Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At least 63 children alone murdered in the last two days!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jester252 wrote: »
    When did everybody become cool with US lead invasion across the world?

I'm not. Intervention in Syria would be a disaster and would undermine the rebels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There are thousands of unborn babies murdered in abortion clinics through out the northern hemisphere every day and no one seems to bat an eye lid until something like this comes up.

And before that the hundreds of thousands of pregnant women who died on kitchen tables, bled to death after the fact or killed themselves in an effort to escape unwanted pregnancies or the little girls who died in secret childbirth. Not to mention the women and girls who were locked away or shunned because of their unborn babies. The born babies left outside to die like so much rubbish. The babies whose mothers overlaid them because they couldn't manage a 13th or 14th child. Lets outlaw abortion and bring back those days again. :rolleyes: Before abortion clinics the unborn were still killed but most of the time their mothers died with them. Proper order according to you, I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jester252 wrote: »
    When did everybody become cool with US lead invasion across the world?

Please show us where we have espoused this?
    Please do... We will await your back-up to this!
    Gee Bag wrote: »
    There's nothing unfortunate about having a realistic outlook.

If you have watched the news or read a paper in the last 15 months you'll know there is a war in Syria. Posting in After Hours about it isn't 'raising awareness' (unless After Hours is your only news source)

Anyone with a brain in there head knows war is a bad thing, anyone who thinks posting on an internet forum based in a small neutral country will have any effect hasn't.

Wanting to publicly wring your hands and say why can't we all get along is not enlightening.

So instead, lets be uselessly negative, equally post on the internet, put down any efforts to see that such things are mentioned, and state things that wasn't actually said - yea, that will the do the world a lot of good!

I or no one else has stated "...why can't we all get along" - please show where someone stated this!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Apelles wrote: »
    Thats quite an unforunate outlook to have. What would you rather people just turned a blind eye to everything that doesn't directly concern themselves? what a sad selfish world that would lead to.

Thanks Biggins for trying to enlighten us.

It's an unfortunate position to be in to be relying on After Hours to inform yourself.

There are some very good reports on the matter brought up in many news papers (good and bad), there are good articles on it on good news stations, there are good books on the history of it, there has been many excellent radio broadcasts on it.

I wouldn't rather people turn a blind eye to the situation in Syria. I'd rather people throw a cautious eye if they begin to feel that they are being enlightened on After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

In all honesty, if any of the wester countries moved in there'd be outcry of oil, ahhhh the americans are at it again.

humberklog wrote: »
    It's an unfortunate position to be in to be relying on After Hours to inform yourself.

There are some very good reports on the matter brought up in many news papers (good and bad), there are good articles on it on good news stations, there are good books on the history of it, there has been many excellent radio broadcasts on it.

I wouldn't rather people turn a blind eye to the situation in Syria. I'd rather people throw a cautious eye if they begin to feel that they are being enlightened on After Hours.

Be it on After Hours or elsewhere, anyone that posts something of a serious nature, has to back their stuff up with (what they think is) creditable links.

Everything has to be judged with an open mind, this is no less or more on AH than anywhere else.
    Thats why just because I see something on AH that I don't by default, put something down as not as credible as elsewhere.

Speaking personally, I have been VERY enlightened as to may things AND aspects to things I already have come across previously.
    AH is many things - and it can have its good moments and posts too, be it from discussing depression to lives lost and love thats won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There have and are many a good topic discussed on after hours and I have been enlightened many a time here and boards.ie in general, don't see any harm what so ever about this thread and as AH is the most read forum here what better way to spread or discuss some thing as important as the war/uprising in syria, nice to hear from what real people think than reading one sided bias in newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Biggins wrote: »
    So instead, lets be uselessly negative, equally post on the internet, put down any efforts to see that such things are mentioned, and state things that wasn't actually said - yea, that will the do the world a lot of good!

I or no one else has stated "...why can't we all get along" - please show where someone stated this!

I post in After Hours because its generally a light hearted forum. If I have something serious to post I use one of the other forums or a different website.

In my first post in this thread I stated that I thought your opinions were somewhat naive regarding the efficacy of sanctions. None of your other posts have changed my opinion.

