Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun smiths monaghan area?

Options
  • 26-05-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi does any one know of any gunsmiths in the monaghan area?
    I have an old double trigger sxs that I would like to get a stock on, and is it possible to change the trigger to suit a right handed shooter as it came from my grandfather who was a citeog and shot off his left?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The closest one i can think of to you would be the lads at Ardee sports. They deal with all makes of shotguns, and rifles so it might be worth while ringing them.

Google Ardee Sports for contact details.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dclarke1977

Mourn clay is just outside Castleblaney Co. Monaghan Lough Eigish area has a good gun shop the lads should be able to help you out pm for phone number not sure if i can post it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

try Malcolm graham in Monaghan if he can help you out he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

there is a man in drum i think he is wilfred corbet he used to be a game keeper and he gets sent stuff from the local dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

Thanks lads, I was up at the mourne clay shooting grounds last week and they said they dont do anything inhouse but would be able to get it sent to someone who does does work for them on occasion, so I will probably go that way to get a new stock.
    Then on Sunday I got bored..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Got the stock off and then the trigger mechinism didnt look to tricky so dismantled it, easy enough to change the triggers over.
    Now I have it stripped down I would like to give it a good clean before I go looking for a stock.
    What can I use to clean the trigger plating?

Also want to get the barrels stripped down and reblackened/blued has any done this themselves or used some of the home blackening remedys like caswells cold black oxide kits? there seems to be mixed reviews online, or would I be safer getting a professional do it? is it something Gunsmiths do?

thanks,
    o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Optimum wrote: »

[3.jpg

Got the stock off and then the trigger mechinism didnt look to tricky so dismantled it, easy enough to change the triggers over.
    Now I have it stripped down I would like to give it a good clean before I go looking for a stock.
    What can I use to clean the trigger plating?

If you must...A rub of wire wool dipped in meths to get the muck and grit off it,but just to get the surface rust off it,dont try and clean off the deeper patina rust or it might destroy the nice machineing marks. Then oil lightly,the parts should have a slick feel and not be anyway dripping or running oil.

Also want to get the barrels stripped down and reblackened/blued has any done this themselves or used some of the home blackening remedys like caswells cold black oxide kits? there seems to be mixed reviews online, or would I be safer getting a professional do it? is it something Gunsmiths do?

thanks,
    o.[/QUOTE]

Re doing barrells is always a will it wont it question.The top finish and best commercial bluing,and the most expensive is hot bluing,and TBH I dont know of anyone here in the ROI doing this.It isnt somthing that you can really do at home in a DIY situation,although some have,as it needs a lot of stinky and dangerous chemicals and heat.

It also depends on how bad your barrells are damaged too,and a hard one to call without being able to see the barrells..Lots of folks seem to be obsessed with having a NIB finish on old guns,which looks naff,destroys their chacter,and somtimes their value too.There is nothing worse than a badly done finish on an old gun,where if it was left in its original condition it would have been better off.
    The home blackening kits can be sucessful,but the secret is preperation,perperation and more perperation.You have to be anally obsessive about cleanliness of the materials and parts you will work on,any dust or fingerprints on the metal will put you back to square one cleaning the whole thing again,as any dirt matter will destroy the bluing process on you.So it can be done,but it can go wrong as well.
    Your call.:cool:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

Many thanks Grizzly45

I was only going give a quick clean to the internal parts scraping some of the gunk that has built up(what oil to use for the internals,Gun oil?), i was more concerned with the external plating and trigger guard.
    Barrel5.jpg

Barrel6.jpg

There is a lot of varnish/dirt/rust on the housing, i dont want to use anything too abrasive or strong chemicals that would damage the finish?

As for the barrels,
    Barrel4.jpg

Barrel1.jpg

Barrel2.jpg

Barrel3.jpg

they are not in a real bad shape I have seen worse but there is a lot of the bluing worn away.

Advertisement