Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato spray for wooly aphids

Options
  • 26-05-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Wooly aphids have landed in force on my box plants. Was reading about using homemade tomato spray to deal with them.

Also read it wont harm beneficial creatures, only the aphids, unlike garlic spray. Anybody else used it or have any thoughts?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I had heard of this before but have not heard of actual success with it. But this could've been due to application issues.

I would've just used pure alcohol for the woolies as I know this works.

I use derris root for greenfly but obviously need to stop this soon.

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Sure Ill give it a go.

One cup chopped tomato leaves in two cups of water and left to steep overnight. Sieve the leaves out and then add another cup of water and put in a sprayer bottle.

Sprayed one of the box balls. If it works Ill do the rest.

If not Ill get an army of ladybirds, probably a better idea to be honest. :)

Decided to collect some ladybirds today because my allotment is full of them. Hopefully they will tuck into the woolys for dinner. :)

There does seem to be less woolys on the box ball that I sprayed with tomato spray but will give it another go and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Ah that's not fair, can't compete with a secret stash of ladybirds!

Very jealous Mucky, I can't seem to keep the little fvckers in my garden.

Next thing Ill have to do is make some 'ladybird houses' so they will have somewhere to hibernate over winter.

Also, note to myself and anyone else who has/ wants ladybirds....

Dont tidy up too much in Autumn/ Winter. Ladybirds hibernate in hollow stems, such as Verbena, Sweetcorn, etc. which we tend to cut back and dispose of. :eek::eek::eek:

The little guys could be in there , so dont throw anything away. You could make an Insect Hotel and every year top it up with your garden clippings each time you 'tidy up the garden'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Found a load of them on the foxgloves and also baby ladybirds on the birch tree.

Lovely little creatures indeed.No more wooly aphids either.:)

Advertisement