Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics (HL) Predictions 2012

• 26-05-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Copied the idea from the Accounting one- we all like to share on boards. So, what do you think will come up in Economics on the 20th of June?

What will come up on the Economics Paper 94 votes

Monopoly
    0%
    Imperfect Competition
    0%
    Oligopoly
    9%
    RoscoBosco93DiamondsandroseMeglamoniajamiered81Emz93ST VINCENTbobjimmyskangerCruel Sun 9 votes
    Perfect Competition
    0%
    Combination of some of the above
    4%
    PictureFramejamiered81Grealish123skanger 4 votes
    Land
    1%
    ireland93 1 vote
    Labour
    3%
    PictureFramejamiered81HowAreWe 3 votes
    Capital
    4%
    DiamondsandroseEmz93bobjimmyCruel Sun 4 votes
    Enterprise
    0%
    Combination of FOP'S
    2%
    Diamondsandrosebobjimmy 2 votes
    Elasticity (almost full question)
    3%
    MeglamoniaGrealish123skanger 3 votes
    Costs
    10%
    DiamondsandroseMeglamoniaPictureFramejamiered81Emz93Grealish123ST VINCENTbobjimmyskangerCruel Sun 10 votes
    Demand/Supply
    1%
    Diamondsandrose 1 vote
    Utility/Consumer Behaviour
    7%
    DiamondsandroseMeglamoniaPictureFramejamiered81Emz93skangerCruel Sun 7 votes
    Government Taxation
    0%
    National Debt
    7%
    DiamondsandroseMeglamoniaPictureFrameGrealish123bobjimmyskangerCruel Sun 7 votes
    National Income/Expenditure
    6%
    MeglamoniaPictureFrameGrealish123ST VINCENTbobjimmyskanger 6 votes
    International Trade
    7%
    RoscoBosco93Meglamoniajamiered81Grealish123ST VINCENTbobjimmyskanger 7 votes
    Money/Banking
    9%
    DiamondsandroseMeglamoniaPictureFramejamiered81Emz93Grealish123bobjimmyskangerCruel Sun 9 votes
    Population/Economic Growth
    5%
    RoscoBosco93MeglamoniaGrealish123skangerCruel Sun 5 votes
    Inflation/Deflation
    1%
    Emz93 1 vote
    History of Economic Thought
    4%
    DiamondsandrosePictureFrameGrealish123Cruel Sun 4 votes
    NAMA
    2%
    PictureFrameGrealish123 2 votes
    Topical Issues/House Prices etc.
    3%
    RoscoBosco93DiamondsandroseST VINCENT 3 votes
    Performance of Irish Economy
    6%
    DiamondsandroseMeglamoniajamiered81ST VINCENTskangerCruel Sun 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I hope taxation and enterprise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Imperfect and Perfect
    Mix of factors
    Demand,Supply elasticity all as one
    Gov Income + topical issue bailout etc
    International trade + either History or something else to fill the question
    Money and banking

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Anyone want to give an imput on their predictions for the leaving cert economics paper 2012?

I personally think imperfect competition, taxation, national income and trade are likely. Usually wouldn't trust most predictions but economics seems to be one of the most predictable subjects out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

Anyone want to give an imput on their predictions for the leaving cert economics paper 2012?

I personally think imperfect competition, taxation, national income and trade are likely. Usually wouldn't trust most predictions but economics seems to be one of the most predictable subjects out there!

I hate all the 6th year work, such as the market structure etc..

Any way you can study everything else about from them and be able to answer the paper?

MartieG wrote: »
    I hate all the 6th year work, such as the market structure etc..

Any way you can study everything else about from them and be able to answer the paper?

You mean the micro economics section? Well yes there's usually four questions on micro (demand, supply, elasticity, market structures) and four from macro (national income, CPI, trade etc.), so technically you can get away with it but it doesn't leave much choice for long questions and micro could come up in the short questions.

• Advertisement

You mean the micro economics section? Well yes there's usually four questions on micro (demand, supply, elasticity, market structures) and four from macro (national income, CPI, trade etc.), so technically you can get away with it but it doesn't leave much choice for long questions and micro could come up in the short questions.

Any advice on what to learn?

Any advice on what to learn?

Taxation, the household charge and water tax are very current, trade is due up, inflation and deflation, national income, IMF ECB etc. Supply and demand will most likely come up as one question and is usually very handy.

