Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bright red lipstick.

• 27-05-2012 2:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

We were in the pub tonight and the Eurovision was on the telly. There were four of us and when the Italian performer came on my mates thought she was gorgeous. Now she was but she was wearing this god awful red lipstick that seems to be popular at the moment. Every time I see it I get images of lipstick stained glasses and cigarette butts and lads with it smeared all over their gobs having got lucky. It just turns my stomach.

Am I the only one that finds it such a turn off that I nearly wouldn't bother no matter how good she looked?

Bright red lipstick on a woman. 135 votes

Sexy as hell!!!
    0% 0 votes
    Not a big fan but if she got the look then I'd go for it.
    51% 69 votes
    Hell no! Ain't nobody making my dangle look like a strawberry Mr Freeze!!
    48% 66 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Moved from TGC.
    Panthro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Looks very nice on selected women. Makes most women look like The Joker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Panthro wrote: »
    Moved from TGC.
    Panthro
    Yeah to be fair I was humming and hawing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Depends on the women and the man looking at her.

I won't vote, there's no option for my response :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Hmmm, please explain more OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

MyKeyG wrote: »
    We were in the pub tonight and the Eurovision was on the telly. There were four of us and when the Italian performer came on my mates thought she was gorgeous. Now she was but she was wearing this god awful red lipstick that seems to be popular at the moment. Every time I see it I get images of lipstick stained glasses and cigarette butts and lads with it smeared all over their gobs having got lucky. It just turns my stomach.

Am I the only one that finds it such a turn off that I nearly wouldn't bother no matter how good she looked?

Let me disect this..you were with the lads
    There was a girl on tv
    you're at home now

BUT you nearly wouldnt bother etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Leaves a sexy stain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

She can wipe her lipstick off in a second, your attitude will stay with you for a long time.

I doubt she would give you a second glance once you opened your mouth and put your size 9's in it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Is the lipstick I wear, haven't been told I look like the joker yet..... :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah I know what your getting at. I always think if a girl has too bright of a tone of lipstick she looks likes like a dogs dinner, I prefer minimal application of makeup, let the natural beauty shine through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

baz2009 wrote: »
    Looks very nice on selected women. Makes most women look like The Joker though.
    BadGirl wrote: »
    Is the lipstick I wear, haven't been told I look like the joker yet..... :-P

exceptions to every rule... ;)

Some women look like tranys with lipstick, you'd wonder do they look in the mirror or anything. Their friends telling them they look gorgeous than so they might actually believe they don't look like a pre op yoke.

Chucken wrote: »
    Let me disect this..you were with the lads
    There was a girl on tv
    you're at home now

BUT you nearly wouldnt bother etc....
    I'm afraid my days of long nights out are well and truly done and dusted whatever lipstick she's wearing.

Hot Lips wrote: »
    She can wipe her lipstick off in a second, your attitude will stay with you for a long time.

I doubt she would give you a second glance once you opened your mouth and put your size 9's in it.:)
    Ah a woman confusing an opinion with an attitude. There's a first:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Lip biting kinky women with fringes and very dark hair. :) sexy as foook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Yeah I know what your getting at. I always think if a girl has too bright of a tone of lipstick she looks likes like a dogs dinner, I prefer minimal application of makeup, let the natural beauty shine through.
    This would be my attitude. The last time I wore lipstick was a couple of years ago to go with my Halloween out fit, and it felt so unnatural.

I only ever put on Vaseline or some other lip moisturiser, lipstick doesn't look natural at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Makes me think she's ovulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

We were in the pub tonight and the Eurovision was on the telly. There were four of us and when the Italian performer came on my mates thought she was gorgeous. Now she was but she was wearing this god awful red lipstick that seems to be popular at the moment.
    It works well on southeast asians. Other than that, no.

I wear red lips the odd time (not actual lipstick though). You have to find a tone of red that suits you and your skin. You can't just go throwing any red lipstick on.

I think it suits me, but then I would, wouldn't I!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Every guy wants a big red lipstick stain on his mickey... except the gays of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

According to the British zoologist, Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape, 1967), the widespread practice of enhancing the red colour of the lips was due to a biological analogy with the labia, because these flush red and swell when women are aroused.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I like to wear red lip gloss, I don't wear lipstick. I think it looks quite sexy (even if I do say so myself) and I really couldn't care less what anybody else thinks as long as I think it looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It really suits some girls - usually girls with a kind of gothic look.
    But it just looks stupid on most.
    I think I wore an earthy lipstick on my wedding day, but besides that, I think the last time I wore any, I was about 15.
    I don't really like lipstick - I prefer focusing on the eye area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

