Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay with default way of making website or learn ASP.NET

Options
  • 26-05-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, my current procedure of making websites is:
    1) Come up with good idea.
    2) Create index.php/htm file (depending on functions).
    3) Create styles/main.css (link them both together).
    4) Set up MySQL Database.
    5) Start coding both files from scratch.
    6) When layout is done, start PHP functions etc..

Should I keep doing that? or should I learn ASP.NET? (never dealt with it, from what I've seen it looks like a Visual Express for C# / C++ programming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Why not stick with PHP and use a framework to cut out some of the boilerplate code?

Take a look at CakePHP for example...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Don't confuse methodoligies with tools! Yes from what you say, there is a better way of approaching your projects - it is to use a design pattern called MVC - Movel View Controller.

But I'm sure you can do this just as well in PHP as in ASP.NET, so unless you want to learn ASP.NET, have a look around for some PHP frameworks that implement the MVC pattern. I'm an AST.NET guy so I don't know of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

As has already been said you should focus on implementing the Model View Controller pattern which separates concerns in a web application. The model consists of your DB access and business objects. Controllers perform business logic, manage HTTP requests and send views to the client. Views are typical web pages. The reason for doing this is it allows you to separate the different concerns of your application thus making your source code more manageable and code becomes more reusable.

ASP.NET MVC uses this model but ASP.NET webforms doesn't, the language used with these frameworks are VB.NET or C#. Some other MVC frameworks (or very similar frameworks) are Struts for Java, Ruby on Rails, Grails (Groovy on Rails) and Python Django.

If your happy using PHP but just want to implement MVC go for CakePHP, as recommended by the Colonel,which is a PHP MVC framework.

Advertisement