Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chase: 6.2 miles in 35 minutes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Thanks, yea send the link on that route sounds good. I enjoyed that run so was planning on adding a bit every time I do it. How did ya get on in the XC?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Sorry DSS, looks like the last time I ran that route was my pre Garmin days (which is less than 9 months ago), I even looked for it on my old mapmyrun log.

As it happens one of my weekend LSR buddies suggested doing it this Sunday, so you are more than welcome to come along - we will probably set out from Shankill around 8-8:30 on Sunday morning. It's a good 13 mile round trip with a good climb. I'd guess we will average about 04:50/km.

The CC was on a tough course in Avondale, lots of hills and muck, a really strength sapping course, but strangely rewarding. I felt strong though and was happy to make it into the top 20. As someone pointed out to me it was a time I would have struggled to hit on the roads 12 months ago. The only downside was that Bray didn't manage to get a team together :(

Sunday - DLR Community 5k

After s e v e r a l pints the night before I lined up for this one in my local park today. Lovely day for it, but I was pretty hungover and couldnt really get in the mood for a race. That said, I've never done a 5k before so I wanted to see what kind of time I could do it in. I hoped for sub 18 minutes.

After the start I cut my way up through the field and passing all the over-eager young lads and lassies. I settled into 2nd place after about 1k and shadowed the guy in front. I let him lead me around the first of two laps. I was keeping track of my pace and I slowed on the second lap but I told myself I was better off trying to get a win than going at a pace that was too fast for me (I think that was the hangover talking:o). Me and the guy in front started making our way through the walkers and he slowed considerably so I took the front but he latched onto the back of me and we were proper racing now. With about 1k to go he got back in front on a slight downhill and made a break for it. I didnt react quickly enough and let him build a 10 meter lead. I put on a bit of a sprint in the last 500m but I couldnt catch him so finished in 2nd place. The course was a bit long but according to the garmin I passed 5km in 17:25 so glad with that. According to McMillan that should enable me to run a 36:10 10k. Must do another 10k TT in a few weeks to see where I'm at.

Was just thinking that there could be a good smack down in this race next year, as a certain Clown starts to consider this his home turf! :D

wrstan wrote: »
    As it happens one of my weekend LSR buddies suggested doing it this Sunday, so you are more than welcome to come along - we will probably set out from Shankill around 8-8:30 on Sunday morning. It's a good 13 mile round trip with a good climb. I'd guess we will average about 04:50/km.
    Yea I might take you up on that! But it depends on how well my Saturday night goes:cool: But I'll let you know in plenty of time.
    The CC was on a tough course in Avondale, lots of hills and muck, a really strength sapping course, but strangely rewarding. I felt strong though and was happy to make it into the top 20. As someone pointed out to me it was a time I would have struggled to hit on the roads 12 months ago. The only downside was that Bray didn't manage to get a team together :(
    Well done mate, I've been reading a few reports of that race from the lads on here and it seems it was a strong field in really tough conditions. So fair play to ya!
    Was just thinking that there could be a good smack down in this race next year, as a certain Clown starts to consider this his home turf!
    Yea I heard that, should make for a tasty race next year with home pride being at stake!

As it happens one of my weekend LSR buddies suggested doing it this Sunday, so you are more than welcome to come along - we will probably set out from Shankill around 8-8:30 on Sunday morning. It's a good 13 mile round trip with a good climb. I'd guess we will average about 0
    Pm'd you.

• Advertisement

Recovery Week

Mon, 15 Oct - 8m to/from work

Tue, 16 Oct - 5k pace interevals. 1.5m warm up, 3x1k @ 5k pace, 1.5m warm down

Wed, 17 Oct - 8m to/from work

Fri, 19 Oct - Temp run. 2m warm up, 3.5m @ 10k pace, 2m warm down.

Sat, 20 Oct - 5m @ recovery pace on grass.

Sun, 21 Oct - 20m. The plan called for a 10k TT but considering I'd done a whole summer of 10k pace stuff I figured it would be more beneficial for me to do a long run. Ran down to Shankill and met up with wrstan and a few of his buddies. They brought me around the most scenic route possible through Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire. The miles flew by and I barely felt like I was working at all. Clocked up 20 miles in total which is my longest run to date by a long way! Could I have run an extra 6.2 miles??? No bother. If I cant do the Clonakilty marathon I 'm definitely gonna do a marathon distance run that weekend in its place.

