Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

heifer with tongue sticking out

• 26-05-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

just came in from checking the heifers and noticed one frothing a bit and standing with her tongue out continously and panting a bit i know the heat is serious out there but she was standing beside the water trough and wouldnt even drink is this normal ? she doing everything else ok

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i have a field of them doing that:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Is that not sunstroke ?
    Remember me father would put one in if they were like that in hot sunny weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

bbam wrote: »
    Is that not sunstroke ?

Yes I think it does sound like sunstroke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

sure i'm the same myself today;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

You weren't sticking your tongue out all day were you whelan? :D

thats for me to know and you to find out:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    sure i'm the same myself today;)
    If this was over in the After Hours forum someone would make a sly Heifer joke right about now.. but we wouldn't stoop that low here in Farming & Forestry :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

leoch,
    Have they shade in the field they are in? Big Oaks and the like, come in handy on a day like today. Maybe no harm put them into a shed if they get like that again. That's what I was advised to do, by Vet, with a cow suffering from photosentization. No harm, let them out again come evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I had it with calves that were inside in a shed. treated 7 of them with 7cc of alamycin for 3 days. 6 were OK within a day, one still coughing and breathing fast so he`s still being treated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

a slight sidetrack here but noticed 2 bulling heifers with blood from their arseholes(top one) but they seem fine.actually noticed one earlier in the week but put it down to repeating after ai.could they have been hurt in the ai process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Any chance they met a bull with a dirty mind or maybe a young fella that didnt know where to put it :eek:
    Wouldnt take much notice once they aren't sick
    I had one or two that got broken tails from the bull over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Always wondered why big fields divided into paddocks have no shade area. Cattle always move to top of the hills here to catch the wind or stand under the bushes.

Fields without shade must be stressful for cattle and calves in this kind of heat.

pakalasa wrote: »
    leoch,
    Have they shade in the field they are in? Big Oaks and the like, come in handy on a day like today. Maybe no harm put them into a shed if they get like that again. That's what I was advised to do, by Vet, with a cow suffering from photosentization. No harm, let them out again come evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

yes they have trees to shade from the sun but wouldnt stand under them yesterday she seems fine today eating away at grass no bother they dont seem to drink much more water in them hot days i noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

leoch wrote: »
    yes they have trees to shade from the sun but wouldnt stand under them yesterday she seems fine today eating away at grass no bother they dont seem to drink much more water in them hot days i noticed

Is the water warm? Tepid water is not nice for man nor beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

sounds like timber tongue

BalingMad wrote: »
    sounds like timber tongue
    how does it sound like timber tongue:confused: the op never mentioned drooling which is one of the main signs of timber tongue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

the heifer is grand since she is eating and drinking away and no the water was not warm,it was just that hot day she was at it ,whats timber tongue by the way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Timber Tongue is an infection of the tongue caused by specific bacteria. Causes drooling, swelling of the tongue, fluid accumulation under the jaw and eventually the hard, swollen tongue pokes out of the mouth. Animals will disintegrate over 24 hours in bad cases (i.e. fall away to nothing).

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

whelan1 wrote: »
    how does it sound like timber tongue:confused: the op never mentioned drooling which is one of the main signs of timber tongue

Relax kid, the very first post said froth coming from the mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

greysides wrote: »
    Animals will disintegrate over 24 hours in bad cases (i.e. fall away to nothing).

I have never experienced a rapid decline with timber tongue, are these numerous strains? Usually get 3/4 cases a year but relatively easy to treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I have never experienced a rapid decline with timber tongue, are these numerous strains? Usually get 3/4 cases a year but relatively easy to treat

How do you treat it bob? Does it take long for the animal to come right?

Advertisement