Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red C poll - Yes 49% (-4), No 35% (+4), DK 16% (nc)

• 26-05-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Sunday Business Post just released these numbers.

Yes 49% (-4)
    No 35% (+4)
    DK (nc)

Party support figures:
    FG 30% (+1)
    SF 19% (-2)
    FF 18% (-1)
    Lab 15% (+2)
    Others 18%

Swing to the no side but can they bridge the gap in the final days?

I think as a no voter that this is mildly encouraging, considering that the yes side in EU referenda has never once dropped under 45%. The rest is up for grabs, and Nice I was lost despite a 45-28 gap in the final poll in 2001.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

You've mixed up the changes in voting patterns in your post as opposed to the heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

You've mixed up the changes in voting patterns in your post as opposed to the heading.
    Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Interestingly on the same page there is a link for this article.
    90% of Irish economists 'back a Yes vote'

Survey claims nine out of ten economists back Yes vote

Nine out of ten of "Ireland’s leading economists" say a yes vote in the Fiscal Treaty is in Ireland’s best interest, according to a new survey,

The Indecon International Economic Consultants survey of the views of 44 economists in Ireland also claims that one of the most significant impacts of the Treaty vote arises from the inability to access EMS Funds if Ireland voted ‘No’.

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/Politics/90%25+of+Irish+economists+%27back+a+Yes+vote%27/id/19410615-5218-4fbf-93e6-390982093312

meglome wrote: »
    Irish economists failed woefully to predict the housing crash, apart from a select few like Morgan Kelly and David McWilliams.

Irish[/URL] economists failed woefully to predict the housing crash, apart from a select few like Morgan Kelly and David McWilliams.

Well all right then best we assume they know absolutely nothing about economics then. We should ask a bloke down the pub as they're bound to know better.

Wasn't it McWilliams that recommended the bank guarantee?

If the survey is correct and 90% of our economists agree with a Yes that is very significant indeed. No matter how much you try to dismiss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

It's all over.

60% Yes.
    40% No.

It should be cancelled. All that will happen is that the yes vote will ultimately rise to 65%. At least 2/3rds of the Irish people want to make sure that we are in a position to keep the schools / hospitals and social welfare systems alive.

It's not over. Not a single vote has been cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

It's all over.

60% Yes.
    40% No.

It should be cancelled. All that will happen is that the yes vote will ultimately rise to 65%. At least 2/3rds of the Irish people want to make sure that we are in a position to keep the schools / hospitals and social welfare systems alive.

Do you not realise the yes vote in recent polls is declining and the no vote is increasing. Look up the word 'trends' online. :rolleyes:

Do you not realise the yes vote in recent polls is declining and the no vote is increasing. Look up the word 'trends' online. :rolleyes:

You look up the word 'result' next Friday!

You look up the word 'result' next Friday!

I think there is a good chance that the 'yes' will win, just your prediction of the margin of the win makes no sense given recent polling figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Sunday Business Post just released these numbers.

Yes 49% (-4)
    No 35% (+4)
    DK (nc)

Swing to the no side but can they bridge the gap in the final days?

I think as a no voter that this is mildly encouraging, considering that the yes side in EU referenda has never once dropped under 45%. The rest is up for grabs, and Nice I was lost despite a 45-28 gap in the final poll in 2001.

With every election and referendum, there is always one poll that falls victim of the margin of error.

We have had 4 polls this weekend - these boards have highlighted the Irish Times and SBP polls but there are also polls tomorrow in the Sunday Times and Sindo.

What do the polls tell us?

Three of the four polls show us that the "Yes" vote has increased faster than the "No" vote and that the result once you exclude undecided voters is about 60-40 in favour. The other poll shows the "No" vote gaining faster than the "Yes" vote but with a broadly similar picture to the other polls once undecided voters are excluded.

All in all, the indications are that this referendum will be comfortably carried.

I think there is a good chance that the 'yes' will win, just your prediction of the margin of the win makes no sense given recent polling figures.

Why don't we have a chat next week and see who was making sense. At least 60% Yes. I called it 2 months ago and I guarantee you it will happen. If you can't see it now, you will learn.

you also need to remember who are the most likely groups in society to vote, and they are not the defeated No's. I reckon it might actually end up closer to 70% yes, but I'll stick at my safe 60%.