Running total: 53.15m

I was pretty tired at the start of the week so I was delighted when I found out that this week was gonna be a recovery week! Monday was a tricky day but the rest of the runs were great. My toes are still sore though, they were getting better but got sore again after wearing the racing flats on Friday :mad:. Topped off the week with my longest ever run. The ease at which I did the 20m run has lead to a frantic search for a backdoor entry into.... (TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO FIND OUT!!!!!)

Was great to have you along, you were certainly looking very comfortable today. Those hills add a nice bit of quality effort into that distance so I would say all in all a very worthwhile workout for you.

PM'd the link to that DMW route that I was talking about!

Doing the Marathon!!!! Eeeeeeep!!! Bit of a last minute decision, but feck it, I’m really looking forward to it now. Not sure how it will turn out but I’ve decided to head out with the 3hr pacers for the first half anyway. If I have to drop off the pace, so be it, I haven’t trained specifically for this so just completing the entire distance will be a big achievement.

So, having do NO runs at MP I decided to do a short round of intervals on Tuesday. Did a 1.5m warm up, then 3 x 1m @ 6:50 pace. On the first rep I was working too hard to keep pace, arm swinging, legs kicking back etc. The 2nd rep was better, but I got into my stride on the 3rd rep - I felt like I had good economy and it felt more like I was gliding than running. Did a half mile warm down to make it 5.5miles in all. Obviously I want to keep the mileage down this week but I think I’ll give that session another go tonight then do 3-4 miles @ recovery pace on Saturday to stay fresh.

Bring it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Jayz....that's some rash decision making there!!
    Best of luck with it and it'll be interesting to hear how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

The Dublin Marathon??? Jeez you're a madman! Best of luck with it though, will be interesting to see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Did you enter previously with the thought of doing it?

Sub 3 should be no problem for you considering your 10km and 5km times. I would say to make sure the first half feels like jogging to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ha! Savage. Excellent stuff. Best of luck. I've no excuse now!

Taper Week

Mon, 22 Oct - 8m @ base pace to/from work

Tues, 23 Oct - 3x1m @ MP

Wed, 24 Oct - Rest Day

Thur, 25 Oct - Repeated the 3x1m @ MP, got into my stride much quicker this time and managed to stay relaxed throughout.

Fri, 26 Oct - Rest Day

Sat, 27 Oct - 3.5m easy on grass with a few strides @ MP thrown in.

Sun, 28 Oct - Rest Day, go to expo, eat carbs, be very excited, have trouble sleeping etc etc etc...

Total Running: 21.8m

This was such a loooong week! The waiting is killing me! All my runs went fine and I feel really rested and raring to go for Monday. Racked up about 32 miles on the bike (going easy) as well so my legs are loose and looking forward to getting back running! Hope it warms up a bit though, it baltic out there:eek:!

Dublin City Marathon 2012

Only managed about 4 weeks of specific marathon training before this one today but I had a great stretch of weeks through the summer hitting ~50 miles p/w so wasnt sure if I was anywhere near ready for this. Also, I ran a 20 miler just last Sunday so my taper was hardly textbook... The plan was to stay with the 3hr pacers until halfway and then see how I was feeling. Surprisingly mild day today after the 2 degrees and rain that was forecast earlier in the week. Didnt bother with a warm up jog, just did a few stretches instead.

Things got off to a slow enough start. I was running ~7:15 m/m pace and had to wait a fair bit for the pacers to catch up. When they passed me they were bang on pace and very steady. I kept the pacers about 50m in front of me in the early miles, didnt want to get too close this early or too far away either. Running through the park was my favorite part of the race, it was so quite and a fog had descended making some lovely views. Passed 10k in 42:12. I had to stop for a widdle in the park and unknowingly did it at the best possible time. Just as I was running back to the road the pacers came a water station and the sub 3hr runners naturally slowed down to grab and drink so I didnt have to bust a gut to catch back up :).

Coming out of the park was great, the crowds were amazing and I really got a boost from their cheering. I was feeling very comfortable at this stage, my breathing was relaxed and I was feeling good. Coming up to the 12 mile mark I had one of those 'God, I love running' moments :pac: I was running with a big grin on my face and loving every moment! Coming up to the halfway checkpoint I had a little talk with myself - I was feeling good and running easy, so I decided to stick with the 3hr pacers for the rest and see if I could last the distance... Passed 13.1m in 1:29:49.

