Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which type of English teacher is better: One that gives excellent feed back and no g

• 26-05-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

1st teacher gives excellent feedback but don't like giving grades because he isn't exactly sure of the marking scheme, but he has been an english teacher for a good decade. He can only give you an estimate grade like he would say that's a High C or that's its a low D.

2nd teacher knows the text am doing like the back of her hand but doesn't give much of a feedback.
    But excellent grader, she will be brutally honest with your grade.

Which teacher is better or which teacher is better for paper 1 and which is better for paper two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

neither! your teacher should be both that. my English teacher gives an accurate, fair grade and tells you what you need to improve. She puts notes beside phrases or sections you have done well! But I suppose you could give your answer to both teachers and see both their opinions? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

1st teacher gives excellent feedback but don't like giving grades because he isn't exactly sure of the marking scheme, but he has been an english teacher for a good decade. He can only give you an estimate grade like he would say that's a High C or that's its a low D.

2nd teacher knows the text am doing like the back of her hand but doesn't give much of a feedback.
    But excellent grader, she will be brutally honest with your grade.

Which teacher is better or which teacher is better for paper 1 and which is better for paper two.

It is highly unlikely that a teacher teaching even 2 years would be unfamiliar with the marking scheme, never mind someone teaching 10. I am teaching 5 years this year and know the marking schemes of both JC and both LC subjects like the back of my hand. I have never corrected LC or JC exams but if you have exam classes it is impossible to grade exams and not know.

Grading homework questions is a different situation. The general educational theories these days encourage teachers to give feedback rather than grades. We had another inservice on it during this year.

The theory behind it is that if grades and feedback are given that the grades are the only thing that is seen by most students and that the feedback is generally missed.
    Christmas/pre exams etc. must be graded obviously but class exams and homework during the year is encoruaged not to be graded but rather extensive feedback is given.

You will get much more out of feedback than you ever will out of grades. And believe me writing good feedback takes much much much longer to do than actually writing grades. The 1st teacher you describe is dedicating much more time and effort to you than the 2nd one is.

Going back to the theory the ideal at the moment is things like "two wishes and a star", in other words in the feedback you should get two things to work on and one positive thing said about your work. Sometimes work is graded also but grades are not given back to the students only the feedback, the grades are just kept note of by the teacher. It all comes under the heading of Assessment for Learning.

After that long winded answer from an educational point of view the 1st teacher you describe is doing much more for you than the 2nd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

...though we all long for a time when English teachers can teach English and not how to pass an exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I think you need a bit of both tbh. My history teacher never graded half my essays that I spent ages doing, even when I asked him, and explained that airy-fairy feedback crap to me. I hate it! Maybe he got it wrong or something but I'd basically end up with stuff like "your essays are really improving, keep it up" - that could mean anything. a D to a C? A C to a B? You cant study off stuff like that, I dont want to learn C standard stuff when I can use my "improving" skills to bring my work to A standard. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I think seeing a C or D grade can be a nice kick to do something, and getting A's can be an addictive feeling :P, so students work to keep getting them. At the end of the day your results sheet wont say "good job!" so I think grades are the way to go, for paper 1 and paper 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

One that gives no homework

;)

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I think you need a bit of both tbh. My history teacher never graded half my essays that I spent ages doing, even when I asked him, and explained that airy-fairy feedback crap to me. I hate it! Maybe he got it wrong or something but I'd basically end up with stuff like "your essays are really improving, keep it up" - that could mean anything. a D to a C? A C to a B? You cant study off stuff like that, I dont want to learn C standard stuff when I can use my "improving" skills to bring my work to A standard. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I think seeing a C or D grade can be a nice kick to do something, and getting A's can be an addictive feeling :P, so students work to keep getting them. At the end of the day your results sheet wont say "good job!" so I think grades are the way to go, for paper 1 and paper 2.

Agreed to a point, but in the end of the day the teachers job is to stay up to date with the educational theories, but also more importantly do what the inspectors are looking for for fear of having their teaching methods publicly slated.
    If an inspector arrives into me in September he is looking for me to be using AfL, not grading work. What my students want is irrelevant to them. This is the reality of it from the other side.

Unfortunately our fantastic education system (the LC mainly) does not cater for the use of AfL that the inspectors and department are looking for. The two are in complete conflict with each other unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

English is a scary subject. Opinions between examiners vary so widely :(

Chuchoter wrote: »

I would say this is possibly why the 1st teacher is unwilling to be more specific because possibly they think this also so if they are giving you a general ball park grade like you mention at least you still have an idea where you are at, rather than him giving you a B+ but the teacher next door thinking it is only a C.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

Chuchoter wrote: »

I know right, people that claim it easy amaze me because if you don't know your examiner how do you know if he or she likes your writing style, what he or she finds appropriate to write about.... AM TERRIFIED NOW

Advertisement