Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Embarrass your kids - how to.

• 26-05-2012 12:27pm

Kids are bloody great at embarrassing parents and as they get older they think they know everything.
    I love to turn the tables and embarrass my kids in public or in front of their friends. Especially my 14 year old who I know is secretly smoking. I know his password for his email, facebook etc.
    What have you done or what do you do to get back at your kids by showing them up and embarrassing them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

You're mean :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I posted this on another thread but it will also work in this instance. Firstly, set up a similar system to a rainwater harvesting system, except in reverse. Basically, a rainwater harvesting system catches rainwater and feeds it into your toilet water system. You want to do the opposite and catch your toilet waste (just liquids, no solids) and store it in a container with a tap on the end.

Next, you want to look up the Super Soaker website. In my experience these are the most powerful water guns available. Look up the nearest local distributor, they are usually sold in good toy shops. Find the most powerful gun available and purchase it. Fill up the SuperSoaker with the contents of the waste barrell.

Finally, once the gun is filled, you need to propel the urine in the general direction of your kids in a forceful manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Talk about sex openingly, it's an equal playing ground to embarrassing, both kids and parents, if your going to pick on someone, give them a chance to win :)

Am going to post on my 14 year old sons Facebook later that I am looking forward to Watching Eurovision tonight with him I know how much he loves Jedward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I don't have any kids :p I spend all my monies on myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i would post up pics of them as babies on facebook would embarrass any image concious teenager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

What are you doing snooping around your sons Facebook page and Email, grow up FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I know his password for his email, facebook etc.

:eek::eek::eek:
    Am going to post on my 14 year old sons Facebook later that I am looking forward to Watching Eurovision tonight with him I know how much he loves Jedward.

Holy Jaysis derekeire, who needs enemies with a parent like you! :D

On holidays once when I was younger my Dad procured a speedo, stuffed it with a packet of my mother's cotton wool pads (the type you use to remove make-up/nail polish) and strutted around the pool area, randomly striking poses and singing Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy". It was pretty embarrassing at the time, but also hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A father trying to rap can be really mortifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

If you frap his Facebook page, you are leaving him open to bullying . Not a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

I feel like i missed out on this whole parents embarrassing me thing! Best save this thread for ideas so my daughter doesn't feel this deprived when she's older!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

my 14 year old who I know is secretly smoking.

Feck knowing his passwords, sometimes it's the only way to keep up or know what's going on in their lives. Also it means you can delete indiscreet or stupid stuff that they post on FB.

The smoking bit however. Nip that in the bud. After too many years of being in thrall to the tobacco plant if I even thought one of mine was smoking I'd lock them in their room for a couple of weeks and make them go cold turkey and then continue to punish them till it wasn't worth their while picking up another cigarette. Luckily I think I've sickened all mine for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I don't have any kids :p I spend all my monies on myself :D
    Only female goats have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Ride his teacher and openly brag about it, he'll be mortified.

Have him eat a cigerette and see does he still like the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Only female goats have kids.

Childer then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A bit of very discreet nosying on a teenager's fb page - and keeping quiet about it unless there are very serious issues showing up - is probably a good way of knowing what is going on. Using it for nasty, immature teasing/ bullying/ joking is pathetic. You are supposed to be the secure constant in his life, if that means being a bit boring then so be it. Who is he supposed to go to if he finds himself in trouble, someone who cannot be trusted? Grow up and be a father, not an obnoxious 'mate'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

shrewdness wrote: »

More likely to be proud tbh !

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

knowing his facebook and email password? bit far really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kids are bloody great at embarrassing parents and as they get older they think they know everything.
    I love to turn the tables and embarrass my kids in public or in front of their friends. Especially my 14 year old who I know is secretly smoking. I know his password for his email, facebook etc.
    What have you done or what do you do to get back at your kids by showing them up and embarrassing them?

eh, try get him to stop smoking instead of playing pranks on your own kid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

OP you're within your rights to know login details for email and facebook accounts. Please do something about him smoked before it's to late. Fraping his facebook isn't cool though. He won't thank you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

shrewdness wrote: »

More likely to be proud tbh !

Not if his teacher was a big gal.

Or a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you dont need advice on how to embarass your kids. I assure you , you already do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Clean his face with your spit and tissue in public.

In terms of embarrassing childer, it works every time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Even people who beat their kids give them privacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Talk about sex openingly, it's an equal playing ground to embarrassing, both kids and parents, if your going to pick on someone, give them a chance to win :)

With their Rainbow parties and their sexting and their other lewd behaviors the kids will probably know more than the parents :pac:

OP I think you should give him painkillers every 6 hours

also this
    If they want to denormalize smoking for kids by banning it in public places, they should do the same for obesity and ban fat people from public places so that kids wont think its ok to be obese.

this too

Fat smokers should then be kept under house arrest in case they are seen by impressionable children.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You could always send him the link to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

paul-2008 wrote: »
    knowing his facebook and email password? bit far really

how is it a bit far? the child is only 14, a parent needs to know these things, it's being protective.
    Bet all in here giving out about the fact that a parent knows his 14 year old childs facebook password don't have kids

• Advertisement

This is my personal favourite
    I started smoking when I was 13. No one knew til I had left home at 18. Still smoke and have never been in any trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Talk about sex to them...especially you having sex (may cause mental breakdown)

Dance to latest chart music singing the wrong lyrics off key in front of their friends.

