Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimminz on heels

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Have you those on today? Or is that from your archive of photos of your own shoes? Bit hot for closed toe shoes today, no? Those at least have a nice thick rubber sole though. So as not to feel every pebble etc.

no, wearing a pair of flip flops today ;) and the picture is one I googled. but yeah, they've got a really comfy insole as well. my other pair of heels are just nowhere near as nice, so if I was ever buying heels again it would be ones like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 _Moss_

I love my flat shoes :D I'm 5ft2 and try to only wear heels to special occasions, where I hopefully won't be standing for too long. On nights out it's either wedges or flats.

I remember one night out I was kicked by some lunatic wearing high heels trying to riverdance, I bled and had a big nasty bruise for ages :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know a girl whose foot was impaled by a stiletto. Wearers of them things really have to be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

saddle soap
    and you only wear them around the house until they are broken in

Hmmmmmmmmm.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I love high heels, high heels are sexy. if you wear them every day you get used to them. If they hurt me I would not wear them.

@ Links, did you post shoes in AH's?:D

Any time I see ads for something that fixes feet damaged from wearing heels I think of the South Park episode with Chipotlaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Dudess wrote: »
    I know a girl whose foot was impaled by a stiletto. Wearers of them things really have to be careful.

My sister was at a party a while back and the host's cousin picked up a stiletto belonging to some other idiot and threw it right at her face. He was aiming for someone else but still managed to split her upper lip open with the heel of it. She has a nice half inch scar now on her philtrum as a reminder. She was still lucky though it didn't hit her in the eye. I would have actually ripped him apart with my bare hands if I had got my hands on him that night. :mad:

They're not called after daggers for nothing.

hondasam wrote: »
    @ Links, did you post shoes in AH's?:D
    I did :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what about the wimminz who wear comfortable shoes ?

• Advertisement

Don't be so silly, no such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

They haven't mastered the act of walking on high heels yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

YEH and then you put on the flats and get trampled on, on the dancefloor,because you are so much shorter than everybody; and then you lose one of the flats and then you are walking with one shoe and then you stand on glass... and then you CRY,

Like if you cried. xoxoxo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

If they are so comfortable they don't realise they are wearing them I would ask them to remember this simple poem;

The night is almost over
    You're almost through the door

You've found your key, it's in the lock
    You're sure there's nothing you've forgot

But before you enter this I beg of you
    Check your feet and count One! Two!

:D

CavanCrew wrote: »
    YEH and then you put on the flats and get trampled on, on the dancefloor,because you are so much shorter than everybody; and then you lose one of the flats and then you are walking with one shoe and then you stand on glass... and then you CRY,

Like if you cried. xoxoxo.

Are you alright, love?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I wear them because I'm short 5"2 so 4 to 5 inch heels make me feel normal. If I went out in flats I'd prob be asked for ID :( damn shortness!!! They also do make the legs look longer and really finish off an outfit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'm a demon for high heels, I think I must have about 15 pairs by now. I generally start the night off in them then switch to flats after about midnight-1 o clock, depending on the amount of dancing being done.

Are you alright, love?

No :(

CavanCrew wrote: »
    No :(
    Have a wee read of my poem above.

That will cheer you up :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Any key? wrote: »
    I guess thats the point of liberation....to wear the things you like that you feel express who you are regardless of other peoples opinions.

As for the guy questioning is educated friends wearing heels...shocking only some dumb blonde should wear heels...sigh :rolleyes:

For what its worth high heels for the win.Always.

I'ts with the highest regard for other peoples opinions that young women put themselves through so much discomfort and a cauld bum to catch a fellah too .That's a bondage that's no freedom .Yer all slaves to the dictates of the media advertising .

Where To wrote: »
    Have a wee read of my poem above.

That will cheer you up :)

Hahaa, all I care about is that my dignity is intact,

nice poem !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I worked with a woman in her late forties who decided to start being more sensible and ditch the heels and wear flats. She then fell down an escalator in a London Underground station. The doctors told her that her muscle structure had developed to cope with high heels and she had fallen because her leg and bum muscles couldn't cope with the movement of the escalator in flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Links234 wrote: »
    Sometimes good shoes just need to be broken in. Any time I had to break in a pair of docs, I was in some agony, heels cut to bits, blisters, the works. But once they're broken in they're the most comfy things ever.
    mattjack wrote: »
    Breaking in new Docs ? Without doubt a form of torture.
    saddle soap
    and you only wear them around the house until they are broken in

A buddy of mine always used a ball pein hammer to soften the leather on the back of the ankle. It did shorten the life of the stitching though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Abi wrote: »
    No, not true either. I don't care what women think of my clothes.

Come on. He said women, not all women. If you don't care what women think of your clothes, then you're in the minority. Most girls dress for other girls. Most guys have no idea, nor do they really care, how much or how fashionable your shoes are. Some shoes cost crazy amounts of money and are eagerly bought by girls to impress their friends. Not many guys can tell the difference between a €10 pair of heels from Penneys and something in the magazines that costs €300.