See you next Friday (if you're up for it).

Why don't we have a chat next week and see who was making sense. At least 60% Yes. I called it 2 months ago and I guarantee you it will happen. If you can't see it now, you will learn.

you also need to remember who are the most likely groups in society to vote, and they are not the defeated No's. I reckon it might actually end up closer to 70% yes, but I'll stick at my safe 60%.

See you next Friday (if you're up for it).

In the middle class Dublin constituencies, I can see about a 65% yes vote, but everywhere else the margin won't be so big. The level of anger over lost jobs, and other things is too big at the moment in several constituencies, for the yes to run away with it.

As for most likely to vote, it will be easier for yes voters to go a bit complacent after these polls.

I think the yes side will win btw, but not by the margin you're predicting. Gloating is not a trait I welcome, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Re the OP's title, the trends in brackets compare the last 2 Red C/SBP polls (Mar 13 & 26), however, Red C also did a poll for Paddy Power on May 18th. Taking this poll into account the result would look like: Yes 49% (-1), No 35% (+4), DK 16% (-3).

It's also worth noting that the last poll was taken before it was announced that there will be no changes to the text of the treaty and that Hollande's growth agenda would be pursued in parallel initiatives (see link); this effectively negated one of the no side's major arguments.

It might sound obvious but the most important thing for the yes side is not to assume a yes is in the bag and to go out and vote - remember Nice 1.

In the middle class Dublin constituencies, I can see about a 65% yes vote, but everywhere else the margin won't be so big. The level of anger over lost jobs, and other things is too big at the moment in several constituencies, for the yes to run away with it.

As for most likely to vote, it will be easier for yes voters to go a bit complacent after these polls.

I think the yes side will win btw, but not by the margin you're predicting. Gloating is not a trait I welcome, tbh.

What is you prediction? 58 / 42?

I'm not gloating. I'm just making a prediction.

What is you prediction? 58 / 42?

I'm not gloating. I'm just making a prediction.

I am thinking 56/44 to YES, give or take a few percent either way.

Pretty much in line with the recent polls, if you leave out undecided voters.

I am thinking 56/44 to YES, give or take a few percent either way.

Pretty much in line with the recent polls, if you leave out undecided voters.

Ah OK. Not much between us then, 60/40 or 56/44, all the same ultimately. I just thought that you felt that the No side were somewhat closer.

Ah OK. Not much between us then, 60/40 or 56/44, all the same ultimately. I just thought that you felt that the No side were somewhat closer.

You have given readers of this thread three different percentages now, lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah that's true of a couple of middle class constituencies, you'll also get 65% No in Donegal! Personally I'm shocked at these poll results, thought it would be much closer at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Interestingly the Red C poll says that support for the Treaty amongst 35-54 yr olds has dropped back from 62% to 51%.

• Advertisement

I've updated the original post to include party-support figures, which interestingly show a much lower level of support for FG and somewhat lower for SF, which nonetheless remains the second largest party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hopeful news that a No vote may yet prevail with momentum moving to the No side. Given the unenthusiastic, fearful, grudging rationales offered for a Yes vote, reluctant Yes voters will hopefully fail to show up on the day.

Good to see Fianna Fail is down again too.

Interesting to see No's clutching at straws. Not one legitimate reason as to why it makes sense. Lets park it up until next Friday.

BTW, FF will poll greater than 25% in next election. Mark it down. Bad results coming for the lefties now!! Boards will have to go into mourning!!!

Sand wrote: »
    Hopeful news that a No vote may yet prevail with momentum moving to the No side. Given the unenthusiastic, fearful, grudging rationales offered for a Yes vote, reluctant Yes voters will hopefully fail to show up on the day.

Good to see Fianna Fail is down again too.

Sand I've seen some excellent posts from you but this isn't one of them. Actually it's the most disingenuous post I've ever seen from you.

Passing through Dublin today there were some whopper bullshít no posters. I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post them. My favourite had the Jaws shark on it.

Every day online I read dozens of utter lies and exaggerations from the no camp. I'm no fan of how our referenda are run generally or how the government campaign specifically but the no camp have yet again scraped the bottom of the barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Every day online I read dozens of utter lies and exaggerations from the no camp. I'm no fan of how our referenda are run generally or how the government campaign specifically but the no camp have yet again scraped the bottom of the barrel.