My second post in this thread was not 'uselessley negative'. I was merely giving my opinion that the possibility of stopping the war in Syria by posting on an Irish website is daft. If the Syrians aren't prepared to listen to the EU, the Arab League, most of the UN, etc. then they are very, very unlikley to take on board the opinions of the boys and girls of After Hours. Realism and cynicism are not the same thing.

Why can't we all get along was not put in inverta commas, therefore I did not imply it was a direct quote. It was a comment on the general tone and tenor on some of the posts in this thread.

TBH I found your way of engaging with others on this thread so far to be quite simplistic. I don't recall anyone saying killing children was a good thing. People have different opinions.

If you want to preach you should get a blog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i would think the international community should do more about this mess,i mean the UN just observing killings?wtf?

• Advertisement

I post in After Hours because its generally a light hearted forum. If I have something serious to post I use one of the other forums or a different website.

In my first post in this thread I stated that I thought your opinions were somewhat naive regarding the efficacy of sanctions. None of your other posts have changed my opinion.

My second post in this thread was not 'uselessley negative'. I was merely giving my opinion that the possibility of stopping the war in Syria by posting on an Irish website is daft. If the Syrians aren't prepared to listen to the EU, the Arab League, most of the UN, etc. then they are very, very unlikley to take on board the opinions of the boys and girls of After Hours. Realism and cynicism are not the same thing.

Why can't we all get along was not put in inverta commas, therefore I did not imply it was a direct quote. It was a comment on the general tone and tenor on some of the posts in this thread.

TBH I found your way of engaging with others on this thread so far to be quite simplistic. I don't recall anyone saying killing children was a good thing. People have different opinions.

If I have something serious to post I use one of the other forums or a different website.
    Thats your choice isn't it!

In my first post in this thread I stated that I thought your opinions were somewhat naive regarding the efficacy of sanctions.
    I'd rather be informed and be naive than be irritatingly negative, insulting in tone and content and downright useless in not even offering alternatives to just others attempts!

I was merely giving my opinion that the possibility of stopping the war in Syria by posting on an Irish website is daft.
    Thats your opinion.
    I disagree. Thats my opinion.
    I consider your negativity and lack of alternative suggestion(s) just as daft!

If the Syrians aren't prepared to listen to the EU, the Arab League, most of the UN, etc. then they are very, very unlikley to take on board the opinions of the boys and girls of After Hours.
    My post was not aimed at them but then anyone with a bit of kop, would have easily seen that!
    Something you missed then?

Aye yes... It was something you spin now that was/is now just opinion we can assume?
    So it wasn't something that was actually said now, it was just your mind and what it thought it saw?
    I see... Pity you don't!

Now why didn't I think of that!
    Clearly something else you cannot see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Meh .. third world problems, this happens everyday really, leave them to it

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

I wonder why some are saying nothing in Ireland...

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-15/syria-blocks-texts-with-dublin-made-gear.html[/QUOTE]

Plenty in Ireland talking about it - Bruton confirmed on Tues there was an investigation, and there is no foul play suspected, so I think you need to be careful before potentially damaging an Irish, export-led company in these times of austerity.

Now if the Syrian's bought the Software, and then used it for draconian purposes that's a different story. However, Kitchen Knives are generally used to carve meat and chop vegetables, but some of them end up lodged in skulls/chests etc.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bruton-irish-software-in-syria-is-not-designed-to-suppress-democracy-458403-May2012/

Plenty in Ireland talking about it - Bruton confirmed on Tues there was an investigation, and there is no foul play suspected, so I think you need to be careful before potentially damaging an Irish, export-led company in these times of austerity.

Now if the Syrian's bought the Software, and then used it for draconian purposes that's a different story. However, Kitchen Knives are generally used to carve meat and chop vegetables, but some of them end up lodged in skulls/chests etc.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bruton-irish-software-in-syria-is-not-designed-to-suppress-democracy-458403-May2012/

Either the software was or wasn't used. "It only filters multi-media messages" - yea, like videos trying to get out of the country showing up many killings?
    As it stands it was purchased by those that wish to stop opposition.
    Seriously... is anyone that stupid to think and then espouse that they bought the products - and then didn't use them?
    Seriously?