Overthrow wrote: »
    Most girls dress for other girls./QUOTE]
    Most really don't. They buy those clothes, shoes and products because they like them.
    I have not known of a single woman woman who has ever bought anything for any reason other than she really likes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Amzie wrote: »
    I wear them because I'm short 5"2 so 4 to 5 inch heels make me feel normal. If I went out in flats I'd prob be asked for ID :( damn shortness!!! They also do make the legs look longer and really finish off an outfit!

Some lads like short girls, they will like you for how you really look!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Where To wrote: »
    Ladies,

May I give you some advice?

LOOK AFTER YOUR FEET!

Three times tonight I have seen women cut their feet (one quite badly) because their shoes 'were too sore to walk in' .

If they hurt you don't fuppin wear them in the first place, real men don't care what height you are!!

What must your bedsheets be like in the morning after spending all night barefoot on a scummy disco floor?

You spend fortunes on these bacon slicers and then you go home without them, or with just one of them. I have that many single ownerless heels in my house that people nickname me 'Prince Charming'

Thank You.

Well ladies we've sure been told. A man has spoken and we had better listen to him.;)

I don't wear heels when I go out for my own comfort, but even if I did thats my own choice, so no f*cks given here.

Well ladies we've sure been told. A man has spoken and we had better listen to him.;)

I don't wear heels when I go out for my own comfort, but even if I did thats my own choice, so no f*cks given here.

Good girl yourself! And I'm sure you never have to go looking for a fella either!

Its all about confidence and you have it with or without the heels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

eyesquirm wrote: »
    Any woman that came to my place a second time usually had the Gardai with her

:D

that you larry?

dudess wrote:
    Most really don't. They buy those clothes, shoes and products because they like them.
    I have not known of a single woman woman who has ever bought anything for any reason other than she really likes it.

Obviously girls don't go about saying "Oh I'll buy this because the girls will like it", and besides whatever subconscious influential factors that are in play, they probably do genuinely like the article themselves. But in a world of infinite choice there's a lot of conclusions that can be drawn as to why we buy particular things. Why do they like it? What is the purpose of clothes? To advertise and embellish status. The only ones who can appreciate that are other girls. The 'showing off' ritual where the gaggle celebrate the acquired adornments of their sister, envious and adoring, is the climax of the new investment.

Overthrow wrote: »
    Obviously girls don't go about saying "Oh I'll buy this because the girls will like it", and besides whatever subconscious influential factors that are in play, they probably do genuinely like the article themselves. But in a world of infinite choice there's a lot of conclusions that can be drawn as to why we buy particular things. Why do they like it? What is the purpose of clothes? To advertise and embellish status. The only ones who can appreciate that are other girls. The 'showing off' ritual where the gaggle celebrate the acquired adornments of their sister, envious and adoring, is the climax of the new investment.
    Nothing in there that conclusively supports your assertion though, so the "most women" stuff is unhelpful. It's also taking as red that most women can afford designer stuff. This ritual you talk about - watching too much Gossip Girl methinks. When girls do show their friends an item they've bought (by wearing it) their friends may just be admiring the item and nothing more - there may not be anything deeper to it, and I'm guessing that's the case most of the time.
    So guys don't care about the cost etc... so what? If it makes them look good, guys will be interested in them. As a woman, who knows lots of women, I am certain women tailor their appearance for various reasons: to make guys fancy them (I'm sKeptical of women who say this is never ever the case for them) and because they just generally enjoy looking well. What other girls think is way down the list, if on the list at all - unless they're maybe 14.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

What other girls think is way down the list, if on the list at all - unless they're maybe 14.

I had to work in an office once with 20 or so women and just 3 men. All of the women with 2 or 3 honourable exceptions were obsessed with each others weight and how they looked. The 3 men were obsessed with fantasy football and getting to the pub as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There are mens shoes that are almost as bad. I used to have a pair of shoes very similar to these years ago. What really started to turn me off them was when I went to an outdoor festival in Kilkenny in 2006 to see Bob Dylan. Everyone ran to the front to get a good place. I tried to do the same but could barely walk in my shoes, let alone run. A couple of months later I gave up on the shoes and got a pair of runners.

On the positive side I got a nice keyring with the shoes. The shoes are long gone but I still have the keyring.

There are mens shoes that are almost as bad. I used to have a pair of shoes very similar to these years ago. What really started to turn me off them was when I went to an outdoor festival in Kilkenny in 2006 to see Bob Dylan. Everyone ran to the front to get a good place. I tried to do the same but could barely walk in my shoes, let alone run. A couple of months later I gave up on the shoes and got a pair of runners.

On the positive side I got a nice keyring with the shoes. The shoes are long gone but I still have the keyring.

:D:D:D

Nothing in there that conclusively supports your assertion though, so the "most women" stuff is unhelpful. It's also taking as red that most women can afford designer stuff. This ritual you talk about - watching too much Gossip Girl methinks. When girls do show their friends an item they've bought (by wearing it) their friends may just be admiring the item and nothing more - there may not be anything deeper to it, and I'm guessing that's the case most of the time.
    So guys don't care about the cost etc... so what? If it makes them look good, guys will be interested in them. As a woman, who knows lots of women, I am certain women tailor their appearance for various reasons: to make guys fancy them (I'm sKeptical of women who say this is never ever the case for them) and because they just generally enjoy looking well. What other girls think is way down the list, if on the list at all - unless they're maybe 14.

Nothing there to support your assertion either besides "I know lots of women", so limiting the scope of your opinion to your own experiences is fine but not entirely convincing for others. (hint: I also know lots of women, so do most people)

Why do people pay so much for shoes? Do you think it's just because they like wearing them?

Why do some guys spend loads of money on a flash new car? Is it because they just like driving them?

The hypotheses of "and because they just generally enjoy looking well" is far too vague to satisfy me, and I think therein lies the disagreement.

Why do people enjoy looking well? What is it about their 'look' that makes them think they look well? What does their own opinion of them looking well say about who they are, where they get their social validation from? Their social ambition? Their exterior identity? etc.

P.S I've never watched an episode of gossip girl in my life thank jeebus ;)

I had to work in an office once with 20 or so women and just 3 men. All of the women with 2 or 3 honourable exceptions were obsessed with each others weight and how they looked. The 3 men were obsessed with fantasy football and getting to the pub as soon as possible.

I dont know what way to regard this post,

This office could, being male myself, be one of the Seven Circles of Hell or alternatively be paradise ... were they hawt wimmins ?

mattjack wrote: »
    I dont know what way to regard this post,

This office could, being male myself, be one of the Seven Circles of Hell or alternatively be paradise ... were they hawt wimmins ?

They were various levels of beauty, but the hottest women were the ones that would have normal conversations about life in general. The ones that were fashion police weren’t hot but they believed they were. They tended to look down on women who didn’t have the right shoes or the right clothes. The nastiest comments were aimed at those that weren’t wearing make up correctly.
    It was a well paid job but I left as soon as I could. The other two guys left soon after.

Overthrow, what do you base the view that women are trying to impress other women on though? Just a feeling you have or something more concrete? It gets trotted out a bit but there's never any real substance to it. To me, it just seems to have its roots in the "Women are mostly bitches" school of thought, which while true for some no doubt, gets way over-stated.
    How does the women being obsessed with weight and appearance mean they were competing with each other though?

This thread had me throw on my heels this evening just for kicks :D I do like my heels a lot, even if they do make me around 6'3" :o YOU'RE ALL HOBBITS NOW! :pac:

Overthrow, what do you base the view that women are trying to impress other women on though? Just a feeling you have or something more concrete? It gets trotted out a bit but there's never any real substance to it. To me, it just seems to have its roots in the "Women are mostly bitches" school of thought, which while true for some no doubt, gets way over-stated.

How does the women being obsessed with weight and appearance mean they were competing with each other though?

There are all types of women, just like there are all types of men. However, certain women are obsessed with fashion. It’s very much a competition to see who looks best. If you heard the conversations I heard you’d know it was competitive. Plus it wasn’t to impress men. One of my male colleagues started to give out about shoes and handbag one day and was firmly put in his place.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Why do women follow the decisions of Gay men on how a woman should look .Ask a real man how a woman should dress .Many gay men are women haters anyway .It defies logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This thread had me throw on my heels this evening just for kicks :D I do like my heels a lot, even if they do make me around 6'3" :o YOU'RE ALL HOBBITS NOW! :pac:

Don't you like my hairy feet then ?? :(

I never said it was a bitchy thing. I think women for the most part are pretty interested in fashion. I think most women are pretty conscious of how they look, what categories they fit in to (or not, if they wear this top instead), and I also think they are aware that other women are also aware. So looking good - and if we take the word 'good' to mean attractive, and if we take attractive to mean of a desirable status - allows someone to feel impressive.

The intricacies of this are much more in play between women. The line of "impressive" and "unimpressive" is much more defined between woman and woman than it is between woman and man, because men have a more simplistic level of assessment, they don't read magazines, look at photos, talk about clothes, spend hours shopping, etc.

So the competitive element, the want to impress and be seen as a desirable, attractive female, is much more immediate to the female/famale grouping than it is to the female/male grouping.

Your jubilance about this makes you more Orc than Elvish you know :D.

Don't you like my hairy feet then ?? :(

I don't like hairy feet at all, not just yours ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It never ceases to amuse me how some women will go all out to say, and repeat ad nauseum, that they DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THEM...directly trying to influence what people think about them in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Women dress to impress women and undress to impress men... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

paddyandy wrote: »
    Why do women follow the decisions of Gay men on how a woman should look .Ask a real man how a woman should dress .Many gay men are women haters anyway .It defies logic.

I presume it's because they feel that Gay men won't just tell them what they want to hear in the hope getting them into bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I LOVE HIGH HEELS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Alexandra Burke reckons women can do what men can do, only better and in broken heels.

I think she's a fcuking troll!!

Alexandra Burke reckons women can do what men can do, only better and in broken heels.

I think she's a fcuking troll!!
    They can't go to bed after a night out without washing their feet :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement