Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian O'Driscoll Temple Street Hospital photo.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

To be fair I'm usually fairly cynical about celebrities (whether A, B or Z listers) doing work for the charidee, but Brian O' Driscoll seems like a genuine nice guy so fair fecks to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Some of the attitudes on this thread. Just wow. Amazes me how f**ked up some people are in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Jess16 wrote: »
    Not all sportspeople are exemplary figures. The English disgraced their country with their drunken womanising at the last World Cup so for reasons far beyond his sporting prowess on the pitch, Brian O'Driscoll is a true champion and a great ambassador for our country

They still got as far as the Irish, the media blew that whole thing up anyway. This is rugby, high jinks and debauchery are a throw back to the great amateur days.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Einhard wrote: »
    So O'Driscoll shouldn't have visited the hospital and made the girl's day?

Yeah, pretty much shouldn't have turned up. I just think it's kind of bad form, celebs and sports people are always looking for a way to increase their profile.
    Einhard wrote: »
    It amazes me how some people seek the negative in every single situation.

Not really, just being realistic bud.
    I can't believe this. Seriously, increase his profile? Are you insane?
    It's normally the done thing be it amateur gaa players going around or a rugby international.
    Believe me, if he walked in there looking to "increase his profile" he would have left a very humble man.
    Ffs, give him his due. He went in to make a few sick kids smile.
    Btw, that photo is brilliant, just brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

BOD is as about as genuine a guy you will meet and he doesn't want or need "the publicity" (stupid comment btw) from this. He would be there camera or no camera. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

keith16 wrote: »
    BOD is as about as genuine a guy you will meet and he doesn't want or need "the publicity" (stupid comment btw) from this. He would be there camera or no camera. Legend.

Are you friends with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Rhys Ruddock bears quite a resemblance to three year old Sophie Philips

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/images/galleries/Fennell-Ruddock-Temple-11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

It's actually disgusting that there are people in here criticising a decent guy for bringing a bit of happiness to a sick child

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I think any sportspeople that take time out to visit and quite obviously make the day of sick children deserve every plaudit they get. I don't think it's necessarily an Irish thing. Fair play to Brian o' Driscoll. He would certainly put a smile on my face if he came in to see me if I was in the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's so v AH suck the goodness out of everything- everyone has an agenda but only Internet nerds are the one that have their number- makes them feel good inside

It's actually disgusting that there are people in here criticising a decent guy for bringing a bit of happiness to a sick child

That's a touch hysterical methinks.

What I would say is anyone with any knowledge of the Leinster teams ethos evident both on and off the field wouldn't question their motivation.

Accross all codes, our sports-people tend to be thoroughly decent folk tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Yamanoto wrote: »
    That's a touch hysterical methinks.

What I would say is anyone with any knowledge of the Leinster teams ethos evident both on and off the field wouldn't question their motivation.

Accross all codes, our sports-people tend to be thoroughly decent folk tbh.

What are you talking about? That's precisely my point -hysterical indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Not all sportspeople are exemplary figures. The English disgraced their country with their drunken womanising at the last World Cup so for reasons far beyond his sporting prowess on the pitch, Brian O'Driscoll is a true champion and a great ambassador for our country

For all you know, he could be riding his sister.

What are you talking about?

Your use of the word 'disgusting'.

Overly dramatic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

About 10 years ago Brian stopped at the filling station I worked in and was so normal and even signed an autograph for my brother. He obviously can't win as regards this thread though. If he didn't show up at Temple Street Hospital that day you'd all be saying he's up himself but he did and brought a smile to a childs' face. He and his teammates should represent Ireland with their fighting spirit and even when they don't win they just get up and try again. The blatant begrudging attitude and cynicism of some posters on this thread is disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The couple of times I've met him at training days and the like he's seemed a really nice bloke.

Had the baby with us last time. He (the baby) was only out of hospital after being born 10 weeks early so was still very small, BOD was asking about him and how he was getting on. Signed the little leinster jersey he was wearing and wished him luck. Could have just scribbled his named and continued up along the line but took the extra minute that plenty of other famous people wouldnt bother with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dudess wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm really not being cynical for the sake of it - hate that sh1t - and I'm easily moved, but while that pic is lovely, I don't see what's so amazing about it that caused it to go viral...
    Ah now. It's not at all difficult to see why so many people have falling in love with that picture. You could flick through a thousand pictures of sports stars visiting sick children in hospital without seeing one captured quite so perfectly as this.

The sheer unbridled joy on the wee girls face is perfect and so natural. No posing for the camera like most formulaic sick kids/sports stars pics. It's just a really great picture that makes people smile.

Are you friends with him?

Why? Are you the friend police?

It was just a question - no need to get all weird and defensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Was thinking though, its that nice I really cannot think of a greater photograph taken that represents Ireland at its best. Opinions

Couldn't agree more - an Irish sports star, holding an international trophy won by an Irish team, and taking the time to visit kids in an Irish hospital and giving those same kids an absloute lift!

A wonderful image!

• Advertisement

It was just a question - no need to get all weird and defensive!

In that case, no I am not friends with him. But I have met him on a number of occasions and he is absolutely sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

In that case, no I am not friends with him. But I have met him on a number of occasions and he is absolutely sound.

I've never met him myself but I know people who have. They say pretty much the same thing you did.

