Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ichthyostega Couldn't Walk

Options
  • 26-05-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

That's the conclusion the latest 3D modelling suggests. Instead, it is believed that Ichthyostega flopped around on the ground - a sort of intermediate between land and water based locomotion.
    The new recreation looks pretty cool I might ad.

how-tetrapods-walked-out-of-water_53758_600x450.jpg
    Image by Julia Molnar

Read more here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    That's the conclusion the latest 3D modelling suggests. Instead, it is believed that Ichthyostega flopped around on the ground - a sort of intermediate between land and water based locomotion.
    The new recreation looks pretty cool I might ad.

how-tetrapods-walked-out-of-water_53758_600x450.jpg
    Image by Julia Molnar

Read more here.

That face... I think I'm in love with it :D

Interesting find, tho. The multi-toed feet look kinda like the "hands" in a frog fish, which moves by "walking" in the sea bottom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eels can move fairly well on land without legs.

And when there are no predators you can take your time , just have to worry about drying out, so nights or rainy days would not be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Walking catfish agrees entirely:

walkingcatfishhouse.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThnrVff5qhb78LTFU3LF60Qjc3pkVkK6KYfyXxqNpDS-9pMxAB

811352_370.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Snakehead (aka Franken)fish are also good at it.
    Bear in mind the article states that Ichthyostega used it's front limbs to drag itself around, with the back ones floundering about. An transitional form if ever there was one.

Advertisement