Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geography or ag science?

• 26-05-2012 6:25pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭

which is the better option for me, currently im will be doing physics, chemistry, dcg, and applied maths. i am planning on doing something science or maths related in college and also aiming for 500+ points.

so which subject would be the best, i dont mind geography but it can be a bit boring at times and rather science subjects rather than geography which has a lot of essays, rote learning and a lot of boring topics. i am no huge fan of ag science on the other hand, but i like answering short hand science answers in exams. its not that im bad at essays (i got an A in jc english) but with geo you have to learn alot of them which i wouldnt like.

so basically which would be the easiest and the easiest to get high points in.
    anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Geography is widely viewed as an easy subject, and being honest, it is. Ag science would probably be easy if you were doing biology.

There's an option section in geography where 90% of people study soils, but my class did one that's actually quite sciencey, maybe you'd find that interesting? I showed my English teacher and he thought it was physics :L It's about the atmosphere and how it operates and interacts with the ocean, its not the most riveting thing ever but I suppose different types of cows arent either. ;)

Oh and in geography, I dont know if this will change or not, but they barely ever change the essays they ask. It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Biology will get you a good mark in Ag Science. But to get the A1 you'll have to know a fair amount of Agriculture. Some years you could do very well though only knowing Biology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Geography is ridiculously easy, just make sure you've all your answers prepared well in advance. If you could manage to have them written out yourself by the end of 5th year and mostly learnt off, it would be hard not to get an A tbh. The first section is literally common sense (Deciding from a picture if something's a volcanoe for example) and almost everyone gets A's in the projects. That's almost 40%!

Also, from what I've heard in my school ag science is just so boring, I had a look at the book myself and just thought it seemed horrible :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I'm doing both Ag Science and Geography for the leaving this year! Both have project work involved and tbh I think the Geography project was much easier to complete because the syllabus is more concrete! Ag Science can be abit random! Geography is easy to get a low B/C but is extremely hard to get an A in! If you're a person who is good at learning off material i'd go for Geography, personally I prefer Ag Science but I also love Biology! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Geography's a piece of piss. So if you're looking for the points, do that!

The physical geography is interesting, too! Though I can't say the same for regional, so far it's just been learning off 4 or 5 (easy) essays for each region (I'm only at the end of 5th year, though, it might improve).

It can be science orientated at times but it really depends on your teacher. There is the option to get scientific in some questions, but our teacher tends to stray from it as she's not well versed in the field. The closest she's come so far is asking us to learn off a chemical equation to use when talking about the chemical erosion of limestone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I'm doing both subjects and have to say i prefer geography! it's more predictable, the answers aren't too hard to learn.

for me I love biology and hate ag science :L i've done nothing for the ag sci exam yet, i have a week off before it, so hoping somehow that intense cramming will get me an A :L

Advertisement