At around 15 miles I could feel my quads begin to stiffen from the pace. I played around with my stride for the next couple of miles and tried to bring different muscles into play so my quads could get a bit of a breather. Met my girlfriend on the course at mile 18 which was a big lift and I decided I was going all out for sub 3. Passed 20 miles in 2:17:09.

After 20 miles I congratulated myself momentarily on running the furthest I have ever ran. I was beginning to falter but I only had a 10k left to run, no bother to me usually! It was honestly the longest and hardest 10k I have ever run. It seemed to go on for ever, and it seemed like the pacers had upped the pace for the final 10k (they didnt, I was just fading now). A few times in the final miles I made a big effort to catch up with the pace group but I always fell back after a few hundred meters and had to do it all over again. There was a long downhill that was agony on my quads. I was praying for the finish line at this stage. The pace group had gotten a good bit away from me going past Trinity but the size of the crowds told me the finish line was close. When the finish clock came into view I could make out that it said 2:59:xx so I sprinted the final few hundred meters crossed the line and promptly emptied the contents of my stomach onto the ground!!! :o.

Got my official time just there: Chip time: 2:59:52 Gun time: 2:59:59 <<< :D:D:D

By the skin of my teeth I ran a sub 3hr marathon on the first whack! Absolutley thrilled with that!!!! :) So sometimes 'rash decision making' can pay off...:rolleyes: The pacers were amazing today, they really did a great job! The crowds were unbelievable too, what a day!

I'm a sub 3 marathoner!!!! AAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Great running. You will click a great marathon next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

That is phenomenal and actually pretty inspiring.
    I did my first marathon yesterday. Been running for just under a year. My best 10km is probably 41:30. Struggle to get below that hence stumbled upon your thread about improving. Amazing to see you did a sub 3 after reading through pages.

I originally just started running this year with no intention really for marathon. Then did the connemara half in 1hr 45ish and thinking how could someone double that and do marathon and then yesterday completed my 1st in 3hrs 31mins and 19secs. In hindsight over year i'm absolutley chuffed, but had hoped to break 3hrs 30mins. Its just amazing how what your think are unattainable targets suddenly are within reach. I sprinted to finish yesterday, i think i could have gone faster but got a bad stitch around milltown, i think i had too much liquid and brekkie in morning, i never usually get them!

My next target now is to improve my 10km times, i can run about 4 6mins 50miles in row, what training do you suggest to improve?

I think i have good stamina and can run when used to certain pace for a while.
    Would love to run next years DCM in 7:30 min miles. Deffo doable!

Again tho, incredible time you did!

I wouldn't say many break 3hrs on first attempt!
    Dublin City Marathon 2012

Only managed about 4 weeks of specific marathon training before this one today but I had a great stretch of weeks through the summer hitting ~50 miles p/w so wasnt sure if I was anywhere near ready for this. Also, I ran a 20 miler just last Sunday so my taper was hardly textbook... The plan was to stay with the 3hr pacers until halfway and then see how I was feeling. Surprisingly mild day today after the 2 degrees and rain that was forecast earlier in the week. Didnt bother with a warm up jog, just did a few stretches instead.

Things got off to a slow enough start. I was running ~7:15 m/m pace and had to wait a fair bit for the pacers to catch up. When they passed me they were bang on pace and very steady. I kept the pacers about 50m in front of me in the early miles, didnt want to get too close this early or too far away either. Running through the park was my favorite part of the race, it was so quite and a fog had descended making some lovely views. Passed 10k in 42:12. I had to stop for a widdle in the park and unknowingly did it at the best possible time. Just as I was running back to the road the pacers came a water station and the sub 3hr runners naturally slowed down to grab and drink so I didnt have to bust a gut to catch back up :).

Coming out of the park was great, the crowds were amazing and I really got a boost from their cheering. I was feeling very comfortable at this stage, my breathing was relaxed and I was feeling good. Coming up to the 12 mile mark I had one of those 'God, I love running' moments :pac: I was running with a big grin on my face and loving every moment! Coming up to the halfway checkpoint I had a little talk with myself - I was feeling good and running easy, so I decided to stick with the 3hr pacers for the rest and see if I could last the distance... Passed 13.1m in 1:29:49.

At around 15 miles I could feel my quads begin to stiffen from the pace. I played around with my stride for the next couple of miles and tried to bring different muscles into play so my quads could get a bit of a breather. Met my girlfriend on the course at mile 18 which was a big lift and I decided I was going all out for sub 3. Passed 20 miles in 2:17:09.

After 20 miles I congratulated myself momentarily on running the furthest I have ever ran. I was beginning to falter but I only had a 10k left to run, no bother to me usually! It was honestly the longest and hardest 10k I have ever run. It seemed to go on for ever, and it seemed like the pacers had upped the pace for the final 10k (they didnt, I was just fading now). A few times in the final miles I made a big effort to catch up with the pace group but I always fell back after a few hundred meters and had to do it all over again. There was a long downhill that was agony on my quads. I was praying for the finish line at this stage. The pace group had gotten a good bit away from me going past Trinity but the size of the crowds told me the finish line was close. When the finish clock came into view I could make out that it said 2:59:xx so I sprinted the final few hundred meters crossed the line and promptly emptied the contents of my stomach onto the ground!!! :o.

Got my official time just there: Chip time: 2:59:52 Gun time: 2:59:59 <<< :D:D:D

By the skin of my teeth I ran a sub 3hr marathon on the first whack! Absolutley thrilled with that!!!! :) So sometimes 'rash decision making' can pay off...:rolleyes: The pacers were amazing today, they really did a great job! The crowds were unbelievable too, what a day!

I'm a sub 3 marathoner!!!! AAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Great stuff. You looked ok when I saw you. A bit battered. Sorry had to rush off. Great effort tho mentally especially as you had no "I did the training" mantra to call up.

iancairns wrote: »
    That is phenomenal and actually pretty inspiring.
    I did my first marathon yesterday. Been running for just under a year. My best 10km is probably 41:30. Struggle to get below that hence stumbled upon your thread about improving....

Cheers man, thanks a lot. Well done to you on completing your first marathon in your first year of running!! No mean feat!

About improving your 10k time:
    The best thing I did was I started to follow a training plan. You’ll really see improvement when you follow a structured plan with designated session/rest days. There loads of plans out there and I know the Daniels 5-15k plan comes highly recommended from many of the guys on here who have 10k times that would make you weep!
    I haven’t joined a club myself but I can definitely see the advantages of running with other people and doing group sessions. So that may be something you will want to try.
    Finally, start a log! It’s a great way to track your training and keep notes of paces/races etc and you can get some great advice/support from other runners with goals similar to yourself.

Having said all that you will see improvements in speed/endurance just by simply running more often. Running next years DCM in 7:30 minute per miles is definitely achievable for you, no question about it! Best of luck with it.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great stuff. You looked ok when I saw you. A bit battered. Sorry had to rush off. Great effort tho mentally especially as you had no "I did the training" mantra to call up.

Haha "a bit battered"!???? I've never felt so bad in my life!!! I was shaking uncontrollably for about 20 minutes after the race. I was trying to drink a cup of tea to warm up but I got more on my clothes than I did in my mouth! :eek:

• Advertisement

Haha "a bit battered"!???? I've never felt so bad in my life!!! I was shaking uncontrollably for about 20 minutes after the race. I was trying to drink a cup of tea to warm up but I got more on my clothes than I did in my mouth! :eek:

Ha! It was only after I left I thought I should've hung around for a bit giving you were still feeling a bit rough.

Some effort though.

Howdy DSS

Sorry my congratulations have been so slow in coming, I was away for a few days and then had major router problems leaving me with no web access for a couple of days:mad:, so now that's my excuses out of the way.... Mega congratulations! :D That was a really fantastic run, amazing in fact. I said a few posts back that it has been a great year for you, but it has now been an incredible running year for you. Like others have said here, your log has been great to follow, but what a result, definitely moves from interesting to inspirational, many people have shed shed loads of blood sweat and tears over many attempts and years and not achieved a sub3 26.2.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the plans are now. :D

PS, if you're ever looking for a long sunday morning run you are always welcome to join us. Looks like we might do that Dublin Mountain Way route tomorrow!