If they're old enough to have a "love interest".......do what my Dad does and tell the love interest about when you used to change your kids nappies and how they used to wee on you. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

As a 19 year old I'm passed to stage of being a child but am more than happy to contribute ammunition to parents as to the most embarrassing things parents did for me! :D

- Dress really badly when going somewhere publicly with them. Sandals and socks are a winner.
    - When walking with them deliberately walk past loitering youths and stop near them declaring to your son/daughter they have something on their face while proceeding to slowly get it off.
    - If its a boy ask them to run an errand for you to pick up some womens interests magazines.
    - Come up with some cheesy catchphrases to exclaim surprise and use them excessively when in discussion with your kids friends. Jeepers, gumdrops, wowzers etc. The best form of embarassment is the one delivered to your kid through second hand sources, since they weren't there their imagination will amplify how bad it actually was.
    - Find out what time your kids friends are allowed to stay out until and set your kids deadline at 15 minutes earlier. This will ensure embarrassment of having to leave the group early every night.
    - Tell your kid you accidentally got a really inappropriate text from them and want to chat about it with them before suddenly realising you forgot something for the dinner and have to go out. Leave them stewing over what potential horrors it might have been before revealing on your return "never mind, was from someone else".
    - Use words they'll identify as with a sexual meaning in an old-fashioned clean meaning in front of their friends. For example: "Charlies been helping us paint the garage lately, it'll look really jizzed up soon!"

Yeah...I'd make a terrible mother. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

ColHol wrote: »
    I posted this on another thread but it will also work in this instance. Firstly, set up a similar system to a rainwater harvesting system, except in reverse. Basically, a rainwater harvesting system catches rainwater and feeds it into your toilet water system. You want to do the opposite and catch your toilet waste (just liquids, no solids) and store it in a container with a tap on the end.

Next, you want to look up the Super Soaker website. In my experience these are the most powerful water guns available. Look up the nearest local distributor, they are usually sold in good toy shops. Find the most powerful gun available and purchase it. Fill up the SuperSoaker with the contents of the waste barrell.

Finally, once the gun is filled, you need to propel the urine in the general direction of your kids in a forceful manner

if you read the first post, he wants to embarrass his kids, not give them diseases!! i'd hate to be related to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

Tell him you know he's smoking, tell him it makes him look like a wannabe.

If that doesn't work threaten a homemade youtube rap video on the problems of smoking or other internet/facebook cringe-fest.

Or maybe he'd like to be dropped off to school by a parent whos wearing pajamas and waving.

I have two children 14 & 16. If they on the computer they know we will keep an eye on what they doing, the computer is in the living room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

mackeire wrote: »
    if you read the first post, he wants to embarrass his kids, not give them diseases!! i'd hate to be related to you!

I'm no expert but I think he was taking the piss. :rolleyes:

(no pun intended)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Daddy dancing is always a great way to get back at them.

also a few weeks ago my 17 yo daughter was round with her boyfriend. So I got both of them at the same time by giving them the old, i know what your doing so be carefull and also, dont let me catch you doing it in my bed.:eek:

Great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

ColHol wrote: »
    You want to do the opposite and catch your toilet waste (just liquids, no solids) and store it in a container with a tap on the end.

Lets hope there are no bouts of the skutters...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...What have you done or what do you do to get back at your kids by showing them up and embarrassing them?
    I grab one of them and get them to dance with me in a supermarket to the music playing over head.
    They really love me for that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm no expert but I think he was taking the piss. :rolleyes:

(no pun intended)

You could even say, the blasted piss, or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

When his friends are over do a rap. I can't think of anything more embarrassing than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You should start a deep conversation with dealing with stuff you found on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

Go to parent teacher meeting in football shorts with one bollok hanging out. Works every time

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

Especially my 14 year old who I know is secretly smoking. I know his password for his email, facebook etc.

Ha! Nice. How did you figure that out? Piss easy security question or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

darokane wrote: »
    how is it a bit far? the child is only 14, a parent needs to know these things, it's being protective.
    Bet all in here giving out about the fact that a parent knows his 14 year old childs facebook password don't have kids

I think I'd be keener to teach my kids the value of privacy and respect than I would to needlessly embarrass him at an age where he's vunerable, obnoxious, sensitive, and impressionable in equal measure.

You're the role model for manhood for him, if you think showing him up is a good example, and makes you a good parent and him a better son, then go for it.

I think it teaches him he can't trust you, but maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just be yourself :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Just because you made him doesn't mean you should know everything. Kids are different with their friends, accept it rather than snooping on them.

Being myself is usually good at making any of my kids embarrassed lol.
    Smoking is difficult as we know he is at it at school. He was robbing my cigarettes til I quit in Feb. Having tried all the usual ways of getting him to quit.
    Having control of his email and fb is very important. Kids can easily pull pranks or post stuff on fb which they think is funny but could get them in trouble. Have made him remove a few posts already.
    But i digress from the reason for the thread! I was asking what other parents do to embarrass their kids as much as the kids like to do it to parents.

Especially my 14 year old who I know is secretly smoking. I know his password for his email, facebook etc.

Ha! Nice. How did you figure that out? Piss easy security question or something?
    When I explained to him about online security I showed him how to create strong password. He came up with a password suggestion which i approved. He then made the same stupid mistake everyone does and used the same password for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Giselle wrote: »
    I think I'd be keener to teach my kids the value of privacy and respect than I would to needlessly embarrass him at an age where he's vunerable, obnoxious, sensitive, and impressionable in equal measure.

You're the role model for manhood for him, if you think showing him up is a good example, and makes you a good parent and him a better son, then go for it.

I think it teaches him he can't trust you, but maybe thats just me.

There's a fine balance to keep between privacy and looking out for your kids by knowing passwords, i never mentioned embarrassing the kid, each to their own

• Advertisement
Advertisement