Aye I am sick of the lies and scaremongering on the No posters, you'd think voting No would cure all our problems, balance the budget without tax rises or spending cuts and return us to growth at the strike of a pen.

Sand I've seen some excellent posts from you but this isn't one of them. Actually it's the most disingenuous post I've ever seen from you.

Passing through Dublin today there were some whopper bullshít no posters. I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post them. My favourite had the Jaws shark on it.

If the referendum is passed, this place will turn into a graveyard.

If the vote no posters are to be believed, we will have voted yes for household charges, water charges, bank bailouts, more austerity, more taxes, etc. so there will be no need to debate these issues anymore.

Theres three groups of voters out there right now:

People voting No for the wrong reasons.
    People voting No for the right reasons.
    People voting Yes for the wrong reasons.

A No vote is absolutely in the interests of Ireland, and a Yes vote would be absolutely against Ireland's interests. If people want to vote No because household charges, water charges, bin taxes or whatever - fine. At least they're voting the right way.

The Yes voters are voting entirely the wrong way for reasons which are just as incoherent and ridiculous as anything I've seen on a No vote poster. On my way home today I walked past one claiming we should "Vote Yes for a working Ireland"....a completely vacuous statement unless its just an attempt to say "Vote Yes for Jobs" without saying so. Other examples being "Vote Yes for Stability".

I'm also hearing that we should vote Yes because Ireland shouldn't be taking risks - this is being offered as a reason to take a huge risk by signing into national law a set of economically incoherent fiscal handcuffs which even the French and Germans are rowing back from. Oh yeah, no risks at all being run there.

Nobody wants this Treaty - absolutely nobody. The only coherent logic being applied for a Yes vote is "Yeah, its a crappy Treaty - but lets vote Yes and hope the Germans feel grateful for some undefined reason. Really, really hope. Hope harder!!!"

Nobody wants this Treaty - absolutely nobody.

How can you make this statement in a thread about an opinion poll which shows that, after excluding don't knows, the "Yes" vote is nearly 60%?

That Yes vote is based on the only two compelling arguments the Yes campaign has managed to articulate:

1 - We'll be kicked out of the Euro if ye bog brains vote against this!
    2 - If we Vote Yes, the Germans have promised they'll bail us out. Well, actually no they haven't. They've actually said they'll never bail us out. But we're hoping they're kidding.

So people are either terrorised by the *supposed* consequences of a No vote ("No future support" - Lie, "No foreign investment" - Lie, "Harder austerity" - Lie) or they're being encouraged to believe that a Yes vote will somehow alleviate the austerity Ireland has due to endure to the Green Jerseys brigade stupidity over the banks, NAMA, the 2010 bailout etc. The same Green Jersey brigade which is incoherently attempting to spin this Treaty as something in Irelands interests, fresh from the beatdown they took when they failed to get the ECB to do them any favours at all, whatsoever back in March. Instead they stupidly converted bank debt into sovereign debt. This is the brain trust endorsing the Treaty...

Nobody is actually able to make an argument that says: This treaty is a great treaty that's really good for Ireland. Because nobody wants the treaty. Not even the Germans by the last headcount.

• Advertisement

That Yes vote is based on the only two compelling arguments the Yes campaign has managed to articulate:

2 - If we Vote Yes, the Germans have promised they'll bail us out. Well, actually no they haven't. They've actually said they'll never bail us out. But we're hoping they're kidding.

So people are either terrorised by the *supposed* consequences of a No vote ("No future support" - Lie, "No foreign investment" - Lie, "Harder austerity" - Lie) or they're being encouraged to believe that a Yes vote will somehow alleviate the austerity Ireland has due to endure to the Green Jerseys brigade stupidity over the banks, NAMA, the 2010 bailout etc. The same Green Jersey brigade which is incoherently attempting to spin this Treaty as something in Irelands interests, fresh from the beatdown they took when they failed to get the ECB to do them any favours at all, whatsoever back in March. Instead they stupidly converted bank debt into sovereign debt. This is the brain trust endorsing the Treaty...

