Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any solicitors here

• 26-05-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Would I have a case for being accussed of theft outside the shop by being asked to hand my handbag over to staff to be searched and then being asked if my child wore the top he had on him into their store? I was stopped because the alarm went off but i hadn't any bags or heavy clothing that could hide stuff as the whether is scorching. I only had a tiny handbag...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Simple answer is yes you may have a case. But you will need to have a consultation with a solicitor to be sure as there are a number of issues your solicitor will need to be sure of before he can say with any degree of certainty.

That's not a fob off, but each case is different and defamation can be a difficult one to answer without a face to face meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yurt15

Thanks for taking time to reply. I wasn't sure whether to write to head office or speak to a solicitor. I was highly embarrassed as this happened on o Connell street today and town was packed. All I kept thinking was someone i know would have seen me, and then when I went into the next shop i felt paranoid that the security was informed. After being accussed all he said was "sorry about that, here's your bag" and I was left stunned on the street with spectators. It was horrible. Completely ruined my day with my family

• Registered Users Posts: 40 author

same thing happened my neighbour last year,everybody was looking at him been accused of shoplifting on main street by shop staff who were 100% in the wrong.left him very embarrassed.went to solicitor straight away,the solicitor wrote looking for cctv etc..the shop ended up having to pay the man a few quid for accusing him in the wrong...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Don't bank on anything. Shops are entitled to inquiry and to that extent statements made, are often subject to Qualified Privilege.

Speak to a solicitor. Usually, ancillary torts increase any settlement or damages.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Don't bank on anything. Shops are entitled to inquiry and to that extent statements made, are often subject to Qualified Privilege.

Speak to a solicitor. Usually, ancillary torts increase any settlement or damages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 author

alarms in these shops go off all the time,but if they go out of there way to pull you over ask about your kids top and if they have no proof....
    they are in the wrong.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As said, go see a solicitor because there is a world of difference between being politely asked to open your bag/show your receipt and being rugby tackled to te ground and dragged through the streets by a guy shouting "I got the theif, everyone look at his beady eyes"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yurt15

Thanks for your replys. I think the fact I was searched on the street just made it a lot worse. I was stunned to the spot. When he asked for my bag I didn't hesitate. I thought I had to, I didn't know I could of refused. As far as I am aware he was not security because he had no license on show. The alarm went, and I was not the only one who walked out at that time but I was the only one stopped. It's a mans shop, nothing in it for me. I didn't touch any merchandise in the shop for him to have any reason to search me if you get me.

Also he searched my handbag, not a shopping bag. I or my partner had only the clothes on us and my handbag was on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭altor

Yurt15 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replys. I think the fact I was searched on the street just made it a lot worse. I was stunned to the spot. When he asked for my bag I didn't hesitate. I thought I had to, I didn't know I could of refused. As far as I am aware he was not security because he had no license on show. The alarm went, and I was not the only one who walked out at that time but I was the only one stopped. It's a mans shop, nothing in it for me. I didn't touch any merchandise in the shop for him to have any reason to search me if you get me.

Also he searched my handbag, not a shopping bag. I or my partner had only the clothes on us and my handbag was on me.

I would also get on to the PSA. All security staff have to be registered.
    If not they will be in trouble there also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

If the alarm goes off and you do not have anything do you have to stop for it? is it true he has no right to search and that if the OP had asked him to call the garda and have them search then the case of the op would be stronger?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Departed wrote: »
    If the alarm goes off and you do not have anything do you have to stop for it? is it true he has no right to search and that if the OP had asked him to call the garda and have them search then the case of the op would be stronger?

What exactly are their powers of detention when on the street?
    I used to work in nightclubs (not as security) and we were always told security can detain someone for the gardai when on the premises but if they are outside they cannot do anything except inform the gardai.

Advertisement