Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some good friendly advice

Options
  • 27-05-2012 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have decided to get a rifle for myself and it is my first rifle. I will be shooting rabbits mostly. I have been told to get a .22 rimfire . Which I am absolutely sure is right for me, but I would like to get one with a scope that I can use at around 200 feet. As it is my first rifle, I don't want to spend a fortune. My budget is €500 , although I would rather spend less if possible. My question to the more knowledgeable of you is : should I buy new or 2nd hand, and what should I go for ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Would take a wild guess that about 90% of us will say.... go second hand, and go for a CZ Brno 452.

I went for a new one, a little over the €500 mark with scope and bits and love it, there the tanks of the .22 lr range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

go second hand theres any amount of them out there for good money with a scope on them,get a mod aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Reason to go second hand with a 22lr is that the ammo is sub-sonic and lubricated. So the barrel barrel will take many, many years to wear if at all. There are plenty of .22lr rifle with 100,000 rounds gone through them and they still shoot good.

You will get a second hand CZ 425 (Brno) for well under €500 if you look around, my son got his for 250 + €50 for a scope. Ring as many dealers as you can to get prices of .22lr's in stock.

The .22lr will is accurate out to 125 yards using sub-sonic ammo @€;6 for 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Butcherhayes

I have a friend who has a Marlin .22 Magnum with Scope that he is selling for around €300 (Although I am sure i can get it down a bit). Does this sound ok and also, what is the procedure to buying a gun from someone private ? Especially as it is my first rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I have decided to get a rifle for myself and it is my first rifle. I will be shooting rabbits mostly. I have been told to get a .22 rimfire . Which I am absolutely sure is right for me, but I would like to get one with a scope that I can use at around 200 feet. As it is my first rifle, I don't want to spend a fortune. My budget is €500 , although I would rather spend less if possible. My question to the more knowledgeable of you is : should I buy new or 2nd hand, and what should I go for ?

Good advice from all the lads above. CZ all the way. Second hand if you want the cheaper route.

Most lads here have a CZ or had one and would like it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have a friend who has a Marlin .22 Magnum with Scope that he is selling for around €300 (Although I am sure i can get it down a bit). Does this sound ok and also, what is the procedure to buying a gun from someone private ? Especially as it is my first rifle.

You will find that many more people have .22lr's than .22 mag's

FCA1 Form section 3-
    3.3-Source of Firearm (C)
    Complete this section if you didn’t hold a license for the firearm in the last 3 years. If your buying from a dealer then he should fill in this (A) part. If your buying from a private source then complete part (B).
    (A)-Get your dealer to complete this.

My video on completing the FCA1 is here.
    http://www.irishshooting.com/?page_id=310

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

.22magnum is a good round too and will be able to shoot foxes at 100 yards.
    It will give further range than the .22 with more punch before it begins to drop.
    Friend of mine has a marlin .22magnum and its a great gun.
    It Will be much louder than the .22 because you can't get subsonic ammo.
    Also ammo is about double the price.

If its your first firearm you will most likely have to do a fire arms handling/competency course which some people do for about 30-40 euro.

The licence itself is 80euro for 3 years and you should be able to pick up a second hand safe for 100euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

hi,
    i traded in my Krico .22LR with a scope and a moderator with seamus mcbride in athlone not long ago for a remington 12g pump. it is a very clean bolt action with 5 round magazine and it is very accurate. perfect little gun and perfect for what you are looking for and ammo is very very cheap.

im sure it will be well within your price rang and he is a very straight and honest dealer and will stand by any guns he sells (i have bought three off him and found him to be 100%)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Butcherhayes

Thanks James. I'll have a look and see what the details are. I will be phoning around and not rushing in on any buy. Seems to be the general concensous that a CZ Brno 452 is a good start. But i won't limit myself to that gun only. I would appreciate anyone giving me any heads up on potential rifles available. Just like James has done. Also, anybody that can tell me if the gun James is telling me about, is A good gun / Any negatives or positives I should think about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭franknrol

i had a krico 300 in wmr as my first rifle. imo a hardy, well built little gun. as accurate as you'll ever need for the bunnies. German made circa '85. sorry i sold it now. try david mullvihill in ballymahon, he has alot of 2nd hand 22lr for little money, as for the cz have 527 now,lovely accurate guns. best of luck with the search and well wear with what ever ya do get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

you could look at a ruger 10/22 aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

A Brno or a Cz will see you right. I picked up my Brno for €250 or there abouts, love it to bits.

The RFD I bought it have still has his Brno he picked up 40 odd years ago.

Can't go wrong with a CZ 452 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Mate of mine came up to the house yesterday with his new CZ 452 Scout rifle ,the thing is the length of my arm lol so after the laughing was over we zeroed it in after a few minutes . I must say it is an outstanding little bunny bashing gun,I was putting shots threw the same hole at 80 yards and could do it all day it was that easy to use. We got a half dozen bunnies with no problem, 525 rounds for 15e is well ware as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Spunk84 wrote: »
    .........525 rounds for 15e is well ware as well

hijacking this thread, where you getting 525 rnds for €15.00, got two trigger happy kids to feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Spunk84 wrote: »
    .........525 rounds for 15e is well ware as well

hijacking this thread, where you getting 525 rnds for €15.00, got two trigger happy kids to feed.
    I'll ask him tomorrow :D

Advertisement