Nobody is actually able to make an argument that says: This treaty is a great treaty that's really good for Ireland. Because nobody wants the treaty. Not even the Germans by the last headcount.

The bank debt was converted into sovereign debt by Brian Lenihan and Brian Cowen in September 2008 on the advice of Seanie Fitzpatrick and David McWilliams.

No it wasn't. The state issued a guarantee of the banking system debt in 2008. There's a difference between a guarantee of banking debt, and actual sovereign debt. That's a difference anyone with Ireland's interests to the fore should ensure is entirely clear because Ireland is probably going to have to default on the accumulated banking debts whilst not defaulting on the Irish sovereign debt.

So it would be best to have that logic clearly laid out in advance rather than arriving at it at the last second like the Green Jersey brigade seem to insist on doing as a point of principle.

No it wasn't. The state issued a guarantee of the banking system debt in 2008. There's a difference between a guarantee of banking debt, and actual sovereign debt. That's a difference anyone with Ireland's interests to the fore should ensure is entirely clear because Ireland is probably going to have to default on the accumulated banking debts whilst not defaulting on the Irish sovereign debt.

So it would be best to have that logic clearly laid out in advance rather than arriving at it at the last second like the Green Jersey brigade seem to insist on doing as a point of principle.

The September 2008 guarantee set us on a path that put us where we are now. End of story.

There is now no difference between banking debt and sovereign debt because in the intervening period, mostly under the FF government, the banking debt was rolled over into sovereign debt. There is so little bank debt left that the reputational damage by defaulting on it would be more costly than the money saved by defaulting.

Anyway, the sovereign debt accumulated as a result of the banking crisis is the small problem, the bigger problem is the budget deficit.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...Ireland is probably going to have to default on the accumulated banking debts...
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Theres three groups of voters out there right now:

People voting No for the wrong reasons.
    People voting No for the right reasons.
    People voting Yes for the wrong reasons.

You forgot people voting Yes because they've read the treaty, read ancillary documentation, and based their opinion on the reality of the document, as opposed to the majority of the No side who appear to be voting on half truths and misconceptions.
    A No vote is absolutely in the interests of Ireland, and a Yes vote would be absolutely against Ireland's interests.

Can you elaborate on how voting No would be in Ireland's interests please?
    The Yes voters are voting entirely the wrong way for reasons which are just as incoherent and ridiculous as anything I've seen on a No vote poster. On my way home today I walked past one claiming we should "Vote Yes for a working Ireland"....a completely vacuous statement unless its just an attempt to say "Vote Yes for Jobs" without saying so. Other examples being "Vote Yes for Stability".

In fairness, IBEC and the American Chamber of Commerce in Ireland have both supported the contention that a Yes would be good for Ireland, and that a No would lead to a good deal of uncertaintly which could hurt investment. Considering the American Chamber represent the people doing the actual investment, I'd like to think their opinion on the potential impact on that investment is slightly more valid that yours. Unless you're Bill Gates in disguise?
    I'm also hearing that we should vote Yes because Ireland shouldn't be taking risks - this is being offered as a reason to take a huge risk by signing into national law a set of economically incoherent fiscal handcuffs which even the French and Germans are rowing back from. Oh yeah, no risks at all being run there.

Neither the French nor the Germans are rowing back on the fiscal treaty. I don't know where you have gotten that impression, because it's certainly not true.

Also, since when has fiscal responsibility been "economically incoherent"? Do you regularly spend more than you earn? Do you make a virtue of it? If so, I'm surprised your computed hasn't been repossessed. It baffles me how someone can argue that having a limit on deficit spending is somehow irresponsible.
    Nobody wants this Treaty - absolutely nobody. The only coherent logic being applied for a Yes vote is "Yeah, its a crappy Treaty - but lets vote Yes and hope the Germans feel grateful for some undefined reason. Really, really hope. Hope harder!!!"

Nobody except me...and er, the approx 60% of people who intend voting Yes. :confused:

Hmmm haven't seen that argument made by any serious commentator myself. Wouldn't have just plucked it out of thin air would you?