I have no reason to doubt them and when you consider BOD's heroics on the field, he's definitely a legend.

To hell with the cynics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pighead wrote: »
    Ah now. It's not at all difficult to see why so many people have falling in love with that picture. You could flick through a thousand pictures of sports stars visiting sick children in hospital without seeing one captured quite so perfectly as this.

The sheer unbridled joy on the wee girls face is perfect and so natural. No posing for the camera like most formulaic sick kids/sports stars pics. It's just a really great picture that makes people smile.
    Yeah I misread it - didn't realise he had just landed beside the little one's bed. :)

Ffs, "for the publicity" - what tends to happen in these cases is: Crumlin or wherever get onto Brian O'Driscoll's or Jedward's or whomever's people to arrange visits from them to give sick, sometimes terminally so, little kids a few moments they'll treasure. I don't get the people questioning them doing it - imagine if they didn't! Of course it's good PR but that's not its sole purpose. I disagree with the fawning though - they're doing no more than they should. It would be bad form if they didn't.

Love the pic of the baby looking a bit scared of whichever rugby guy is holding him - cute overload. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Without doubt it gives you the biggest smiles you"ll get from a photo. Was thinking though, its that nice I really cannot think of a greater photograph taken that represents Ireland at its best.
    Opinions?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/8141.php[/QUOTE]

a lot of people on here slating the op's post keep homing in that the photo doesn't represent Ireland.

This is just my view, but the OP said "represents Ireland at its best" not represents Ireland.

When I look at the photo, I see a sportsman at the top of his game taking time out of his busy schedule to bring the trophy to a young kid (who happens to be sick and in hospital). Now I think that represents Ireland (i.e. a top sports star who happens to be Irish) at its best (doing something good and worthwhile for people less fortunate for no personal gain).

So give the OP a break, look at the photo for what it is and give BOD and the rest of the team some credit for doing something nice for the kids in the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Without doubt it gives you the biggest smiles you"ll get from a photo.

lol. No. Perhaps a photo of a loved one of mine would capture that award.

boobar wrote: »
    a lot of people on here slating the op's post keep homing in that the photo doesn't represent Ireland.

This is just my view, but the OP said "represents Ireland at its best" not represents Ireland.

Nail-on-the-head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Boneyarsedbogman - thank you so much for pointing out to the cynical, pedantic ARSEHOLES in this thread what is actually important about those photos.

I'm a cynical person at the best of times and I know that After Hours is a place for cynical bastards like me but this thread represents a new low in cynicism; I am absolutely baffled that there are (presumably) intelligent people who would rather take issue with a badly worded OP rather than see the joy in those sick children's faces when meeting some Irish sporting heroes.

Words really do fail me on this occasion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Whatever about drico he has a massive L on his forehead after today's defeat. professionally closed that one out alright :/

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Whatever about drico he has a massive L on his forehead after today's defeat. professionally closed that one out alright :/

Yup - those three Heineken Cup medals will gove cold comfort tonight after losing that tournament today!! What was it called again? :rolleyes:

What was it called again? :rolleyes:

The double. The benchmark

posh boys got ruff'd up in the tunnel at HT; worked a treat really unsettled em

• Advertisement

The double. The benchmark

posh boys got ruff'd up in the tunnel at HT; worked a treat really unsettled em

Three Heineken Cups in four years is some benchmark - I'm sure you'd agree? ;)

Of course I'd agree, n they'll maybe even go on to retain their 'retention' if you will but their weakness is in their upbringing. backbone of teh side has no 'backbone' when some real fizz was intstilled they went flat

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭TomLamp

The big cheese was won the week before. Its a disappointment but at the end of the day its the Rabo.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

His eyebrows look very strange in that photograph. :confused:

Hes probably had it stitched up about 20 times, have ya seen his nose?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Forget all the publicity **** and crap that is been talked about.

Just think for second.

That Girl my have found out that photo of her with Brian has gone on papers, net etc... I bet if she did see her picture on them she would be over the moon and that in itself can only be good thing to this poor girl. Its moment she will not forget.

When they you hear the saying "can we think of the children" maybe we should take it bit more serious on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Of course I'd agree, n they'll maybe even go on to retain their 'retention' if you will but their weakness is in their upbringing. backbone of teh side has no 'backbone' when some real fizz was intstilled they went flat

Dead right, a side with no backbone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyqfqW3L4wE

I think you have all stopped speaking English.
    I can't follow any of what you are all saying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Looks like a scene from The Exorcist to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The backbone that walked the league? Anyone can lose a one off game.

Why am I even bothering actually.

• Advertisement

If your intention is not simply to troll, perhaps you should run the above past Munster, Connacht & Ulster fans on the rugby forum.

I'd be confident they'd call it out as the buffoonery it so patently is.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=388

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Only 10 years and 1 month to go before I retire and leave the Septic Isle.
    But who's counting ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Publicity for what? They are Euro champions. I think they have all the publicity they need.

Please allow them to get a slap on the back for doing something good. There is so much cynicism in Ireland

As great as the photo is, when you consider Colin Farrell goes to Crumlin every Christmas Day with presents for sick children. And does it out of the good of his heart without photographers and press you could say it was done for publicity.

And I think stating as much doesn't distract from the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Those pics restored my faith in humanity.

My favourite one

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/36573_10150923497881069_1420809727_n.jpg

Advertisement