'Austerity' or not, is not excuse for handing over blocking/filtering tools to these murderers.

As for Bruton, my own opinion is that I wouldn't trust that person - even if they said tomorrow is Sunday!
    If Bruton doesn't understand what a multi-media message is - he is as stupid as he's allowing himself to be exposed as!
    What an idiot - and only blind fools would follow him in his stupidity!

...Kitchen Knives are generally used to carve meat and chop vegetables, but some of them end up lodged in skulls/chests etc.

Strange you should mention that!

Latest BBC reports and UN officials seeing the evidence, says that the butchers of Assad went particularly after the many kids, stabbing them all to death in many cases.
    (BBC news report on just after the Eurovision was over)

For any one to try and justify that - and NO, IT WAS NOT SHELLING - would be a bloody idiot!

Alternative source:
    * http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/05/26/syria-houla.html?cmp=rss
    After the bombardment, pro-government thugs known as shabiha raided the villages, killing men on the streets and stabbing women and children in their houses.

The figure for the number of children and adults killed was confirmed in an interview with The Independent on Sunday by General Robert Mood, the head of the team of 300 UN observers which is seeking to reduce the level of violence. "My patrols went into the village," he said. "I can verify that they counted 32 children under 10 killed. In addition, there were more than 60 adults dead."

General Mood would not explain how the villagers died, but horrific pictures posted on YouTube appear to show that they were shot or knifed to death, some having their throats cut.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/exclusive-dispatch-assad-blamed-for-massacre-of-the-innocents-7791507.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Abu Yazan said local rebels fighting under the banner of the Free Syrian Army tried to fight the army off in clashes around the area before pro-regime thugs known as shabiha entered the villages, raiding homes and shooting at civilians.

'They focused on the children'

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said more than 90 people were killed in the Houla area. Abu Yazan said 106 people were killed, most of them in the village of Taldaw. More than 40 were children, he said.
    http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/attack-on-syrian-villages-deadliest-yet-activists-say

DO NOT click the following link if your easily upset - DO NOT!!!
    Upsetting photo to some - Do NOT say you were not warned.
    * http://t.co/hw3119qu
    Source: https://twitter.com/search/%23HoulaMassacre

MODS: I supply the above and its source to show that such things do happen, are happening and for some to say that they don't and/or are made up (even maybe in this thread it seems), are completely talking through their backside in uneducation and maybe wanted convenient blindness!

Assad once more has the blood of kids on his hands.
    Lets all sit around and say nothing - or bitch and moan about others that do!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

The government didn't buy the software, the phone companies did.

Just like Voda/O2/Meteor have purhcased it in Ireland. Does this mean our government is blocking our messages?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning violence and murder, and I am all in favour of justice and peace. But you're jumping to conclucsions based on your own opinions, and no facts.

BTW - this post refers solely to the purchase of sotware by the Syrian phone companies. I'm not educated enough on the issue @ hand to make a comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Do you seriously expect that this Irish company should have known, in 2008, how things were going to be in Syria in 2011-12? They aren't the only company who are guilty of not being clairvoyant. The US fast food chain Cinnabon opened a franchise operation in Syria at just the wrong time, and they aren't the only one. KFC has been there since 2006. Have a read of this: Eating Cinnabon in Damascus. How is that possible?

It's possible because there's a sharp city/country divide in Syria: the city (Damascus) is largely middle class, a target for foreign companies. The Alawite family explicitly courted the middle class, understanding that that's where long-lasting power comes from, and it "worked" for 40 years. When the middle class is thriving, they don't care about those less fortunate. The middle class is moderate, civilised, not likely to bite the hand that feeds them. (Sounds like Dublin vs rural Ireland in 1800s, now I think of it.)

Homs was not the first time the Assad regime used such tactics against its own people - look up the Hama Massacre of 1982, for example. You almost never hear about that because it achieved its aim: the suppression of anti-Assad rebellion and the preservation of the middle class status quo in Damascus. Assad's methods are abhorrent, but that doesn't mean that the whole Syrian middle class should be destroyed - which is what will happen if the Alawites fall or are removed from power, leaving Damascus at the mercy of the rebels.

And you wonder why the West is loath to take a side in this war? That's why: the Muslim Brotherhood rebels are not friends of the West or Western interests, or of democracy in principle. Does the Middle East really yet need another poor Muslim state? But the Assad regime may have gone too far, now; time will tell whether a strategy that worked for Bashir al-Assad's father in the 1980s will work again. But simply removing the Alawites from power will not be a solution to Syria's problems.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

On July 1st, the Austro/German Battlegroup will go on standby and be on 5 days notice to move anywhere in the world until the end of 2012.

Moving in to open up a humanitarian corridor and provide protection for civilians until follow on forces arrive would be ideal for the Battlegroup to look after.

IMO, once the Battlegroup goes on standby and whether or not they deploy will show how serious the UN etc. are about what is going on in Syria.

Unarmed observers and sanctions aren't going to change a damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Why is 'condemning' something now seen as a free pass to do sweet f*uck all about it

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I smell a Shinners agenda on this thread ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Why is 'condemning' something now seen as a free pass to do sweet f*uck all about it
    I would be very suspicious of anyone who knows exactly what to do about "it".

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

1. Thats your choice isn't it!

Yeah it is. It's also my choice to not be in a state of permanent outrage about events I have no control over.
    2. I'd rather be informed and be naive than be irritatingly negative, insulting in tone and content and downright useless in not even offering alternatives to just others attempts!

Sorry pal, I don't consider you very well informed about international politics, diplomacy or military matters. Well intentioned maybe, but not well informed.

I don't think I was insulting, I just don't share your opinion that ranting at strangers on the internet who disagree with you will solve anything.

In my first post in this thread I suggested that the only way to stop the fighting would be for the Arab League to get their sh1t together and intervene. I still stick with that. Economic sanctions didn't oust Saddam Hussein, the ordinary Iraqis just suffered more including approx. 1,000,000 Iraqi children who died.
    3. Thats your opinion.
    I disagree. Thats my opinion.
    I consider your negativity and lack of alternative suggestion(s) just as daft!

Fair enough, we have different opinions. Again, I wasn't being negative I was being realistic, there is a difference between the two.
    4. My post was not aimed at them but then anyone with a bit of kop, would have easily seen that!
    Something you missed then?

People with 'kop'? I'm going to presume you mean cop on, rather than a Boer word for a hill.

Do you really believe that you are rising people from their apathy by preaching at them? Anyone who is politically aware and motivated about the issue will get up off their arse and do something on their own initative.

Here's a tip for the future, you'll probably influence a lot more people if you sit back and let others join in the debate rather than ranting at anyone who disagrees with you.
    5. Aye yes... It was something you spin now that was/is now just opinion we can assume?
    So it wasn't something that was actually said now, it was just your mind and what it thought it saw?
    I see... Pity you don't!

There is no spin here. I never claimed it was a direct quote. If quoting another post I always use quote boxes or inverta commas.

It was a comment by me on the overly simplictic approach you (and some others) seem to have to what is an incredibly complex sectarian, class and tribal conflict which could act as the fuse for a much larger regional war.
    6. Now why didn't I think of that!
    Clearly something else you cannot see!

You do have a blog! I'm sure it makes for fascinating reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Apelles wrote: »
    Thats quite an unforunate outlook to have. What would you rather people just turned a blind eye to everything that doesn't directly concern themselves? what a sad selfish world that would lead to.

Really sh!tty stuff like this happens . . yes you guessed it, because 'good' people idly stand-by & just watch while doing nothing to help or even raise awareness.

Thanks Biggins for trying to enlighten us.
    Really sh1tty stuff like this happens because of evil dictators like Assad. Nobody's saying to turn a blind eye at all, just pointing out the irony of a post complaining about people here not doing anything... yet not doing anything either.

What power do you or I have to help put an end to this?

You do have a blog! I'm sure it makes for fascinating reading.
    Aye, maybe you might learn something from it even!

*Sigh*
    "Sorry Pal..."

???

*Sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Poccington wrote: »
    On July 1st, the Austro/German Battlegroup will go on standby and be on 5 days notice to move anywhere in the world until the end of 2012.

Moving in to open up a humanitarian corridor and provide protection for civilians until follow on forces arrive would be ideal for the Battlegroup to look after.