For someone who complains about alleged mischaracterisation on the Yes side, you engage in a huge amount of it yourself. practically every claim you have made here has been in some way fallacious. Nobody has stated that the Germans will bail us out if we vote yes. What has been argued by the Yes side, and confirmed by the IMf and the Independent Referendum Commission is that ireland will not have access to the ESM if we vote No. And why should we? If I offered you a loan on the reasonable basis that you stop spending more than you earn and you told me to go fup myself, I'm not entirely sure that I'd be so willing to stump up the cash you need.

I work with young kids a lot and I've grown accustomed to the petty solipsism that can sometimes characterise their interaction with others. The No side howver, in their constant demand for entitlements without any responsibility takes this kind of attitude to an astounding new level. The whole mantra of SF in particular is that yes, we want Europe's money, but we'll be damned if we're going to accept even reasonable terms for this money. And if Europe doesn't give us that money, we'll do whatever we can to f*ck things up for the rest of the continent. That is basically what the No campaign comes down to. It's embarassing and shameful. Fumbling in the greasy till indeed...
    So people are either terrorised by the *supposed* consequences of a No vote ("No future support" - Lie, "No foreign investment" - Lie, "Harder austerity" - Lie)

I'm sorry, but you are spectacularly ignorant on both the Yes arguments, the provisions of the Treaty, and the potential consequences. As mentioned, the American Chamber has warned of negative consequences on investment in the event of a No vote; the Independent Referendum Commission has confirmed that Ireland will be locked out of the ESM in the event of a no vote; and the only people peddling lies about austerity are the No side, who promise that a No will magically disappear the annual €13 billion current deficit. The Yes side has consistently stated that austerity is unavoidable; the No side claims it can be done away with- and you claim that the former are liars?? Come off it...
    or they're being encouraged to believe that a Yes vote will somehow alleviate the austerity Ireland has due to endure to the Green Jerseys brigade stupidity over the banks, NAMA, the 2010 bailout etc.

Again, you haven't a clue. Ireland had a deficit last year of €13 billion...and very little of it was down to the banks!! That's a simple statement of fact, and yet people like you with your heads buried ostrich-like in the sand seem incapable of its comprehension. If we reneged on all our bank debts in the morn, we'd still have an almost identical deficit. That's the truth of it, no matter how inconvenient you might find it.

I think these headcounts exist only in your head...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AVN_1

Who are those "economists"? Unknown people on a payroll from FG/FF/Labour?

Gurdgiev supports No vote, David McWilliams too.

• Advertisement

+1, Agree.

First of all, leaving the Euro Zone would be highly beneficial for our economy, however Germans would never allow us to do so as they don't allow to leave the Greeks. Germany is the main beneficiary of the Euro Zone, and they better bail out all of the 4-5 countries than allow all of us to leave the Euro Zone.

Second, as of now, after Yes vote, Germans only promised to unify all taxes (including personal) across the Euro Zone. Do we really need unification of all taxes, including corporate and personal? First of all we would lose our competitive advantage, and also would have to increase the personal tax burden on our working people up to the German level.

AVN_1 wrote: »

Not this again.

Is this the same David McWilliams who advised Brian Lenihan to introduce the bank guarantee, the most disastorous decision in our history, and then welcomed it before changing his mind six months later?

Is this the same Constantin who has predicted that we will inevitably default for the last four years? Well, I'm still waiting.

Sorry, would take the views of Kermit and the Muppets over those two.

Godge wrote: »
    Not this again.

Is this the same David McWilliams who advised Brian Lenihan to introduce the bank guarantee, the most disastorous decision in our history, and then welcomed it before changing his mind six months later?

Is this the same Constantin who has predicted that we will inevitably default for the last four years? Well, I'm still waiting.

Sorry, would take the views of Kermit and the Muppets over those two.

So, following your words we would not default. But if we don't expect to default why should we vote Yes in the first place?;)

+1, Agree.

First of all, leaving the Euro Zone would be highly beneficial for our economy, however Germans would never allow us to do so as they don't allow to leave the Greeks. Germany is the main beneficiary of the Euro Zone, and they better bail out all of the 4-5 countries than allow all of us to leave the Euro Zone.

Second, as of now, after Yes vote, Germans only promised to unify all taxes (including personal) across the Euro Zone. Do we really need unification of all taxes, including corporate and personal? First of all we would lose our competitive advantage, and also would have to increase the personal tax burden on our working people up to the German level.

Let me see, leaving the Euro zone would be highly beneficial for our economy? And this is based on what?

