Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trace stolen Squeezbox Player MAC Address:

Options
  • 26-05-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

OK so not a computer but can anyone advise, my Logitech Squeezbox Boom was stolen last October, I forgot that I had registered the internet radio on the Logitech website and today I logged on to my account am able to read the Player MAC Address. Is it possible to trace the IP address and location of this radio if someone else is now using it? Apart from the radio theft over €10000 of other products were taken at the same time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You could possibly trace an IP, but not a MAC.

Explanation:
    A MAC address is Layer 2, Data Link Layer. Layer 2 information is used in the transfer from the device over ethernet or wireless to the router it's connected to. Beyond that the routers MAC address is used, layer 2 information changes at every hop.
    IP is Layer 3 Network Layer, this is what's used to connect source IP to destination IP over the internet. This does not change at each hop.

Can you see the IP they use the device on? If so go to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe you could email logitech and ask them to email you the ip adress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

The MAC Address is always going to be the same as its the identification of the piece of hardware. As riclad said logitech might record the ip address's of the users but you may need an court judgement to get the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Does the logitech website give you any indication that your stolen device has a web connection at the moment? Any kind of 'last contacted time' or anything like that? Helpful if it does but not essential for the next step.

Send a letter to logitech legal proving you own the device and asking what procedure the would have for telling you, or the Garda, the current and previous IPs of the device. Not sure how much you know about IPs, but a broadband customer won't always have the same IP, and so previous IPs would let you tie that list of IPs to a specific address in a way the Garda know they would get a conviction with.

Then, go down to the Garda station and try find a techy Garden that will help you find your items. Happy hunting!!

Advertisement