fluid in the first couple of K then go for it, if you don't, just power right down and treat it as a relaxed training run focussing on your form and running comfortably. If the DLR 10k was your A Race, you'd more than likely be tapering down for it from this weekend anyway.

Take it EZ! I think the long term weather forecast is good for DLR :cool:

Thanks for the advice. I suppose you're right, I've had 10 good weeks of running 6 days a week I suppose its only natural that I hit a bad patch considering the stress my body is under. It will all come good if I give myself enough rest. Went out for 5 miles at recovery pace, i'm still not back to normal but its only a matter of time and being sensible. Looking forward to the Bay 10k, its a tricky one to pace, last year I went out too hard and the hills wrecked me before halfway and i ran the rest in lactic hell!

Another 5 easy miles this morning. Felt a bit more spritely and felt a bit more like my old self :) stuck in a few hundred mtrs at race pace and it felt good. I need to work on my stride, today race pace felt fluid as I lengthened my stride, but when im on the track it feels like im fighting the ground to keep a high cadence with shorter steps. I must play around with it on the track and find what feels most natural.

Build 2: Week 10

Mon, 23 Jul - 8m @ base pace on grass.

Wed, 25 Jul - 5k 19:44. splits: 6:43, 6:15, 6:09, :37.

Thu, 26 Jul - 5k @ recovery pace.

Fri, 27 Jul - 4.9m @ base pace.

Sat, 28 Jul - 5m @ base pace.

Sun, 29 Jul - 7.85 @ base pace.

Total Running: 32m

I was really feeling run down this week. Intervals were a no-go. Just focused on the slower stuff this week unil I was feeling better. Think I managed to get a decent enough amount of miles in considering how worn out I was feeling. This week taught me the value of proper recovery and actually running at recovery pace rather than base pace or faster during runs. Weight: 135.8lbs (+1.4)

Wednesday (mixed intervals) – first attempt at intervals since I started feeling better. I’m substituting in a taper week this week because I want to give the DLR Bay 10k a good bash and take a chunk off my PB (fingers crossed). Got a new pair of kicks which I’m pretty happy with. Got the Adizero Adios 2, chuffed with them. I’m less happy with the service from Amphibian King. It took them 3 weeks to get my runners in (they told me it would be a week) and when they did they were the wrong colour and they charged me an extra tenner for them!!:mad:

Grand session though, felt good to be running fast again. Did 2k @ 6m/m, 1mile @ 5:30m/m, and 4x200m in 36-37 seconds. New runners worked out great, they’re so grippy on the cinder track. Cant wait to try em out in a race.

Friday (intervals) - Got back down to the track for my last bit of fast running before the race. Started with a 1.5m warmup @ recovery pace then did 3k @ 10k pace. The longest I've ran at 10k pace was 1 mile so I was a little apprehensive about running 3km at pace but I found it manageable and felt like I could have gone longer. Absolutely delighted with that as I thought I'd struggle given how drained I was feeling last week. Came home with a big stupid grin on my face! :D I'm starting to think this 35 minute 10k thing wont take as long as I thought if I can keep some structure to my week and recover properly from harder sessions.

My garmin 305 has started to act up though, couldnt get it to turn on yesterday and it says 'battery low' even though I charged it for ages. I've really come to rely on the watch, especially during races, so I hope it wont give me any grief for Mondays race.

Good to hear you're getting back into it. It's all about enjoying your running. Hope you have a great race on Monday, I'm gonna give it a shot myself!

Thanks. Best of luck on Monday. If ya see a guy wearing red glasses say hello!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Re the 305, happens the odd time. "Press reset and mode for 3 seconds and then release.  Once you have done this please attempt to power the device on."

Works for me all the time. Best of luck on Monday.

Build 2: Week 11

Mon, 30 Jul - 7.5m @ base pace

Tue, 31 Jul - Rest day

Wed, 1 Aug - Mixed intervals. 1m warm up - 2k @ HM pace. 1m @10k pace. 4 x 200m sprints. 1m warm down.

Thu, 2 Aug - 5.75m @ base pace.

Fri, 3 Aug - Intervals. 1.5m warm up. 3k @10k pace. 1.5m warm down.

Sat, 4 Aug - 5m @ base/recovery

Sun, 5 Aug - Rest day

Total Running: 30m

Total Cycling: 32m

A good week. I was feeling fresh in all my runs and did a good tough session on Friday. Back to the tough stuff next week. My weight is up (again) to 137lbs (+1.2).

• Advertisement

DLR Bay 10k

This is my local race so I was looking forward to it for a while. I ran it last year and set a PB (38:58) so the plan was run a bit more sensibly this time and set a new PB.

I started too quickly but noticed early and eased off the pace even though it killed me to lose a few places so early. I got in with a crowd of 3 for the first couple of miles but they slacked off the pace so I pushed on heading towards monkstown. Went through 5k in 19:52 which pissed me off as I knew it was going to take a big effort in the second 5k effort to scrape a PB. Tried to push on the downhills heading towards the end but I couldnt shake a guy off my tail. Heading towards Glasthule me and the guy behind were overtaken by a strong runner who pushed the pace. I found it difficult to get in his shadow as he was pushing hard. We dropped the guy behind me in the last K. I was breathing hard at this stage and was looking forward to it being over. I pulled the strength from somewhere to make a final sprint for the line. I surprised myself by cruising past the guy in front and making a big gap before the finish line.