Leaving the Eurozone would be a complete unmitigated disaster for this country. We are a small open economy dependent on trade in a number of highly volatile industries and services. Leaving the Euro would cripple our pharmaceutical and IT industries and our financial services.

Not to think of what would happen to those with mortgages who would see their interest rates go up by 4-5%.

Let me see, leaving the Euro zone would be highly beneficial for our economy? And this is based on what?

Leaving the Eurozone would be a complete unmitigated disaster for this country. We are a small open economy dependent on trade in a number of highly volatile industries and services. Leaving the Euro would cripple our pharmaceutical and IT industries and our financial services.

Not to think of what would happen to those with mortgages who would see their interest rates go up by 4-5%.

Default on the bank debt, exit from the Euro Zone, re-introduction of Punt, slight devaluation (against Euro) would significantly reduce our public debt, further accelerate our exports, stimulate public consumption and our property markets, reduce unemployment, substantially reduce budget deficit.

• Advertisement

Default on the bank debt, exit from the Euro Zone, re-introduction of Punt, slight devaluation (against Euro) would significantly reduce our public debt, further accelerate our exports, stimulate public consumption and our property markets, reduce unemployment, substantially reduce budget deficit.

Wishful thinking.

Default on the bank debt, exist from the Euro, nobody would lend to us, have to raise income tax overnight and cut social welfare and public service pay by 25%, leading to a severe cut in domestic consumption, foreign investors would lose faith in our ability to remain at the core of Europe and would divest from Ireland, reducing our productive employment further, international financial investors would shy away from our new Euro forcing us to raise interest rates to crippling levels that would mean no available business credits plus widescale mortgage default. Domestic consumption would fall by 25% as imports rose in price, our property market might stabilise but with prices in punts and debts in euros so what? Forced selling?

I could go on but I am too depressed by that vision.

The article is saying that 40 odd of our 'top economists' want a Yes vote. So FG/FF/Labour have someone managed to pay all these people without anyone finding out? Let me guess you think Elvis is still alive too?

And again the same David McWilliams who recommended the bank guarantee.

I'm going to quote Michael O'Leary here for no apparent reason.
    When you look at the array of idiots and lunatics on the No side, really I wouldn’t want to be in any club which would have that lot as a member…

The sensible majority and the rest of Ireland will vote Yes…There is no argument for voting no.
    When you look at the basis of this treaty, it is about preventing elected government and idiots from spending money they don’t have. I think everybody in Europe should be in favour of this treaty.
    Wise words.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

And again the same David McWilliams who recommended the bank guarantee.

The implementation of the guarantee was not as he recommended.. http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2011/11/15/recent-inaccuracies-re-the-bank-guarantee

Wishful thinking.

Default on the bank debt, exist from the Euro, nobody would lend to us, have to raise income tax overnight and cut social welfare and public service pay by 25%, leading to a severe cut in domestic consumption, foreign investors would lose faith in our ability to remain at the core of Europe and would divest from Ireland, reducing our productive employment further, international financial investors would shy away from our new Euro forcing us to raise interest rates to crippling levels that would mean no available business credits plus widescale mortgage default. Domestic consumption would fall by 25% as imports rose in price, our property market might stabilise but with prices in punts and debts in euros so what? Forced selling?

I could go on but I am too depressed by that vision.

Enough scaremongering :D

No need to raise income tax, no need to borrow (although it still could be done via bilateral loans), increase in revenue (through increase in corporate profits, VAT, income tax on newly employed, etc) and reduction in expenditure (reduction in debt service, social welfare, etc), TNCs would be happy to see reduction in costs and would flock here. Reduction in unemployment would increase confidence and consumption. Number of households in negative equity would decrease.

The article is saying that 40 odd of our 'top economists' want a Yes vote. So FG/FF/Labour have someone managed to pay all these people without anyone finding out?

From the referendum money and previous contracts

FG+FF+Labour jointly (what a shock :eek:) supporting Yes side indicates that they all have vested interests in this project. Smells fishy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

From the referendum money and previous contracts

FG+FF+Labour jointly (what a shock :eek:) supporting Yes side indicates that they all have vested interests in this project. Smells fishy.