Taxation, the household charge and water tax are very current, trade is due up, inflation and deflation, national income, IMF ECB etc. Supply and demand will most likely come up as one question and is usually very handy.

Thanks for that. Would you advice to study marking schemes on them topics, as I don't have much notes on them, as you can tell I don't have the best teacher in the world !

Thanks for that. Would you advice to study marking schemes on them topics, as I don't have much notes on them, as you can tell I don't have the best teacher in the world !

Yeah wouldn't be a bad idea, the beauty of this paper is it's mostly bullet points with a little explanation. Common sense can get you a long way, particularly on the macro part.

Yeah wouldn't be a bad idea, the beauty of this paper is it's mostly bullet points with a little explanation. Common sense can get you a long way, particularly on the macro part.

Thanks for that. I just cant get into my head the micro, no matter how much I study it. Do you know if there are any good notes online/websites for the macro?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I just cant get into my head the micro, no matter how much I study it. Do you know if there are any good notes online/websites for the macro?

Couldn't say really, I had an excellent teacher so I just worked off their notes really. Also it might be worth your while looking up some current figures for the likes of inflation and rate of employment, they can really impress an examiner. ;)

Couldn't say really, I had an excellent teacher so I just worked off their notes really. Also it might be worth your while looking up some current figures for the likes of inflation and rate of employment, they can really impress an examiner. ;)

Good stuff, don't suppose any of them notes can be uploaded here no?
    Thanks for that, I'll look that stuff up closer to the exam, I haven't looked at economics yet, I have a week 2 study it after my last exam, so hopefully that will be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

NAMA
    Haven't studied this in ages, need an A. Hopefully the A1, but I wouldn't be too upset with an A2 either (got one in the Mocks :pac:). Anyway, predictions- i'm doing most of the course anyway:
    • Mix of Imperfect and Perfect Competition
    • Land (only been up once in 2005)
    • Elasticity (50 marks hopefully)
    • Demand and Supply, (more focused on graphs this year i'd imagine, equilibrium and that, had barely any graphs last year)
    • International Trade- Certainty. Maybe a Law of Comparative Average question
    • Inflation, CPI calculation (hopefully)
    • ECB, World Bank and IMF
    • Taxation/National Debt
    • Smith, Ricardo, Keynes

Good stuff, don't suppose any of them notes can be uploaded here no?
    Thanks for that, I'll look that stuff up closer to the exam, I haven't looked at economics yet, I have a week 2 study it after my last exam, so hopefully that will be enough.

I would but none of them are typed up so I've no way of getting them up here sorry. :( Haha same here I plan on cramming five days before it when I have all the other exams out of the way.

Haven't studied this in ages, need an A. Hopefully the A1, but I wouldn't be too upset with an A2 either (got one in the Mocks :pac:). Anyway, predictions- i'm doing most of the course anyway:
    • Mix of Imperfect and Perfect Competition
    • Land (only been up once in 2005)
    • Elasticity (50 marks hopefully)
    • Demand and Supply, (more focused on graphs this year i'd imagine, equilibrium and that, had barely any graphs last year)
    • International Trade- Certainty. Maybe a Law of Comparative Average question
    • Inflation, CPI calculation (hopefully)
    • ECB, World Bank and IMF
    • Taxation/National Debt
    • Smith, Ricardo, Keynes

For taxation, surely the household charge will come up? Regressive lads that's all we need to know! ;) What other current topics do you think are likely to appear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

NAMA
    For taxation, surely the household charge will come up? Regressive lads that's all we need to know! ;) What other current topics do you think are likely to appear?
    I'm not really pushed on Macro tbh! If there's a nice Market structure, FOP, D&S question and either Trade/National Income i'll be ok! Really really would love the A1 as I teach it to myself so it would be class to see that on the page! :D

I'm not really pushed on Macro tbh! If there's a nice Market structure, FOP, D&S question and either Trade/National Income i'll be ok! Really really would love the A1 as I teach it to myself so it would be class to see that on the page! :D

Same here, it's my best subject and I'd be disappointed if I didn't get an A. True, macro can be a lil unpredictable at times, with micro you know there's only so much they can ask. Would nearly bet my life that imperfect is coming up! :D

Advertisement