Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby bjorn carrier?

Options
  • 26-05-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what age a baby can face forward in baby bjorn carrier? Head control v good now - 15 weeks - but is it still too early? She's about 13 lbs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

As far as I know the manufacturers recommendations are from 3 months? I could be wrong though.
    I'm sure you know already, but the baby bjorn carriers aren't recommended for prolonged use due to the way they position the baby's hips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

4-5 months it says on our box (not baby bjorn but similar style sling) but I would trust your own judgement. The hip position is only an issue when they face out as the material puts them in an unnatural position. If you keep baby facing in they are still in a normal position so ok for longer usage- or so i've been told, our plan is to get an ergo if she still loves the sling at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Ergo's look fab! There's so many different ones around... Finally got around to emailing baby wearing Ireland about borrowing some to try and figure out what we actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To be honest, we bought the Bjorn Synergy and a Moby Wrap and I was quite sure the wrap was going to prove to be a hippie gimmick of a thing; but for the first nine weeks (so far) at least, it's proven to be the better option for us. Doesn't look quite as "normal", especially when daddy wears it (and the marketing is pure hippie schmaltz), but it gives better support to junior, who usually falls asleep in the thing, and it's far easier on daddy's back and it doesn't have any weak points to fail, like you get with the half-dozen joints and fasteners on the Bjorn. Plus, the wrap is good from pretty much week one, it gives full spinal support to junior and his head doesn't go flopping about in that lovely heart-stopping way they have at that age...

Oh, and you can wash the wrap in the machine in case junior has an upchuck or a really explosive nappy. With the Bjorn, I think you'd be down to hand-wiping with a damp cloth, though happily I haven't tested that theory yet (I say 'happily' because any explosive nappy is going to mostly explode over you in the Bjorn, or at least drip out of it onto you).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 2 baba slings and a samsonite one.
    The baba slings are fantastic,the samsonite one doesn't
    fit me properly so I find it annoying but I know others that prefer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My baby lives in slings and he is happier facing out, he's 4 months old and he's been facing out for 2 weeks. I admit his legs look in a less favourable position than facing inward in the ergo, but he loves it. When he gets whingy, i face him inwards and he falls asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Yeah - I've a peanut shell sling which I found amazing for first 12lbs or so!! Now it just hurts my back and she is getting too long for it! She used to be like a baby kangaroo fast asleep - for nearly every nap - and it gave me scheme to clean the kitchen etc. over last 2 weeks we have her napping more in her pram ( which she's about out of so moving into cotbed... :( ) but when going shopping etc I want to ur her in baby bjorn - she sleeps ok in it facing me but sometimes she just wants entertainment and would love facing forwards! I tried her in it very briefly this afternoon but not sure I put her in right - do u have to lower it for forward facing - and where does the flap clasp into!! Sorry threw out manual as thought this would be obvious... Had forgotten how silly I am!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We threw the bjorn in the washing machine a couple of times, no problemo.

Advertisement