:confused:

Seriously, WTF? Of course they have a vested interest in the project...it's necessary to keep Ireland from running out of money if we need another bailout. We all have a vested interest in the project!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

@Einhard
    You forgot people voting Yes because they've read the treaty, read ancillary documentation, and based their opinion on the reality of the document, as opposed to the majority of the No side who appear to be voting on half truths and misconceptions.

Anyone whose read the treaty and based their opinion on the reality of the document is voting No. I covered them under Voting No for the right reasons. I covered the Yes voters under Voting Yes for the wrong reasons.
    Can you elaborate on how voting No would be in Ireland's interests please?

- Rejects the German/Incorrect narrative of the crisis which is crucial for Ireland's negotiating position
    - Ensures Ireland cannot be intimidated or bullied by the larger states bringing us to the ECJ entirely on their own initiative - even the threat of such would reduce the Irish ability to borrow.
    - Forces the focus for sound fiscal policy to be based on actual reform and transparency rather than artificial and easily gamed statistics
    - Ensures Ireland is not isolated in the minority that actually ratify the treaty, whilst the political narrative shifts against Merkel.
    Nobody except me...and er, the approx 60% of people who intend voting Yes.

Based on fear and hope - little more.
    In fairness, IBEC and the American Chamber of Commerce in Ireland have both supported the contention that a Yes would be good for Ireland, and that a No would lead to a good deal of uncertaintly which could hurt investment.

IBEC is a front for the banks and the government: its biggest funders are the semi states and the banks respectively. Their endorsement was probably typed up in the DoF.

Watching IBEC and trade union reps argue it out on public sector broadcasters is pretty amusing as they go through their puppet show.
    Also, since when has fiscal responsibility been "economically incoherent"? Do you regularly spend more than you earn? Do you make a virtue of it?

Fiscal responsibility is not hitting a given target like a robot - fiscal responsibility is an attitude. Good procedures lead to good results. We ought to be focusing on good procedures rather than defining an arbitrary good result which can be gamed and faked statistically. This fiscal treaty - and the godawful "Shure, we need a strong foreign hand to keep an eye on us!" logic supporting it - will actually hinder the development of fiscal responsibility in Ireland. Fiscal responsibility is no longer something that's in Ireland's interest - instead its presented as a cargo cult tradeoff - we give the foreigners some daft stats that keep them happy whilst changing as little as possible, in turn they give us gifts.

You might have missed Vincent Browne's piece on the Fiscal treaty but there was a short interview with that ERSI chap where he recalled asking the IMF and the EU to "have a word" with the government in 2004 and 2005 but he was told that they had no grounds to do so as the government was complying (perfectly) with the stability and growth conditions.

What we need in Ireland is actual reform of *how* we make fiscal policy. This Fiscal treaty and it conditions will become as ridiculously outdated as the Bretton-Woods pact as events overtake it. If we reform we will have actual fiscal responsibility that will prepare us to deal with those events. This fiscal treaty with its dopey handcuffs will actually give cover to prevent that reform - the argument will be "We are meeting the statistical targets. Hence there is no problem. Hence there is no reason to improve."
    For someone who complains about alleged mischaracterisation on the Yes side, you engage in a huge amount of it yourself. practically every claim you have made here has been in some way fallacious. Nobody has stated that the Germans will bail us out if we vote yes.

Scofflaw has presented the Treaty as being a sort of payoff to Merkel which will give her the political cover she needs to engage in a real bailout of the rest of Europe. He isn't alone in that. The idea that "Merkel needs the Treaty to give her the political capital in Germany" is an intoxicating one. But he pushed it to the point where I asked him flat out to present any single statement or shred of evidence that the Germans have ever even insinuated that they see the Treaty as a trade for a bailout. And he couldn't.

The Germans have been very, very clear. They do not see this Treaty as any sort of preliminary step in an eventual solution. They see this as *the* solution.
    Hmmm haven't seen that argument made by any serious commentator myself. Wouldn't have just plucked it out of thin air would you?

Michael Noonan actually.
    Saying that he hoped a referendum would not be required, Mr Noonan continued: “So my personal wish is that it can be done without constitutional change. But if constitutional change is required [then] we will have a referendum, and we will put the case to the people, and it will come down to whether one wants to continue in the euro, or not.

