Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Individual circuit electricity meters

• 26-05-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

We're getting the house rewired in a while and I was just thinking that it might be an idea to put in meters on individual circuits so we can get an idea of how much electricity is being used within different zones in the house.

I'm thinking that this sort of thing would help us determine in a structured way that cooking consumed (say) 30%, downstairs sockets 15%, upstairs sockets 10%, downstairs lighting 20%, upstairs lighting 15% & sundry (outside lights, gas boiler pump, etc . . ) 10% over the course of a year, and then take appropriate action to cut down the lighting, etc . . .

I know you can get these clamp on meters from the likes of Airtricity, but I've read they are just guidelines, and apart from anything else they are clamp on and not permanent infrastructure, so I wouldn't be a big fan.

I'll ask the electrician what the options are but wanted to check with thw boards crew whether these sorts of things are generally available out there for domestic installations, or whether there are alternatives such as management panels which collect & log the data rather than just being a bank of meters.

It might seem like overkill, but given that the wiring is going to be replaced from scratch, adding in meters or other devices in line at the same time doesn't sound like a significant extra.

z

Advertisement