Haha thanks man! I actually owe you a huge debt of gratitude for my marathon performance. If you hadnt invited me down to go for a run with you and your mates last week I wouldnt have ran 20 miles and I wouldnt have been inspired to get an entry to the marathon!!! So, thank you!

I'll definitely try and meet up with you's again for a Sunday run. I wouldnt have been able for it today though, my legs are only coming back to life after the race. Maybe next week. BTW, any chance you can change the privacy setting on the DMW route you sent me so I can take a look at it? Cheers man.

Well I would've been mega impressed if you had been on for today!!! Sounds like some good down time wouldn't be a bad idea for you.

Anyway changed that setting now, sorry 'bout that I thought I had unlocked it already. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Any thoughts on what's next?

Any thoughts on what's next?

Well, the goal is still to run a sub 35 minute 10k. But with the darker evenings and colder days the thoughts of doing 400m reps on the (unlit) running track are depressing me. I think this weather is better suited to longer, slower runs. So with that in mind I plan to build a proper base over the winter and get back to the fast stuff in March(ish...).

I'm looking at building the weekly long run and mileage with a view to doing the Wicklow Way Ultra which is usually at the end of March. So that DMW route you sent me will be almost perfect training for it! And after that I'll start another 10k plan, probably Daniels Blue Plan. And I'll definitely do DCM again next year but with some proper training this time!!

What about yourself, any plans? Fancy doing the Ultra with me!??? :D

hmmmmmmmm! an ultra, well it would certainly be a change for me seeing as my longest race to date is a HM!
    I'd never say never though :rolleyes:
    Right now I'm going to concentrate on getting a good winter base with plenty of time on my feet and maybe a few long intervals during the week.

I hit a few first time milestones this year, so my dilemma is now do I just set tighter targets for 2013 or do I think of doing something totally different! ...
    Ah feck it I'll have to start a log and stop hijacking yours :D:D

Ah feck it I'll have to start a log and stop hijacking yours :D:D

'Bout time!!!! :p Keeping a log is good though, when you put a goal down on paper(or on the net where everyone can see it in this case!) it keeps you focused on the task and the urge to wimp out on sessions is lessened when you know people are reading!

So, one week on from DCM and I'm still basking in the ego-trip that comes with running a 3hr marathon ;). After every race I usually ask myself 'could I have tried any harder?' and 'did I leave it all out there?' and my answer is usually yes, I could have tried harder, pushed more, ran a better time etc. But looking back on the marathon I couldnt have tried any harder. I gave it everything. I was a shambling mess after the race and I felt like death but I knew I'd left it all out there and its a huge source of pride for me :).

After a big race the advice is to rest and let the body heal. So I did no running for 4 days after the race and did an easy 3m and 5m on the weekend. This week I've been running more regularly but keeping it all at a very easy pace. I ran to and from work Monday to Thursday and took a rest day on Friday. On Saturday I went out for my first 'proper' run. I just did an 8 mile loop around my local parks. I ran on the grass, to give my joints a rest, but the ground was so wet and muddy that it turned into a real slog of a run and was a lot harder on my legs than I needed :(. On Sunday I had an almighty hangover so I forced myself out the door and ran every hill that Killiney has to offer (its the only hangover cure :D). My legs felt really good, fresh and ready for some speed. I kept it all slow though.

Total running: 49m

Not sure what to do next week. Is it too early to be doing sessions? Maybe I'll have another easy week and get back to fast stuff the week after.

Not sure what to do next week. Is it too early to be doing sessions? Maybe I'll have another easy week and get back to fast stuff the week after.

What is the next goal?

I felt fine a couple of days after the marathon but still did nothing of any substance for 4 weeks. That was the advice I got from more sub 2.40 marathoner runners than I could ignore. I will attempt my first session this week but it will be a 're-introduction to speedwork' type thing rather than anything intense.

It all depends on you really.

• Advertisement

What is the next goal?

The goal is still to run sub 35 for 10k. Probably looking to do it in the summer. In the mean time I'm going to follow a marathon plan (havent decided which one yet), build a really good base and hopefully run the Wicklow Way Ultra at the end of March(~30miles). Thanks for the advice re 4 weeks recovery. If thats what the 2:40 marathoners are doing I'd be foolish not to listen!:eek:

Advertisement