I grant you, not a serious commentator. Just the Minister of Finance endorsing this treaty. It never surprises how unaware Yes voters are of the outlandish statements made in support of the Treaty. As Orwell might have noted, they have never heard of such statements.
    The No side howver, in their constant demand for entitlements without any responsibility takes this kind of attitude to an astounding new level. The whole mantra of SF in particular is that yes, we want Europe's money, but we'll be damned if we're going to accept even reasonable terms for this money.

You might want to argue that point with supporters of SF. I don't participate in SF threads anymore as they tend to get upset when I do.

I'd note that when things go wrong young kids often expect a parent to show up, correct them and make everything right again in exchange for a statement of contrition and the promise of good behavior in future. Reminds me of the argument for a Yes vote. And indeed national policy since 2008.
    the American Chamber has warned of negative consequences on investment in the event of a No vote

And I can tell you nobody cares less if Ireland signs up to the Treaty or not. The only thing that concerns them regarding Ireland is EU market access and the stability of the corporate tax regime.
    the Independent Referendum Commission has confirmed that Ireland will be locked out of the ESM in the event of a no vote

That is only contained in the preamble so is on dodgy ground legally. And as it stands, any single country can block us from accessing ESM regardless of our ratification of this treaty.

And Ireland was locked out of the ESM back in November 2010. We are currently in a non-ESM bailout. Such things exist. So long as we are reasonable and sensible, we will find support. If they cannot use the ESM they will find another route. The Greeks have been unreasonable and crazy and they are *still* supported.
    and the only people peddling lies about austerity are the No side, who promise that a No will magically disappear the annual €13 billion current deficit.

Nonsense - both Kenny and Noonan have been proclaiming that they will increase austerity if a No vote is carried as some sort of vengeance.

This makes no sense - Ireland is in a fully funded bailout program with the objective of returning Ireland to market access without reference to any second bailout. Voting No will have no impact on this bailout or its conditions. Presuming the bailout will work - and the same people endorsing this Treaty were equally immune to reason back in 2010 on the basis of the bailout - the next budgets will be no tougher or lighter.

But the Yes voters are presenting a Yes vote as relief from austerity, whilst a No vote will cause increased austerity. This is done without admitting that the bailout has failed.
    Again, you haven't a clue. Ireland had a deficit last year of €13 billion...and very little of it was down to the banks!!

Most of Ireland's debt is down to the banks, and actions taken to rescue the banks.

I'd also note that I'm one of those kee-razy people who believe we ought to cut the deficit ASAP...you know, at some point since 2007.

So again, take your argument up with somebody else.

@AVN_1
    First of all, leaving the Euro Zone would be highly beneficial for our economy

Nope, it wouldnt.

IBEC is a front for the banks and the government: its biggest funders are the semi states and the banks respectively. Their endorsement was probably typed up in the DoF.

Watching IBEC and trade union reps argue it out on public sector broadcasters is pretty amusing as they go through their puppet show.

Your post is full of lies and disinformation, most of which has been rebutted before a hundred times. I will just deal with one, this IBEC one seeing as you produced a link. Read this one.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0711/1224300497060.html

IBEC has €12m in subscriptions, it recorded a surplus of nearly €1m. What does that mean? Well, firstly, it didn't need the semi-state money. Secondly, €1m out of €12m isn't a hell of a lot of influence. Probably equivalent to the amount of influence that SF or the ULA have over government policy.

About time the "No" side stopped making things up, stopped telling lies, stopped trying to deceive.

Your post is full of lies and disinformation, most of which has been rebutted before a hundred times. I will just deal with one, this IBEC one seeing as you produced a link. Read this one.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0711/1224300497060.html

IBEC has €12m in subscriptions, it recorded a surplus of nearly €1m. What does that mean? Well, firstly, it didn't need the semi-state money. Secondly, €1m out of €12m isn't a hell of a lot of influence. Probably equivalent to the amount of influence that SF or the ULA have over government policy.

About time the "No" side stopped making things up, stopped telling lies, stopped trying to deceive.

7,000 members ( with some notable Irish absentees like Ryanair). About 10 semi states and nationalized banks providing 20% of the funding.

6,990 providing the rest...

Next you'll be saying Ireland has an equal say to Germany in the running of the Eurozone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement