Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poor security by BOI

Options
  • 27-05-2012 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

I recently applied online for a credit card, having never had one before with BOI.

A week later I recieve a call from (lets say) "keith" in BoI following up on the online application.
    He expected me to give him some confidential information, mothers maiden name, phone my address, and a few other bits.

I told him that I don't give out personal information over the phone to anybody who calls me up.
    I asked him for his phone number so that I may confirm it with my branch and call him back.
    He was not able to provide one.
    I phoned card services, and explained this to them and they were able to tell me that nobody called Keith was working that day.

I understand that the task of following up on these applications is probably farmed out, or one of a hundred other reasons for this carry on... but isn't this exactly the type of thing that BoI themselves warn people about in those messages I have to agree to every time I log on to b365?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And he was probably calling from a private number as well.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056596555

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I agree I also had this happen to me about a month back and I also took the same stance as the original poster and refused to give the information over the phone. Although I was able to confirm it was them when I rang card services even the girl who i spoke with on the phone agreed it was an odd practice given all the security advice BOI hand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi all,

I am checking into this at the moment. I will post back here when I have some more information.

Thanks for your patience,
    Pat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

if he didnt agree for you to call him back i call it suspicious to say the least..

Hi all,

Thanks for the queries. I understand your concerns.

When you make an online application for a Credit Card, our processing team will usually only ring to let you know that you have been provisionally approved and that the Credit Card Agreement has been issued or if they need to confirm some of the information on your application.

As of this week, this team now have a number that they can supply to customers if you are unsure about the validity of a call that you have received.

As always, we would advise our customers that if they have any doubt or concerns about a call they receive to not give out any personal details over the phone.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi all,

Thanks for the queries. I understand your concerns.

When you make an online application for a Credit Card, our processing team will usually only ring to let you know that you have been provisionally approved and that the Credit Card Agreement has been issued or if they need to confirm some of the information on your application.

As of this week, this team now have a number that they can supply to customers if you are unsure about the validity of a call that you have received.

As always, we would advise our customers that if they have any doubt or concerns about a call they receive to not give out any personal details over the phone.

Thanks
    Pat
    It's rather strange that a bank of BoI's size and customer base (any bank to be honest) hadn't thought that this practice was wrong and went against all the best security advice they themselves were giving before this week.
    One has to ask what level of planning and compliance goes into ensuring all customer contact is within best practices.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would like to hear any valid reasons BOI have for continuing this practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

So he will give me a number I can call him back on?
    How does a customer trust that the number they are given is infact BOI?

Hi all,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The number supplied to customers who receive calls in relation to online applications is 1890 365 100.

I'm still working with the relevant departments on getting responses to your other queries. I will post back here as soon as I have an update.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience with this. As I mentioned above:

This practice was put in place as a result of customer feedback that applications were taking too long and not customer friendly when details were omitted. Originally, the request for the confirmation of the missing details was done by post.

The application team would let you know at the start of the call that they are ringing regarding a recent credit card application, which would hopefully provide a level of comfort as you would know that you have recently submitted an application to us. We appreciate that customers may be concerned when they receive a call from us that they weren't expecting so we do offer the option to call us back. Just confirm again, the number that would be supplied by our online credit card application team is 1890 365 100.

I apologise that this didn't happen in this case as it is standard practice to supply a contact number to the customer if they are concerned or unhappy with discussing personal details on a call that they've received.

As always if you ever have any doubt or concern that a call you receive is not genuine, we would advise that you don't give any of your personal details and get a number to contact the person back. If you want to confirm if a phone number is genuine you can check with your branch or contact Banking365 0818 365 365 and a representative can confirm it for you.

Thanks again
    Pat

• Advertisement
Advertisement