IMO, once the Battlegroup goes on standby and whether or not they deploy will show how serious the UN etc. are about what is going on in Syria.

Foward panzertruppen! For Freedoooom!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Aye, maybe you might learn something from it even!

Writing on AH about issues isn't actually doing anything.

Learning not to do anything isn't really learning. Blogs are a good lesson in this.

Writing on AH about issues isn't actually doing anything.

Says your opinion.
    Others is that they have become further informed... so I guess thats doing something then.
    Go figure!
    Learning not to do anything isn't really learning. Blogs are a good lesson in this.
    What in gods riddles are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

25,000 people die of starvation EVERY DAY yet where is the "war on hunger" ?

NATO have their own agenda with regards to Syria, I've still yet to hear anyone from NATO countries criticising Bahrain government, as a matter of fact, Obama recently approved a large arms deal to the Bahrain dictatorship, wasn't reported on the news funnily enough....

superluck wrote: »
    25,000 people die of starvation EVERY DAY yet where is the "war on hunger" ?

NATO have their own agenda with regards to Syria, I've still yet to hear anyone from NATO countries criticising Bahrain government, as a matter of fact, Obama recently approved a large arms deal to the Bahrain dictatorship, wasn't reported on the news funnily enough....

Then again on Friday, the first day of the massacres, Russia delivered a huge arms shipment again to the Assad government ...and people wonder why Russia is stopping embargoes and sanctions with their veto in the UN!

https://www.google.ie/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=russian+ship+arms+syria&oq=russian+arms+shipment+sy&aq=0q&aqi=g-q2&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i22l2.1037.7815.0.10370.24.19.0.4.4.0.338.2244.5j13j0j1.19.0...0.0.vrLLPTFpaKc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=e59eb8a130ba0159&biw=1440&bih=785

Damn, there I go again informing people thru AH - I mustn't be doing anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

In yet one more day (of many) of mass killings while the world does NOTHING, president Bashar Assad and his ordered army has murdered many, many more in central Syria on Friday.

LINK

As a poster on the news link above referred to, we are witnessing more 'Bosnia' style daily killings - and yet again the world is standing by doing little or nothing. Shame on all the nations standing by - including our own!

Bashar Assad AT THE VERY LEAST is now another war murdering criminal who's presence should belong in an international court of law.

UPDATE:

LINK.

This a disgrace.
    Every nation that is doing bugger all to stop this and/or saying nothing (again, including our own) ought to be ashamed of themselves.
    Terrible. Just terrible.

syria is just one nation where it happens, africa more often...

can't we just bomb only their military bases into the ground so they understand where we stand, shoudl they continue we invade ?

But that's what it's all about Biggins, do you honestly think NATO countries give a crap about how many people in Syria are being killed? They have an agenda of their own and could care less if the whole Syrian population were wiped out.

Look at Libya, look at Iraq or Afghanistan ...they're complete mess now thanks to NATO countries bombing them each into the stone age.

What exactly do you want to happen? Have NATO send in airstrikes?

I've a better idea, why don't we just let Israel fight it's own corner instead.

Pdfile wrote: »
    syria is just one nation where it happens, africa more often...

can't we just bomb only their military bases into the ground so they understand where we stand, shoudl they continue we invade ?

Invade is not always the answer.
    Look at the history of Vietnam (under the French, the Americans...), Afghanistan (under Russia), Afghanistan (under USA), Iraq (under many countries), and lots more...

Now a dozen snipers to take out the people of the regime and/or a few Seal/Sas squads would be debatable - however incorrect and illegal for sure!

• Advertisement

...I've a better idea, why don't we just let Israel fight it's own corner instead.

...And let the extremists of any government there bring about further possible progression of nuke use?
    I dunno - honest answer! I would be very weary - but thats a topic for a whole other big debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Anyone who encourages another American hard-on complete with uk cock-props deserves my flailing mace we know why they don't enter here.. their penis is already extended in too many places. Coupled with not enough lube, what's to gain?

Biggins...neo cons and israelis have been planning this for years

Panorama even exposed this back in 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cdhtxg8yE4&t=385

"conflict between freedom and tyranny"
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Libya
    • Syria
    These are countries that the neo-cons have successfully destroyed (with exception to Saudi Arabia, but that's inevitable in future)

These are countries which refused to be coerced by the rich and powerful that wanted to exploit resources in their countries. (namely oil and gas)

The people behind these wars don't care about the people in them, they just want each country to be in a sustained state of chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Poccington wrote: »

For this to happen would I be right in saying a UNSC resolution is required before they can do anything???? If so that isnt going to happen the Russians have too much vested interest in Syria not to Veto any vote put forward. The Chinese have stated they will not support intervention. It would appear the UN is powerless to intervene in the same way as say libya. Someone else has pointed out that the only naval presence Russia has in the region is a Syrian port which is currently being upgraded to account for Russian Battles ships. Russian engineers have been upgrading and integrating Syrian radar defence which may indicate the reported delivery of the S300 anit aircraft batteries has infact taken place. The S300 is a bad ass piece of kit well capable of tracking Israel and her airforce which would be part of the bigger picture with regard to Western calls against Assad.

Yes it is tragic whats happening and whoever ordered and murdered those kids are monster but they are pawns in a bigger game. Whats going on in Syria can only be sorted out by the Syrians themselves. The Russians have dug their heels in and are having none of the intervention option talk none at all. They have billions of dollars worth of military contracts with Assad and are on record as recently as April saying they will honor them, among other things, they dont want to see him fall. The only international intervention I can see would have to be unilateral and outside UN remit. To open a "humanitarian" corridor UN/unilateral planes would have to fly Syrian airspace and drop bombs on people - irony personified. If the Syrians have the S300 in place and operational I would wager those pilots and planes are in for a nasty surprise.

Syria is a mess once again its the average person losing life and limb its hard to say with any certainty what will happen there too many tangents in play to call it one way or the other.

Biggins...neo cons and israelis have been planning this for years
    Panorama even exposed this back in 2003
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cdhtxg8yE4&t=385
    "conflict between freedom and tyranny"
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Libya
    • Syria
    These are countries that the neo-cons have successfully destroyed (with exception to Saudi Arabia, but that's inevitable in future)
    These are countries which refused to be coerced by the rich and powerful that wanted to exploit resources in their countries. (namely oil and gas)
    The people behind these wars don't care about the people in them, they just want each country to be in a sustained state of chaos.

Maybe George Orwell had it right (via 1984) then!
    I assume you know what I'm alluding to (East-asia, Eurasia, Mothership One, ever fighting wars).

I've seen parts of the film 1984 but never read the book so I'm not sure what you're getting at, sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Now a dozen snipers to take out the people of the regime and/or a few Seal/Sas squads would be debatable - however incorrect and illegal for sure!

Yes, and then the new rulers of Syria will then turn the shells on Alawi tribes people, hence more finger wagging and media condemnation.

This says it best I think!

Once the media stops focusing attention on Syria, people quickly forget about it...they have brains of goldfish.

Like I said earlier, 25,000 people die every day of starvation and it's a problem that could be resolved if the UN wanted to.

Fact is, most of the powerful nations in UN don't give a **** about humanity and only want to achieve some strategic objective in Syria.

Once Assad is gone, NATO countries don't give a toss what happens, most likely they'll be just happy to see it broken up and overrun by chaos which is what is happening now in Libya.

I've seen parts of the film 1984 but never read the book so I'm not sure what you're getting at, sorry.

In the book, its espoused by the main character, that the nations are kept constantly at war (and constantly switching sides) to keep the 'proles' (the lower classes) in a constant state of jingoistic allegiance, loyalty, kept in a state of graft and labour, distracted and always subservient to authority (Big Brother).
    Never question, just meekly accept any state preaching for they are always right!

Short version: keep them happy and give them crumbs for they are dumb sheep to be herded. Keep them distracted, divide them and get your way.
    Sound familiar?
    (and the book was written in 1948)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fact is, most of the powerful nations in UN don't give a **** about humanity and only want to achieve some strategic objective in Syria.

yet many people will continue to be manipulated into believing that it is otherwise. it must be a self-image thing, whereby they need to believe in the simple cowboy and western narrative of events.

Advertisement