Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guaranteed Irish

• 26-05-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

So is it time to outlaw "Guaranteed Irish" logo

At the risk of this thread being locked, I'll start with a link regarding previous threads

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056651875

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056640747

The GI website does not differentiate between color/creed as to who can display the GI logo, other than you have to be registered with them as it is a registered trademark.

So why do people assume that it's OK for one service industry but racist for another to want to use the GI logo, and if there is a reason then surely the whole GI thing should be scrapped then

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What colour/creed is "Irish"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Because it's food, not people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

My cats breath smells like cat food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

I wonder if the Italian have a "guaranteed Italian" campagn, or the germans a "guaranteed German"?

I'm surprised the EC has not outlawed it as its against the spirit of the EC and as they have overpaid beurocrats in Brussels outlawing other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

true wrote: »
    I wonder if the Italian have a "guaranteed Italian" campagn, or the germans a "guaranteed German"?

I'm surprised the EC has not outlawed it as its against the spirit of the EC and as they have overpaid beurocrats in Brussels outlawing other things.

They outlawed it when it was a government sponsored dept, it is now a non profit organisation, so allowable within EU regulations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I suppose with the upcoming Ireland Euro 2012, taxi drivers should be banned for putting up an ol' mascot or flag and what not in their cabbies too :rolleyes: Just incase they're seen as being racist for showing support for their country in them football games :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Spook_ie wrote: »
    The GI website does not differentiate between color/creed as to who can display the GI logo, other than you have to be registered with them as it is a registered trademark.

So why do people assume that it's OK for one service industry but racist for another to want to use the GI logo, and if there is a reason then surely the whole GI thing should be scrapped then

Being able to trace the source of a product is very important...there is a massive difference between a service industry making veiled plays on people inherent racism and wanting to know that the steak you get in your local butchers is from Ireland and not from Argentina.

Can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to start this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It was technically outlawed sometime in the 80's when the government were responsible for it, it was known as the "Buy Irish" initiative then. The EU ruled that countries must not promote their own products as being better than those produced elsewhere within the European Union.

It was technically outlawed sometime in the 80's when the government were responsible for it, it was known as the "Buy Irish" initiative then. The EU ruled that countries must not promote their own products as being better than those produced elsewhere within the European Union.

What about "Irish Pubs" on the continent, or Dunne Stores "because we're Irish" What about Polish Barbers? Turkish Kebabs? Thai Massages? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You've never had to listen to the rants of a taxi driver I presume!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Being able to trace the source of a product is very important...there is a massive difference between a service industry making veiled plays on people inherent racism and wanting to know that the steak you get in your local butchers is from Ireland and not from Argentina.

OK so two of the companies that use the GI logo are Dulux paint and Sudocrem

Do Dulux have a paint manufacturing facility in Ireland, can't tell from the website but Dulux is owned by AksoNobel, a Dutch company

also Sudcrem is a product of Forest Labs in the UK I believe, so does buying sudocrem actualy mean GI, I know they have an adress in Baldoye but is it made there or is that just a distribution op?
    Forest Tosara Ltd.
    Baldoyle Industrial Estate
    Unit 146
    Grange Road
    Dublin 13
    Ireland

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What about "Irish Pubs" on the continent, or Dunne Stores "because we're Irish" What about Polish Barbers? Turkish Kebabs? Thai Massages? :rolleyes:

That's the companies involved saying that not the Irish/Polish/Turkish etc. government saying it which is fine.

That's the companies involved saying that not the Irish/Polish/Turkish etc. government saying it which is fine.

I can't really see a difference between a Polish person opening a barbers by themselves and calling it a Polish Barber to someone having a taxi and calling it an Irish taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In none of those examples are claims being made that the product or service is superior to that of other nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

With a few exceptions, such as farm produce, those national designations are pretty meaningless in our globalised world nowadays. One of my mobile phones is a Nokia, made by the pride of Finland and the flagship of Finnish industry, yadda, yadda, yadda.:)

But Nokia is 95% foreign-owned, its present CEO (who stands a good chance of getting the boot soon) is Canadian, my phone was made in Romania and the battery in China. Who knows where the various components came from?:confused:

You can say the same about many other products. :)

Almost no Irish whiskey is made by Irish companies. They are foreign-owned. Although they provide employment in Ireland, they will source their raw materials wherever they get them at the cheapest price for that particular quality.

All those "guaranteed x" or "buy y" campaigns and schemes are just pitches to attract loyalty to companies that would never dream of showing loyalty to anything other than their own bottom line.:(

Caveat emptor!:D

In none of those examples are claims being made that the product or service is superior to that of other nations.

Depends how you view it :rolleyes: I can wear blinkers too if I wanted to. I'll refer you to the post above yours.

Advertisement