Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hexagon Brace

• 26-05-2012 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone here can give me a quick pointer.

I'm putting together a hexagon support mount for to sit at the top of an old bucket that i'm using to hold a clothes line. Once i have the pole of the line braced i plan on filling it with concrete and then sink it into the garden.

back in my school days we used use simple dovetail joints and i was thinking on using the same thing, but when i was sketching out what i want to achieve i realised that they won't work because of the angle. Does anyone have any simple ideas for this?

The bucket has an inside diameter of 295mm and the pole itself has an outside diameter of 50mm.

I was planning on using 50mmx25mm timber, and from what i've worked out the outside length of each side of the hex has to be 147.5mm

mods, i don't know if this is a DIY or woodworking question... can you move if it shouldn't live here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

is this hexagon just to keep the pole up while the concrete sets?
    waaay too complicated.. tie the top of the pole with 3 strings to the wall/fence/lawnmower/whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

if you want an easier method you could use car wheel rim,if your pole or metal pipe is the right diameter,then just concrete and bury.we did that at my parents house and never had any bother,still there in fact.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

whizbang wrote: »
    is this hexagon just to keep the pole up while the concrete sets?
    waaay too complicated.. tie the top of the pole with 3 strings to the wall/fence/lawnmower/whatever

There are 2 poles, both free standing. The only reason I was thinking hex was cos it'd be the best thing to fit into the bucket. It'll be staying in the concrete.

Advertisement