Crossed the line in 37:37 (6.3miles) and 21st position. Dont know how to feel about my time. I'm glad I took 1:20 off my PB but I've been running for a year since I set my last PB, dont think I have the patience to wait another two years to get near 35:00 for the 10k.

Splits: 6:05, 6:04, 6:08, 5:58, 5:54, 5:52, 1:37 for 0.3m.

Did a two mile warmup/down to make it 10 miles for the day.

Well done DSS. I heard the course was a killer so fair play on the PB.

Man, it's not going to take 2 years to get to 35 mins! You could do it before Christmas if you wanted, you have the ability - no question. I ran 37:4x in Jan and 35:45 (not 35:00, I know...) in May.

I am no coach but I'll just say what helped me:

More running, screw the bike. A consistent 50-60mpw if you can at all.
    Intervals and tempos - you've got some good 10k pace stuff but maybe some stuff like 3x 2 mile T pace off 2mins should be given a bash? We worked up to 5x2mile off 2 mins and I feel that was a breakthrough session.
    Also sessions of 400m @ 3-5k pace would help. 12x 400s off 1-2:30 mins, that kind of thing.

Yeah, well done DSS on a great run. It was good to say a quick Hi - the red glasses gave you away, even if I was feeling totally crap, felt like I had a race like your bad week recently, I'm just trying to dust myself down and get back on the wagon now.
    maybe some stuff like 3x 2 mile T pace off 2mins should be given a bash? We worked up to 5x2mile off 2 mins and I feel that was a breakthrough session.

cwgatling can you explain what you mean by "T pace off 2mins". thanks.

Well done DSS. I heard the course was a killer so fair play on the PB.

Thanks man. In training it feels like I'm only a month or so away from giving 35 a good bash. But that race was a big reality check for me. I suppose its because I'm doing all my fast stuff on the track and not out on the roads so it feels easier than it will be in a race.

Cheers for the advice on sessions, I was planning on doing some 10k pace stuff tonight but I think I'll try some faster than 10k pace intervals now. Nice one.

Yeah, well done DSS on a great run. It was good to say a quick Hi - the red glasses gave you away, even if I was feeling totally crap, felt like I had a race like your bad week recently, I'm just trying to dust myself down and get back on the wagon now.

Nice to meet you man. I've done a couple of races without a proper taper like you did. Its not a good feeling. You need to set up a log on here, I'd love to see what sorta training you are doing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

maybe some stuff like 3x 2 mile T pace off 2mins should be given a bash? We worked up to 5x2mile off 2 mins and I feel that was a breakthrough session.

Do you mean running 2 miles at threshold pace? i.e. more or less all out?

Thanks man. In training it feels like I'm only a month or so away from giving 35 a good bash. But that race was a big reality check for me. I suppose its because I'm doing all my fast stuff on the track and not out on the roads so it feels easier than it will be in a race.

Cheers for the advice on sessions, I was planning on doing some 10k pace stuff tonight but I think I'll try some faster than 10k pace intervals now. Nice one.

Fair play, that's the attitude to have. It's there for the taking with a bit of work so go for it.

Sorry, T pace is roughly the pace you can run for 1 hour in a race (Daniels).
    So for DSS, based on the Dun Laoghaire race, T pace is 6:15 per mile.

I was saying to do 3x 2 mile repeats in 12:30 with a rest of 2-3 minutes between each. Build that up to 5x 2mile with a 2min rest at about 6:00 pace and you will definitely hit 35:xx.

http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp?dist=10000&units=meters&time=37%3A30

Another 10k indicator would be 5x 1 mile at I pace off 3-4 min jog rest (5:45 for DSS).

Nice to meet you man. I've done a couple of races without a proper taper like you did. Its not a good feeling. You need to set up a log on here, I'd love to see what sorta training you are doing :)

Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty sure that the lack of taper was at the heart of my problems on Monday - the previous 3 weeks were my highest ever mileage weeks. That and not knowing how to respond when I felt the wheels start to come off. An important lesson there for me was to know how to respond when its not going your way, I should've reset my goal and dug in, instead I just wanted to throw in the towel.

Regarding a log here, I know you're right, I have no excuse other than pure laziness! My last 2 cycles have been very similar to your own - focussed on a 10k races with 3 key sessions: 16X400m; building up to the McMillan 3X2mile; and a long run at the weekend. That's why I started following your log. All just a bit slower with a target of sub 39! ;)

Yeah I'm pretty sure that the lack of taper was at the heart of my problems on Monday - the previous 3 weeks were my highest ever mileage weeks. That and not knowing how to respond when I felt the wheels start to come off. An important lesson there for me was to know how to respond when its not going your way, I should've reset my goal and dug in, instead I just wanted to throw in the towel.
    See thats the kind of thing that would look perfect in your new log! :D

• Advertisement

I was saying to do 3x 2 mile repeats in 12:30 with a rest of 2-3 minutes between each. Build that up to 5x 2mile with a 2min rest at about 6:00 pace and you will definitely hit 35:xx.

Would you do that kind of session in place of 10K pace intervals? Or would ya add that into your week somewhere at the expense of a LSR?

Advertisement