Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trout in Coarse Keep Nets- a bad idea?!

Options
  • 26-05-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

http://www.innyangling.net/April12.htm

I have looked though this guys monthly reports, which show trout in keepnets!

Has anyone any opinion on it? personally, i think it is a selfish, inconsiderate thing to do, as the trout arnt as resiliant to being left in that situation after being caught.

Would like opinions, more info on this please.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i wouldnt be able to say if it would do the fish harm for defenite, but i would frown it!!! no need for it!!! trout wouldnt be as resilient as course fish in this way i should think? i would assume in course competitions that trout wouldnt be accepted? again i dont know if this is the case, but it should be! in my opinion, at least:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pollagh prince

i agree..dont think they weigh trout as far as i know at coarse competitions, as they are a game fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Are trout less resilient than coarse fish? Assuming the keepnet was properly staked and positioned why would they be in more danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Trout are not Coarse fish so therefore don't count in Match weigh-ins, personally I only use a keepnet when matchfishing, otherwise I just return everything immediately, unless I need to take a picture, in which case I take pic and return the fish to live and fight another day.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not saying I would, or indeed they should, be kept in a keep net. I just wondering about whether they are in fact less resilient than coarse fish. They thrive in conditions that a lot of coarse fish wouldn't (mountain lakes and streams).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm not saying I would, or indeed they should, be kept in a keep net. I just wondering about whether they are in fact less resilient than coarse fish. They thrive in conditions that a lot of coarse fish wouldn't (mountain lakes and streams).

Coarse fish can tolerate lower oxygen levels, which is why they are fine in coarse nets in still water, whereas trout would suffer. Mountain lakes and streams usually have very high oxygen levels, which means they are very suitable for trout. They also have low nutrient levels, which trout are adapted for, whereas coarse fish tend to thrive in more nutrient-rich waters.

I think keeping trout in a keepnet for any prolonged period of time is a very bad idea, especially if there are other fish in the keepnet.

Advertisement