Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

students and electricity

Options
  • 26-05-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Moved into a 3 bedroom apartment to start college last September with people I didnt know. When our first electricity bill arrived neither of my two flatmates seems to care despite getting numerous overdue letters ,deposits required letters and treats of our supply getting cut off .I took the responsibility of setting up a direct debit account hoping this would encourage them to pay there part of the bill but to no avail .I then cancelled the direct debit for esb because I didn't think it was fair on me to get bad credit rating with my bank over something I was trying to take responsibly for . I then paid my third of the bill for the fist 2 months ( 85 €) in my local post office and i have the reciept for that . One of my flat mates paid 55€ and I suspect the other has paid nothing . I know a 300 € deposit is now required which you will get back after 14 months but seeing as our lease is only 9 months and we wont be living here after next week we wont be getting that back . We received a esb for near 700 euro yesterday and I dont know what to do as i dont know whether to pay a third of it or all of it seen as neither of my flatmates will pay . any advice /help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi fairyribbon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma. The first thing I recommend you do is contact your landlord, as this is essentially a tenant dispute.

I can appreciate that you were only trying to take responsibility and encourage your housemates to do the same, but unfortunately from our point of view, we can only consider the named account holder liable.
    I know a 300 € deposit is now required which you will get back after 14 months but seeing as our lease is only 9 months and we wont be living here after next week we wont be getting that back

The €300 security deposit isn't a requirement if you are paying by direct debit, and it is refunded when an account is closed (but after 14 months if the account is still open).

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement