Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get cheap old school computer monitors

Options
  • 26-05-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I need a computer monitor but I don't give a crap whether its flat screen or not, any old monitor will do. Where can I get one of those old monitors that were around in the 90's? I can't afford to pay more than €40 for a monitor.

EDIT: Never mind, I got a flat screen one in the pawn shop for €50. I dunno why nowhere sells CRT monitors anymore, they get rid of the old technology so you have so buy the expensive modern technology.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

LCDs pre date CRTs.

Do you use a car or a horse and cart? Both work and the older tech has some advantages but I think we can all agree we're happier with modern LCDs.

For future ref you'll get LCDs for as low as Zero Euro from Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

People don't hang onto CRTs because they take up too much damn room! Most people are unwilling to pay anything for them so they often just get thrown out.

Interesting... I didn't really know you could pick up computer parts in a pawn shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

Man, fifty euro? I see CRT monitors in the recycling centre every time I go! Nobody wants them, you should have waited out and you'd have got one easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CRTs are old, heavy, bulbous, cantankerous, energy leeching eye destroying rayguns that we cleverly disguised as computer monitors. Once that phosphor layer on the screen starts to crap out on you (the one that turns that lovely cathode-based radiation back into visible light) you're basically getting straight-shot right in your eyeballs with the crap.

Generally speaking, not that good for you.

Realistically speaking they are not economical or a very friendly option. But hey, if you have a headache I know a guy who still believes in bloodletting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I miss my 22" (when 22" was the John Holmes of monitos!) Ilyama.

The THOOOONK when it degaused when you switched it on. The desks it broke due to the weight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement