Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity or NUIG?

• 26-05-2012 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wanted to get others opinions. :)

Basically the only two courses I applied for are that I'd actually do are the Trinity Access Programme and Arts in NUIG. Most people are worried that they might not be offered anything that they like, but I'm more worried that I'd be offered both that I like. :o TAP is an interview/essay process and Arts is done through the CAO. Both courses have there ups and downs:

TAP-Negatives
    -It would take one year of TAP (like a Liberal Arts PLC) and then I could get into Trinity Psychology for 4 years. So it would take me five years just to get my BA.
    -There is a chance that I wouldn't get into psychology in Trinity.
    -I don't know if I'd acc like Trinity. Seemed a bit impersonal when I was there, apparently lecturers aren't very approachable, but I can't really judge it as I've never studied there.
    -I'd have to live at home.

TAP-Positives
    -Degree from Trinity would look pretty decent on the ol' CV.
    -Trinity's psychology course is the 48th best in the world and the best in Ireland.
    -The degree itself is really great and involves a research project for all of fourth year which would help when applying for PhD positions. In Galway I'd have to do this on my own as a post graduate.
    -It would be cheaper as I wouldn't have to pay for accommodation.
    -You get paid for TAP.
    -Once a Trinity student you get a free gym membership. Ugh, that would be so nice.
    -They have a triathlon club.

NUIG-Negatives
    -Would have to pay for accommodation (although I am pretty sure grants will cover most/all of this).
    -Would have to share a bedroom with a complete stranger (Argh, what if they are freaks who bring over loads of people to have sex with or drink all the time or party all the time or judge the fact that I stay in most Friday nights and make cat jigsaws while devising a meal and exercise plan for the following week ;_; )
    -Gym membership isn't free, it's like €250 per year and I'd be going home for the summer so I couldn't even use it then! I just love the gym. </3
    -No triathlon club. :( Although if there was interest I would most definitely start one up.

NUIG-Positives
    -The degree would only take me 3 or 4 years depending on my first year results.
    -I really liked NUIG when I was there.
    -I could live away from home.
    -I could have a fresh start. New people, no one will know who I am etc. This is actually a fairly big deal for me, at home I live with my nan who is really homophobic so I'm not very out in Dublin. In Trinity people might know me, and I'd be terrified something would get back to my house. Whereas I'll know literally no one in Galway.
    -I love the countryside. Not a huge fan of the city. So much hustle and bustle and nasty car fumes. :( Galway is slightly better in that sense.

Well that's all I can think of for now. I'm posting here because obv if I posted in Trinity or NUIG I'd get some seriously biased answers :rolleyes: and I dunno it all seems a tad personal so the LC forum seemed like the best choice. Also, sorry for how personal it is, just wanted to get some informed opinions back. (thank the lord for the anonymity of boards!)

Thanks guys. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭easterbride

I would recommend NUIG as I studied there! You would not necessarily need to share a room in Galway. Most of the student accommodation seems to be single ensuite rooms as far as I know. I lived in private acc and never shared a room, the rent was always reasonable. There is a LGB society in college and we had a good friend who was a member, like you he was open in college but not at home. He found college great as it offered him a place to be true to himself and meet like minded people, he had a few open relationships and didn't really encounter any homophobic behaviour AFAIK.

Trinity has a wonderful reputation and I it would be nice to walk through those gates every morning. When you receive your offer/offers it will be easier to make up your mind. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I would recommend NUIG as I studied there! You would not necessarily need to share a room in Galway. Most of the student accommodation seems to be single ensuite rooms as far as I know. I lived in private acc and never shared a room, the rent was always reasonable. There is a LGB society in college and we had a good friend who was a member, like you he was open in college but not at home. He found college great as it offered him a place to be true to himself and meet like minded people, he had a few open relationships and didn't really encounter any homophobic behaviour AFAIK.

Trinity has a wonderful reputation and I it would be nice to walk through those gates every morning. When you receive your offer/offers it will be easier to make up your mind. Good luck!

Thanks for the response. :)
    I already booked my room, twin ensuite in Centrepoint. :o I wanted student accomm for the first year and that was the cheapest possible one. Would definitely look into private accomm for my second and third years though. Yeah when I was there the students seemed a nice and friendly bunch, wouldn't imagine I'd run into any hassle.

Roll on August I suppose. :) Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

If you're planning on going abroad, the name Trinity, stands out so much more than any other college in this country.

Advertisement