Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to hide a double crown

• 26-05-2012 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago but I accidentally put it in 'beauty' instead of 'fashion & appearance'. I'm hoping I might get at least one reply if I put it in the right forum this time.

I desperately need ideas on what to do with my hair (I'm a man). It's currently cut fairly short, with the fringe brushed up and the rest of my hair brushed forward. It doesn't look bad except for one thing - the crown. I have a double crown and the hair goes in about four different directions. The hairdresser left the hair around the crown longer than the rest so that it wouldn't stick up but I think it's actually making it look worse. Some strands of hair go to the side, some go to the other side, some go forward and some go back. If I put strong hold wax or gel in my hair it sets instantly and sticks up at a weird angle. If I put lighter hold wax or gel in it it looks even worse than usual as soon as there's a gust of wind.

If my hair looks really bad after I've combed it in the morning I give it another wash to wash out the wax I've just put in it and to comb it again (it's almost impossible to comb if it's not damp). I had to wash it three times this morning. Sometimes I get lucky and it ends up looking alright, but it's fairly hit and miss.

Has anyone any ideas of what to do to hide this or to make it less noticeable (without shaving my hair off)? Should I get my entire hair, including the crown area, cut really short and spike it up?

Or should I let it grow a bit? I used to have my hair longer which did a better job of hiding the crown, the only problem was my hair grows quickly and after a couple of weeks it looked terrible.

If my hair is too short you can see my scalp and I look like I'm balding. I'm not sure if that would be worse than the way I currently look or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

what gel/wax are you using? and you should prob uplaod a pic of your fringe, its hard to imagine what you are trying to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Ideo wrote: »
    what gel/wax are you using? and you should prob uplaod a pic of your fringe, its hard to imagine what you are trying to achieve?

Moosehead wax, defining paste or shaping dough depending on the weather. The wax holds it in place better when it's windy but I prefer the paste or shaping dough otherwise.

The fringe isn't bothering me really, it stays in place fairly well. It's the back of my hair that's causing problems. I just want to get it to blend in with the rest of my hair and not stick out in four different directions or make me look bald.

I might as well attach a photo that I took the other day when I wanted to see how bad it looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

From looking at your picture, your hair is far to long, and the gel/wax you use doesn't suit it. You should either cut it shorter and use strong hold hair gel, or grow it longer and stop using wax and pastes. The reason your crown looks bald is that the product you use in your hair is too heavy for the length, and it's sticking clumps together. Too much product makes it look dirty too, which I'm pretty sure is not the look you're going for.

My partner has the same, a large double crown, the back of his neck grows in multiple directions, and his fringe has two bits either side that grow straight out, I fix most of his hair issue's with a good haircut every month. He keeps it pretty short, tight at the back and on the crown, blending it to longer on top with his fringe spiked up. He uses strong hold gel to style it, and it suits him and the shape of his face.
    If my hair is too short you can see my scalp and I look like I'm balding. I'm not sure if that would be worse than the way I currently look or not.
    In my opinion, there's nothing as bad as a man who keeps his hair long in a futile attempt to hide a bald spot. It fools no-one, and is always obvious. If you do decide to cut it short, get the crown cut a little tighter than the top of your head, and avoid using gel/pastes on it, keep that for the lengths that need product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

looks like that makes our hair a bit greasy to be fair, is it tough to wash out?
    maybe you should try changing for a more matt looking product
    also that hair looks too long and that product looks like it is clumping the hair together, you should ask you barber to thin your hair out when you get it cut. it will help keep the overall length, but probably avoid that clump effect. this might stop you being able to see your scalp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Ideo wrote: »
    looks like that makes our hair a bit greasy to be fair, is it tough to wash out?
    maybe you should try changing for a more matt looking product
    also that hair looks too long and that product looks like it is clumping the hair together, you should ask you barber to thin your hair out when you get it cut. it will help keep the overall length, but probably avoid that clump effect. this might stop you being able to see your scalp?
    I can't remember what I had in my hair that day, but the wax is a bit heavy and is hard to wash out so I only use it if I know it's going to be very windy out. The paste and the shaping dough aren't bad and I don't use that much of them (at the back at least) but when my hair is even remotely in place I'm afraid to comb it any further so if it's in clumps I just leave it like that.

Thanks for the advice. I might get it cut shorter and thinned out. It actually looks shorter from the front but gets longer towards the crown. It was the hairdressers idea but I'm starting to think it makes it look worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Beauty is the place for all things hair and cosmetics :)

Advertisement