Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Cameras + PVR

Options
  • 26-05-2012 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

My brother in-law recently rumbled a would be burglar in early hours of the morning at his homeplace and he has decided to install some cameras there covering the most vulnerable locations. His parents spend alot of time abroad and he has also discovered that local teenagers were trespassing and using the pool without permission as he filled it this week for the sunny weather and this was bang out of order.

I have been researching some IP cameras and what we have decided is a system in which we would have 3 or 4 cameras running and fed back by Cat5 or wireless to a PVR within the house which would record the 4 streams and I am thinking we need a dedicated PC or some sort of PVR which would record the feeds at all times and allow him to check back the footage say last Tuesday at at 9pm etc. The house is unoccupied but is still functional and it has an Eircom 3mb connection and we are thinking that if he could remote in from his place and review the footage or from his Galaxy SII smartphone.

He heard such a system would cost several thousand but we have decided to give it a go ourselves as I am good enough at networking and doing a DIY job would help keeps costs down but it still looks like it would cost 2 or 3k which his parents said to go ahead and do so we are going to try it out!

Any help or suggestions for something like this would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

for 2-3k you would get serious kit... the hardest part is installing the cameras and running the cables... the setting up part is the easy part if like u say u are ok with networking.... u can easily remote view them live either thru a smart phone or a laptop/ ipad and play it back...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

when u say PVR i think u mean DVR???
    if u use ip cams then u need a NVR...
    The DVR acts as a server and has a hard drive built in so no need 4 a dedicated pc to monitor it....

Advertisement