I think red lipstick only looks well on women with medium to dark skin tones.
    It was an unspoken rule at one stage that pale women shouldn't wear red lipstick but it seems to be all the rage now.
    Personally I think it looks ridiculous on pale women..Olive skinned women can get away with it.
    Some women think they can wear every colour under the sun no matter what their skin colour is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nothing says "I'm a bunny boiling mentalist" quite like bright red lipstick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

It's a fact that red lipstick makes your teeth look more yellow so it looks nicer on people who have stunning pearly whites.
    Think it also depends on the shape of your lips too. I have quite big lips and always look like I got a smack in the mouth when I try wearing it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I prefer it to orangey shades, which are very prevalent and awful on most women IMO. And bright red can be stunning, if you can carry it off, and have very white teeth. Nothing worse than red lipstick and yellow teeth though.

I go for dusky pinks myself as I am a freckly pale Irish woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

According to popular culture it should suit me as I've pale skin and black hair, but it looks dreadful on me. Purpley winey colours only.

• Advertisement

• Abi wrote: »
    This would be my attitude. The last time I wore lipstick was a couple of years ago to go with my Halloween out fit, and it felt so unnatural.

I only ever put on Vaseline or some other lip moisturiser, lipstick doesn't look natural at all.

I used to think that, but I've started wearing pink lipstick (corally shades mostly) and I get a lot of compliments. I think the right tone of lipstick can really brighten up your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I like to wear kind of an icey blue colour so I look like I'm dying from hypothermia. Hypthermia...so hot right now! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

ziggy23 wrote: »
    It's a fact that red lipstick makes your teeth look more yellow so it looks nicer on people who have stunning pearly whites.
    Think it also depends on the shape of your lips too. I have quite big lips and always look like I got a smack in the mouth when I try wearing it :o

Red lipstick actually makes your teeth look whiter, depending on the tone of it (i.e. cool toned/warm toned).

I think red lipstick looks great, no matter your skin colour/tone. There's a red out there to suit everyone.

Also, if you put it on correctly it won't leave marks on anything ;)

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I like to wear kind of an icey blue colour so I look like I'm dying from hypothermia. Hypthermia...so hot right now! :cool:

Blue steel pose?

Abi wrote: »

True Abz - I just use those lipsticks that are on a palette like eye-shadow and just dab them and put a hint of colour on my lips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dudess wrote: »
    According to popular culture it should suit me as I've pale skin and black hair, but it looks dreadful on me. Purpley winey colours only.

But of course, winey is a given for people from cork

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dislike it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Looks savage on some chicks with the right complexion for it. That is until they pick up their glass and leave a big greasy red stain all over it - yuck! :(

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Looks savage on some chicks with the right complexion for it. That is until they pick up their glass and leave a big greasy red stain all over it - yuck! :(

That's why I don't wear lipstick but rather a lip stain, doesn't come off your lips!

That's why I don't wear lipstick but rather a lip stain, doesn't come off your lips!

You really need to spread the word on that - it's feckin' disgusting, nearly as bad as women with too much lipstick on that has smeared on to their teeth. :(

• Advertisement

no fun for the guys then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Red lips not sexy?

Two words: Gwen Stefani.

You really need to spread the word on that - it's feckin' disgusting, nearly as bad as women with too much lipstick on that has smeared on to their teeth. :(

Here ya go!
    no fun for the guys then

Lipstick would be the last thing on their mind ;)
    :p

Won't be needing any myself but thanks anyhow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Personally, I wouldn't be too gone on red lipstick. Of course there are women that can pull it off, but I'm just not too fond of it.

Professionally, as a barman, anyone who wears it on a night out should be shot!

Won't be needing any myself but thanks anyhow! :D

You could have it in your pocket and when you see an offender you can offer some complimentary make up advice!

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't be too gone on red lipstick. Of course there are women that can pull it off, but I'm just not too fond of it

Is this one of em?

11086594_ori.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I like red lipstick. I agree that it can look better on some people than on others but yeah, I'd be a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I wear red lips the odd time (not actual lipstick though). You have to find a tone of red that suits you and your skin. You can't just go throwing any red lipstick on.

I think it suits me, but then I would, wouldn't I!

This. It's completely dependent on your skin tone, then things like hair colour and style, other makeup, overall style are going to make it look either great or desperate.

It's like any makeup really - wear the wrong foundation number or wrong shade of eye shadow and you'll look like a clown.

Lipstick can be deadly though, it's only recently that I've really started wearing it and it can really perk up your face and bring out your features.

With my colouring I'd like to achieve this effect but it never turns out that way dammit. I think the skin needs to be really, really pale, which mine isn't - I've a bit of a glow in my cheeks. It's pale but not snow white. Gwen Stefani's skin is really evenly white too, like Dita Von Teese's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement