Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian O'Driscoll Temple Street Hospital photo.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you do realise men visit smiling children all over the world, it's not exactly an 'Irish' thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I know the photo you mean, and it's a fantastic photo.

...don't see what it has to do with Ireland though, it could have been taken in any country in the world. If Brian O'Driscoll was dressed as a leprechaun or a potatoe then maybe...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Lovely photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Actual photo. Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Without doubt it gives you the biggest smiles you"ll get from a photo. Was thinking though, its that nice I really cannot think of a greater photograph taken that represents Ireland at its best.
    Opinions?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/8141.php
    Represents Ireland? Having a laugh? Or a crazy?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's Irish about it :confused:
    I've seen much better heart-warmer inducer photographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

It represents an Irish rugby player, a sick but clearly delighted child and a rugby tournaments prize.

It's nice and all but represents Ireland at it's best? Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Well I know it the done thing but it nice to see them taking time out of their day to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm not sure how it represents Ireland tbh!

I am not a fan of rugby in the slightest but I have to say the picture brought a lil tear to the eye. I hope that little girl gets better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Had it been a pint glass would it make it more Irish? :confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Without doubt it gives you the biggest smiles you"ll get from a photo. Was thinking though, its that nice I really cannot think of a greater photograph taken that represents Ireland at its best.Opinions?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/8141.php

Think a little harder maybe.

I know the photo you mean, and it's a fantastic photo.

...don't see what it has to do with Ireland though, it could have been taken in any country in the world. If Brian O'Driscoll was dressed as a leprechaun or a potatoe then maybe...

Is that you Dan Quayle? :pac:

Ah AH, how I love thee.

The OP links to a lovely photo of a possibly very sick child who is absolutely delighted with being surprised by someone she obviously idolizes and what do the majority of people do? Complain about how it's nothing "Irish".

Yeah, if anything, the above absolutely symbolizes Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

dont know about symbolizing ireland but well done brian and co.and **** the begrudgers.
    anything and i mean anything that can bring a smile to those kids faces is worth doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah, I don't really get it.
    I'm glad the kid was happy I guess.
    Didn't really melt my heart though tbh.
    Needs more kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ihateusernames

Considering this week has a link on youtube of a gang of irish people wrapping hurls around each others head on possibly Irelands most famous street in front of one of its most famous landmarks, I think this represents irish people better.
    Secondly, in dublin airport when you walk through you have photo's of irish people (loads of politicians for some reason) and i think this photo would look fantastic there.
    Ireland is known throughout the world as a "friendly and welcoming", and i think symbolizes it perfectly.
    Additionally, Brian O'Driscoll is one of Ireland greatest sports stars and to have in cheering up a sick kid shows how even our sports stars are sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

A full day behind reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ihateusernames

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Represents Ireland? Having a laugh? Or a crazy?

Nope just think it would be a fantasic image to promote ireland rather than the endless photo's of politicians greeting tourists arriving in dublin airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Craebear wrote: »
    A full day behind reddit

Nah, it was on ylyl here yesterday, twice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Craebear wrote: »
    A full day behind reddit

A full year after the photo was actually taken. It was popular last year, for some reason it went around again yesterday.

Still a great photo, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yes, there were photos yesterday of BOD and the little girl a year on, she had a successful liver transplant and is making a great recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It doesn't sybolise Ireland at all. It could have been Frank Lampard going into a London Hospital with the Champions League Cup, A Man City visting a Manchester hospital with the Premier League Cup, Robbie Keane with the, er, erm, well you get what I mean.

But what it does show is one very happy, but clearly ill girl, and one genually happy looking sports star, in a picture that looks unstaged. Regardless of your thoughts of BOD or the Leinster Rugby team, its good to see that these stars can still bring happiness at all levels. The picture certainly brightened up my day a bit.

Still would have rathered it was POC from Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its great photo. Brought happiness to girl who is sick and that in itself makes it great.

Some people want argue for no reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Don't see how it's such a good photo, isn't it all just for publicity? Seems a bit cynical to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

His eyebrows look very strange in that photograph. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

All for publicity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

EMTFlynn wrote: »
    All for publicity

Any time anybody remotely famous does anything good you have soapboxers screaming publicity ! Who gives a flying fúck - even if it was a cynical publicity stunt (which I firmly believe it wasn't) the smile on that girls face is well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

Jedward is who the kids want to see :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

All for publicity

Publicity for what? They are Euro champions. I think they have all the publicity they need.

Please allow them to get a slap on the back for doing something good. There is so much cynicism in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

All for publicity

Now this represents Ireland.
    Bunch of begrudging fcuks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Don't see how it's such a good photo, isn't it all just for publicity? Seems a bit cynical to me...

