Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pedestrian crossings in Galway

Options
  • 26-05-2012 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Informational thread only.

I'm seeking information on the location of any new pedestrian crossings in Galway City, specifically pelican (signalised) and zebra crossings.

Timeframe: past 12 months.

Examples: Shantalla near junction with Maunsell's Road, Dr Mannix Road opposite Oaklands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Forster Street just as it joins Eyre Square, those lights are only there with the last month or two.
    In front of the cathedral as you turn towards Nun's Island there's a new set of lights that I only saw for the first time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Clybaun Rd (near sheridans pub)
    and
    Knocknacarra rd (outside Cashelmara)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Cashelmara? Somewhere around here, IIRC.

Is that a pedestrian-priority (eg zebra) crossing though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Between the Bus Stop and Roundabout at IDA Business Park in Parkmore - installation of Pelican Crossing currently ongoing. Lights not active yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The removal of the RAB in Briarhill put in a set of signalized crossings where there were unsignaled crossings previously.

• Advertisement

Between the Bus Stop and Roundabout at IDA Business Park in Parkmore - installation of Pelican Crossing currently ongoing. Lights not active yet.

How busy is that roundabout, compared to the main "tribal" ones? Do you think the new pelican crossing will make a difference to the roundabout 'experience'?

antoobrien wrote: »
    The removal of the RAB in Briarhill put in a set of signalized crossings where there were unsignaled crossings previously.

They're signals for all modes of travel though, especially cars. In this case I'm just interested in pedestrian crossings, whether signalised or not.

That said, if there are any toucan crossings I'd love to know about those as well.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Is that a pedestrian-priority (eg zebra) crossing though?

Now that you ask, (and I look a bit closer) its unclear what it is.
    There are dropped kerbs, tactile grips, white lines indicating a pathway for pedestrians, a middle island and enhanced street lighting but no zebra lines, approach signs or pedestrian lights.

Another place with new pedestrian lights, is at kingston rd (between capones and joyces)
    Utterly useless positioning as they are away from where people naturally cross.

How busy is that roundabout, compared to the main "tribal" ones? Do you think the new pelican crossing will make a difference to the roundabout 'experience'?

They're signals for all modes of travel though, especially cars. In this case I'm just interested in pedestrian crossings, whether signalised or not.

That said, if there are any toucan crossings I'd love to know about those as well.

They're signallised ped crossings that weren't there this time last year - be gracious and accept help when you're getting it.

It's a busy roundabout but would not be on par in terms of traffic volumes with the N6. Main reason for the crossing I presume is to facilitate pedestrians getting to and from the NEW Bus Stop shelter from Parkmore West. This Bus Stop is now the terminus bus stop for both the No 409 and No 403.

They're signallised ped crossings that weren't there this time last year - be gracious and accept help when you're getting it.

Nope they are signallised traffic signals with more than one aspect. Anyways read the OP again it was clear the OP was specific in that it was just pedestrian crossings that they where interested in.

• Advertisement

I would see the long-awaited conversion of roundabouts as a separate -- though welcome -- category. I'm graciously accepting the removal of roundabouts as a big help to pedestrians :), but in this thread I'm really looking for specific examples of new zebra and pelican crossings for pedestrians.

Just to emphasise, in case my OP wasn't clear: what I am referring to is pedestrian-only priority crossings for people travelling on foot. The examples given so far: Nun's Island, Clybaun Road, Parkmore Road, Forster Street, Shantalla Road, Dr Mannix Road.

All of the above affect motorised traffic, obviously, but their function is to facilitate pedestrians, which is the focus of this thread.

In the unlikely event that there are toucan crossings in the city, I'd like to hear about those also.

Nope they are signallised traffic signals with more than one aspect. Anyways read the OP again it was clear the OP was specific in that it was just pedestrian crossings that they where interested in.

There was a ped crossing - the tunnel - there for 15 years. These are extra ped crossings.

There was a ped crossing - the tunnel - there for 15 years. These are extra ped crossings.

Tunnel is still there - dont know what your point is about this? Yes there are pedestrian lights as part of the whole traffic signal scheme but the OP is looking for "standalone" pedestrian facilities.
    specifically pelican (signalised) and zebra crossings.

Tunnel is still there - dont know what your point is about this? Yes there are pedestrian lights as part of the whole traffic signal scheme but the OP is looking for "standalone" pedestrian facilities.

The O.P. doesn't say standalone pedestrian crossings, it says:
    I'm seeking information on the location of any new pedestrian crossings in Galway City, specifically pelican (signalised) and zebra crossings.

Now consider the the o.p.'s often expressed disdain for the lack of pedestrian facilities at roundabouts - that makes this a new ped crossing.

My point is that there is a light controlled pedestrian crossing where there was none 12 months ago. If the o.p. doesn't want to know this then the poster should amend the o.p. with the new terms and I'll delete my posts.

rain on wrote: »
    In front of the cathedral as you turn towards Nun's Island there's a new set of lights that I only saw for the first time today.

Coming from the Salmon Weir? They're there for a long time (I'd suggest more than a year), but have they been switched on?

In the unlikely event that there are toucan crossings in the city, I'd like to hear about those also.

Whats a toucan crossing?

A toucan crossing is a wider form of the more usual pelican (signalised) crossing for pedestrians. The name toucan was chosen because "two can" cross, ie cyclists and pedestrians.

Now that I think of it, perhaps they don't exist in the Republic of Ireland at all.

Still not activated. Light mountings on the poles - but not the lights themselves.

Still not activated. Light mountings on the poles - but not the lights themselves.

Still the same situation on the 09.07.2012

A toucan crossing is a wider form of the more usual pelican (signalised) crossing for pedestrians. The name toucan was chosen because "two can" cross, ie cyclists and pedestrians.

Now that I think of it, perhaps they don't exist in the Republic of Ireland at all.

Toucan crossing - These are in place on at least one of the arms on ballybane lights junction. The South side of the junction.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Must have a look.

I'm not allowed post in the SQR thread of course, but I will say that I have found the cycle crossing lights useful for turning right into Rahoon Road at the Glen Oaks junction. Only problem is the apparent brevity of the green phase for cyclists.

Only problem is the apparent brevity of the green phase for cyclists.
    True + I would say the one very problematic junction on the SQR for cyclists is the Glen Dara junction. No solutions evident as of yet on the Glen Dara junction for cyclists turning right off SQR/BOD here. Presume they will put in Hook Turn boxes.

Toucan crossing - These are in place on at least one of the arms on ballybane lights junction. The South side of the junction.

Toucan are on 3 sections of the Ballybane lights junction. Useful for cyclists and pedestrians who want to continue onto the Monivea Road East and Westbound.

Installing the lights today at 13h00, not active yet. Possibly an overkill solution? perhaps raised zebra crossings on all arms of the roundabout would have been a simpler solution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'm not allowed post in the SQR thread of course, but I will say that I have found the cycle crossing lights useful for turning right into Rahoon Road at the Glen Oaks junction. Only problem is the apparent brevity of the green phase for cyclists.

Now that you got all that information you requested on lights around the city...WHAT??? are you going to do with it?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

buzz11 wrote: »
    Clybaun Rd (near sheridans pub)

Nobody pays attention to this one, most recently some cock in a van owned by a local elecrtical engineers firm almost killed me and a friend. We stood at it for about 30 seconds, traffic coming from the right stopped and he was ages away, so I assumed he'd notice the big flashing orange lights and the zebra print on the road so started moving, prick barrelled right past us, even sped up! only to be stuck 20 years further along the road in traffic, when i passed his van the prick starts making gestures out the window as if I was at fault, was tempted to kick the van.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Nobody pays attention to this one, most recently some cock in a van owned by a local elecrtical engineers firm almost killed me and a friend. We stood at it for about 30 seconds, traffic coming from the right stopped and he was ages away, so I assumed he'd notice the big flashing orange lights and the zebra print on the road so started moving, prick barrelled right past us, even sped up! only to be stuck 20 years further along the road in traffic, when i passed his van the prick starts making gestures out the window as if I was at fault, was tempted to kick the van.

Hopefully the more of them that are installed around Galway City - then more road users will become familiar with how they are supposed to be used; and will get less of above behaviour. The GTU should run an education campaign on how Zebra crossings work.

Installing the lights today at 13h00, not active yet. Possibly an overkill solution? perhaps raised zebra crossings on all arms of the roundabout would have been a simpler solution?

Do you think there is adamant and active opposition to such crossings in City Hall/GTU?

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »

The dangerous driving on that stretch was highlighted a while back:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24736-residents-see-red-over-new-pedestrian-crossing-danger

The speeding on Clybaun Road is not the worst, but I wonder whether the zebra crossing needs traffic calming in the vicinity to make it less of a risk for pedestrians, especially children en route to and from St John the Apostle primary school?

The Athy roundabout (at the Clybaun Hotel) could do with those raised zebra crossings on all arms, as could every other roundabout on the WDR.

Advertisement