Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy ate mars bar

• 26-05-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi, this is a strange one, our puppy managed some how to swallow a who funsized mars bar that wasn't even open, wrapper and all. Will she be able to pass it? She is a jack russel. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

She should be able to pass it, just be on ''poop watch'' for the next few days and get her straight to a vet if she stops pooing all together, goes off her food or seems to swell up in her abdomen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd take her to the vet - chocolate contains thebromine and can create a severe adverse reaction in a dog. A fun size mars only has a chocolate coating, but that's still a lot in a small dog. You don't want her necessarily digesting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i would advise taking her to the vet immediately, but only cause i'm not able to imagine a square[ish] object like that [plastic coated] finding it's way round the intestines of a small doggie. :eek::confused:
    if she was a full grown dane, maybe just poop watch but a jack russel pup? i'd be at the vets already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's some time since you posted this now OP, but I would have taken the dog to the vet immediately, most likely the vet would induce vomiting to (hopefully) bring it back up. Not acting on it immediately could get very expensive, if it gets stuck in the dogs digestive tract you would be looking at surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

OP sorry I read your post wrong, I didn't see it was a puppy you were talking about. Definitely get her to a vet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I'd recommend a trip to the vet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I wouldn't worry too much, just because the wrapper was gone is probably because it had smears of chocolate and the puppy ate it too, bringing a dog to the vet because they ate a piece of chocolate once would be lunacy, the wrapper would be my main worry even if it's broken up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just on the point of chocolate being poisonous to dogs, it is indeed the theobromine in choc that causes the problem, it is found in the cocoa. However, "irish" chocolate, including Mars, Cadbury's etc contain virtually no theobromine, as the cocoa content of our lovely milky chocolate is very low. So, if a dog does stuff his face with our normal choc, chances are he'll get a squiffy tum from all the sugar, but won't suffer any long-term effects.
    Real proper Belgian-type choc is another story though, this is the stuff that'll potentially cause damage from theobromine.
    This, coming from the owner of a particularly greedy westie who has climbed bookshelves to get to the full 1kg box of Dairy Milk, and who has an incredible ability to find and open boxes of Celebrations, and easter eggs, even though I think i've hidden them well enough... The first time (Dairy Milk-gate), there was blind panic here, but my patient vet kindly explained the above, and due to his Westie ingenuity, has put it to the test several times since over the years without harm.
    That all said, he's a healthy adult dog. I wouldn't be so blase about a pup ingesting so much sugar in one sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would definitely keep a very close eye on him for both blockages and theomobrine poisoning infact a trip to the vet might be best. My fella once eat a whole bag of easter goodies, the ones that have little bunnies and eggs wrapped in foil. I wouldn't have even known only for the remnants of the bag where left of the ground. Now he is Boxer so he is hyper anyway but this dog was completely off his game, leaping around the place, pulling at my clothes to get me to play with him, chasing the cat, tongue handing out of his head, drinking water like it was gone out of fashion, all this at 3AM in the morning. I rang the vet who was pretty bad mannered on the phone, said he was fine and I was over-reacting, he was only 6 months at this stage, I stayed up and monitored him all night, I think we were lucky, if there had been any more chocolate then I do think we would have been headed down a very bad road.

It does take a load of poor quality chocolate to cause poisoning but a load to a fully grown Labrador and a load to a JRT are two very different things. At the very least I would ring the vet for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

chances are he slightly punctured the wrapper while swallowing, and the mars bar is nicely digested by now:) If not it will go all melty and soft and hopefully he'll pass it. My puppy ate broken glass and I rushed him into the vet just to be told to take him home and keep an eye on him. Get out the rubber gloves and look for it when he poops- if he doesn't poop it's time for the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

Hi, thanks for all the replys, I was not there when she ate it, my sister was.. she seems fine, still poop'n all over the house. I have her by my side most of the time so I will keep a close eye on her. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

my jack managed to eat a whole toblerone (the big ones!!)
    he was grand, just very "energetic" for two days apart from the brown flood!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of mine got into a bar of dark chocolate one night, it was about 12 hours before we discovered the wrapper; no ill effects beside diahorea, thankfully, but everything has now been moved to somewhwere she can't reach by climbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Many oif us have had these "scares". When I was trading at a market on day a friend stopped to chat and his JRT managed to devour half a bar of precious chocolate from my bag under the table.. beware a quiet dog!

I panicked; he has a granddaughter a vet so rang her and she said it was fine as it was milk chocolate. The friend was mortified and replaced my cheap chocolate with some rather luscious creme stuff, Which no dog got near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Graces7 wrote: »
    .. beware a quiet dog!
    Ha ha! Very true! Dogs and children: it's when they get quiet that you have to worry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Our dog managed one year to eat 4 large selection boxes that were wrapped under the Christmas Tree - Came home to wrapping paper cardboard and plastic everywhere!

Don't ask me how she managed it!

She was grand though!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

I couldn't figure out why my dog everytime I visited my parents, would go straight for the Roses tin and be trying to get at it. It was only after some time of this happening that I vaguely recalled her previous owner telling me how she got hold of a tin of quality street one night as a pup and devoured half the tin. She was fine by the way apart from an addiction problem as she looooooves chocolate but only gets the dog friendly kind sometimes now :-)

Advertisement