So O'Driscoll shouldn't have visited the hospital and made the girl's day? It amazes me how some people seek the negative in every single situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

Heart warming pic no doubt, but perhaps a photo of her just as the cup was being taken away might be more representitive of our current place in time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Ehh....publicity for......:confused: For what exactly? For Rugby? Not a rugby fan and this photo has done zero to change that but it has warmed the cockles of my heart and brought a tear to my eye. I hope that little girl makes a full recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Here is an updated pic from a few days ago of Brian and the little girl, she received a transplant and is doing much better now.

http://photos.independent.ie/gallery/Leinster_visit_Temple_Street/slideshow/Leinster_take_Cup_to__Temple_Street/08Tg8QLckq41u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Ah come on your just trying to provoke a reaction are you?.how the **** is it cynical and how the **** is it just for publicity?your a complete moron if u actually believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I have mixed feelings about these types of photos. Without a doubt BOD made the little girls day and fair play to him but why blast it all over the internet? Another thing I'm not sure I agree with is using pictures of disabled / downs syndrome kids on ads to raise money for charity. I mean the charities are desrving for sure but is it right to exploit the kid in order to raise money? I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

you do realise men visit smiling children all over the world, it's not exactly an 'Irish' thing

Ah stop. Those photo's are gorgeous. So what that it happens all over the world? It's happening here and it's great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about these types of photos. Without a doubt BOD made the little girls day and fair play to him but why blast it all over the internet? Another thing I'm not sure I agree with is using pictures of disabled / downs syndrome kids on ads to raise money for charity. I mean the charities are desrving for sure but is it right to exploit the kid in order to raise money? I don't know.

Of all the people I know, nobody loves having their photographs taken more than people with Down Syndrome. When there's a photographer at work, keeping them out of a photograph would be a challenge.
    And, unlike most of us, they love to look at photographs of themselves.
    I love to see children with a disability in photographs/on posters.
    They were hidden away for far too long.

Thought the photographs of the Leinster team with the children were lovely. A visit like that can lift the spirits for patients, parents and staff.
    Anything that will do that is great.
    Well done, Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

For the love of god. My wife is a nurse who has worked in Temple Street. She said there are sportstars going in and out there every day of the week and to Crumlin too. GAA, football and rugby. Fair play to them. I hope I never meet them but the picture of BOD shows what these visits mean to the children and their families. Keep up the good work!

I have also heard numerous reports of Roy Keane doing the same over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

uriah wrote: »
    Of all the people I know, nobody loves having their photographs taken more than people with Down Syndrome. When there's a photographer at work, keeping them out of a photograph would be a challenge.
    And, unlike most of us, they love to look at photographs of themselves.
    I love to see children with a disability in photographs/on posters.
    They were hidden away for far too long.

Thought the photographs of the Leinster team with the children were lovely. A visit like that can lift the spirits for patients, parents and staff.
    Anything that will do that is great.
    Well done, Leinster.

I've no argument with that but the question I was asking in the second part of my post was is it ethical to use disabled kids for the gain of a charity? I'm not sure myself but I'm leaning towards not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Why must people find negativity in such things? Why can't they just be seen as children been given smiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What a magnificent person Brian O'Driscoll is. I can see him being President one day. He has all the attributes needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Einhard wrote: »
    So O'Driscoll shouldn't have visited the hospital and made the girl's day?

Yeah, pretty much shouldn't have turned up. I just think it's kind of bad form, celebs and sports people are always looking for a way to increase their profile.
    Einhard wrote: »
    It amazes me how some people seek the negative in every single situation.

Not really, just being realistic bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah AH, how I love thee.

The OP links to a lovely photo of a possibly very sick child who is absolutely delighted with being surprised by someone she obviously idolizes and what do the majority of people do? Complain about how it's nothing "Irish".

I didn't see anyone complaining that it's not Irish, just disputing the OP's assertion that it represents Ireland. Don't see the Ireland relevance myself either.
    Tbh, I'm really not being cynical for the sake of it - hate that sh1t - and I'm easily moved, but while that pic is lovely, I don't see what's so amazing about it that caused it to go viral...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

celebs and sports people are always looking for a way to increase their profile.

Not really, just being realistic bud.

Well, anytime sports people win things, the dubs, kerry, kilkenny, tipp, the rugby teams, munster, leinster and the irish team have all visited schools and sick children when they have won things.

So i dont understand what you mean "always looking for a way to increase their profile". I really dont know what youre talking about.

And also its not a irish thing. Around europe, whenever football teams win trophies they do similar.

I think its all about doing something nice for children and for the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Not all sportspeople are exemplary figures. The English disgraced their country with their drunken womanising at the last World Cup so for reasons far beyond his sporting prowess on the pitch, Brian O'Driscoll is a true champion and a great ambassador for our country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2nd pic with the cup full piss heading towards the kid and her looking disgusted proved less popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

irish-stew wrote: »

Still would have rathered it was POC from Munster.
    Child would have been crying seeing him. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement