Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimminz on heels

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Denise90 wrote: »
    Pretty shoes don't care what men think

pretty men don't give two ****s what women think tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Overthrow wrote: »
    The line of "impressive" and "unimpressive" is much more defined between woman and woman than it is between woman and man, because men have a more simplistic level of assessment, they don't read magazines, look at photos, talk about clothes, spend hours shopping, etc.

So the competitive element, the want to impress and be seen as a desirable, attractive female, is much more immediate to the female/famale grouping than it is to the female/male grouping.

This is very true. I'd imagine the majority of men know feck all about women's fashion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Overthrow wrote: »
    I never said it was a bitchy thing. I think women for the most part are pretty interested in fashion. I think most women are pretty conscious of how they look, what categories they fit in to (or not, if they wear this top instead), and I also think they are aware that other women are also aware. So looking good - and if we take the word 'good' to mean attractive, and if we take attractive to mean of a desirable status - allows someone to feel impressive.

The intricacies of this are much more in play between women. The line of "impressive" and "unimpressive" is much more defined between woman and woman than it is between woman and man, because men have a more simplistic level of assessment, they don't read magazines, look at photos, talk about clothes, spend hours shopping, etc.

So the competitive element, the want to impress and be seen as a desirable, attractive female, is much more immediate to the female/female grouping than it is to the female/male grouping.

I actually think you talk a lot of sense.

Many women love to peruse fashion magazines, talk about fashion and make-up and look at whatever trends the celebrities are wearing. Not all, of course, but quite a few.

Women also tend to pick friends who are similar to them, so ladies who care about fashion tend to be friends with other girls who care about fashion.
    When a woman spends a stupid amount of money on any fashion item, she wants it to be appreciated by others. Of course she may love it herself, but also appreciates the new shoes, top or dress being 'ooh and aahed' over.

It may not be very right-on to say, but when I dress up to go out, I like to look nice not only for myself, but for my partner. When I was single, I wanted to appear attractive to the opposite sex too.

I appreciate other women who dress well and look good. I'd also like to think when I've made a special effort, others appreciate it too.

On a similar note, I agree that in a group of women and men, it'll mostly be the women commenting on other women, not the guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I still don't buy that that means women don't dress up and put on make-up etc for men and they just do so for other women. The stuff about prices and women's fashion are irrelevant - if they make them look good, guys will fancy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's both. They dress for confidence and get that reinforcement of confidence from male attention. Women also tend to validate the **** out of other women they like, so they can't be sure if their friends saying they look 'fab' actually makes it so. Therefore, the attention of men is the only real indicator. But the confidence boost is the main priority.

Thanks for telling us how we think.

I'd have thought men dress smartly because they like looking well, but I'd better revise that and do a psychoanalysis of it...

Not being a woman, I'd say I'd probably be well placed to make an unbiased assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I think women dress for a dozen or more reasons and men, three or four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I LOVE HIGH HEELS

What are you trying to say?!

leggo wrote: »
    Not being a woman, I'd say I'd probably be well placed to make an unbiased assessment.
    Not being a mind-reader or acquainted with every woman though, much of it IS based on notions in your head, what you've picked up from the media, and... a bit o' axe-grindin'? Just asking like.

"Women dress for other women" - nah it's bollocks to put it so simply. Why does liking to look well have to be subject to so much analysis, particularly in the case of females? It's a perfectly natural human need, to feel flattered and desired. Why is it felt by a few that there has to be an agenda behind it when it comes to women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Although a tip I have picked up along the way is if you have fallen in love with a pair of shoes and the heel is too high, bring them to a cobbler and get them cut down to s wearable size.

Does that really work? Cutting the heels down? I thought you'd end up with heels tipped backwards and toes lifted off the ground if you did that.

Like you, I never wear the few pairs of high heels I have because they're just ridiculous to (try) walk in, but I have fantastic pair of purple lace up ankle boots that I love...and at this rate they only ever get worn in my house, and not for long either. I'd love to get them cut down to a more wearable size.

Really high heels are absurd, I don't know how some women wear them. Quite often they end up look like Minnie Mouse :eek:

Wedge heels/chunky heels are the best invention ever - all the leg lengthening loveliness of sharp pointy dangerous heels without the sharp pointy dangerousness. Plus they don't make you walk like a baby deer :) However, all the above considered, you just can't beat flat shoes for those times you're legging it for a bus/leaping about the dance floor/just feel like running, skipping or jumping in the air because the sun is shining brightly and you can run, skip and jump in the air in your shoes that aren't secretly trying to kill you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I like high heels on a woman but mainly in a bedroom situation. Preferably on laced up black leather boots...mmmm...oh my *fans self*

PS. The heels make for excellent handles for increased traction or leverage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I like high heels on a woman but mainly in a bedroom situation. Preferably on laced up black leather boots...mmmm...oh my *fans self*

PS. The heels make for excellent handles for increased traction or leverage :)

My earlier-mentioned (in my previous post) gorgeous purple lace up 'can't walk in these things' boots seem destined to become bedroom boots. :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Why do you burn the shoes?
    Woogie. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Dudess wrote: »
    "Women dress for other women" - nah it's bollocks to put it so simply. Why does liking to look well have to be subject to so much analysis, particularly in the case of females? It's a perfectly natural human need, to feel flattered and desired. Why is it felt by a few that there has to be an agenda behind it when it comes to women?

Probably what you say is true, I don't believe my OH (dangerous typo there, put HO instead of OH, will have to watch that going forward!) dresses to impress other women. But I do think it is a factor.

If women didn't care what other people thought of how they dressed and purely did so to feel good, then why are they always conscious of over or under-dressing for an event/night-out for instance? Benchmarking against how other women are dressed, why do that if you're purely dressing to feel confident and not for how you'll be perceived by others, as some claim to be?

I suspect if men bought expensive shoes they could barely balance in and couldn't use for walking more than 200m, it would be subject to quite a bit of analysis as well. ;)

Dudess wrote: »
    Not being a mind-reader or acquainted with every woman though, much of it IS based on notions in your head, what you've picked up from the media, and... a bit o' axe-grindin'? Just asking like.

No, it's a fair question. I have no particular axe to grind, I think my post was quite fair on women tbh. What would you suggest was my axe to grind by saying they dress for self-confidence and re-affirm that based on the attention of the opposite sex?

I'd say working for 40 hours a week over a few years in a women's fashion store, so being paid to observe them constantly at the exact moment when they are trying to look good, alongside a massive interest in psychology in general, would give me a good basis for conclusion. That coupled with the fact that I am not a woman so not likely to reach any misguided conclusions based on what I'd prefer to be true. But, like everyone else, I just have one opinion.

Yeah, I agree that women don't dress for other women. Turns out we are actually on the same page in that regard. So yay! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Pdfile wrote: »
    pretty men don't give two ****s what women think tbh...

mustn't like sex then...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Funny how in depth this has gotten.

I wear heels and yeah, they hurt after a while but they're pretty and make me a normal height. I don't wear them to impress anyone but myself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Honestly, I find nothing sexier than a girl all dressed up but in gutties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Have to say, the people who are wearing high heels that hurt are wearing the wrong heels.

I wear high heels every day in work (no less than 3.5") and I wear heels going out (4" at least!) When I was a teenager I wore heels that cut the crap out of me, but now I invest in good shoes. I have stilettos that I can trip and trap about in all day.

I'm 5'7 / 5'8 so I don't wear them for height. I wear them because they're beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wear heels because I am small and need the height, because they make me less dumpy looking, because being small all my jeans would drag along the ground otherwise.

Do I wear them to look good for men? Do I heck :D No way, I'm very happy with myself and am old enough not to need the validation of some random male to make me feel good about myself.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wear heels because I am small and need the height, because they make me less dumpy looking, because being small all my jeans would drag along the ground otherwise.

Do I wear them to look good for men? Do I heck :D No way, I'm very happy with myself and am old enough not to need the validation of some random male to make me feel good about myself.

I hate this "I do it for myself" crap from women. Bull****! If that's the case then how come you dont walk around the house in them. How come you never see women doing the dishes in them, or snuggling up on the couch to watch a movie with their stilts on.
    You're either doing it for other women or for the attention of men but the last person it's for is yourself.
    By the way, not targeting you specifically, I just dunno how to quote all the "I do it for me" comments in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Heels are fùckin' weapons when the crazy ones take them off and start swinging them in a fight. Friend practically got stabbed by one in the side of the head, perfectly square and permanent stab wound above his temple :pac:

Plus they tend to make some women's feet so rough you could strike a match off their soles. Bleurgh, tis' rotten when a woman is filing her feet and sweeps up the resulting flakes of foot skin peppered all over the floor...........fùck.

Just one of those things I know happens but don't need to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I hate this "I do it for myself" crap from women. Bull****! If that's the case then how come you dont walk around the house in them. How come you never see women doing the dishes in them, or snuggling up on the couch to watch a movie with their stilts on.

That's a good point. They obviously care what people think. Fashion is huge. You hear some people saying, 'OMG! Look what she's wearing. That's so last season.' There is a lot of competition to look good.

Some women like to go out wearing a scarf for a skirt and then complain about been come onto by sleazebags. I don't think they dress up for men, but they do enjoy the ego-boost they get from the attention.

You're either doing it for other women or for the attention of men but the last person it's for is yourself.
    By the way, not targeting you specifically, I just dunno how to quote all the "I do it for me" comments in this thread
    Agreed for the most part except for the bolded bit. Well ok it probably does happen but it's a bit much to just state as if fact that it's a very common mentality.
    Yeah people dress up because the reaction it will cause, but that's not just dressing up for others, it's for themselves also - seeing as the reaction they're looking for is giving them an ego boost. I wouldn't say "the last person it's for" is ourselves. It is one of the first people.

• Advertisement

Everything we do is ultimately for ourselves, we're a selfish species. See the episode of Friends and the "there's no such thing as a selfless good deed" argument for a great illustration of this. Even if women did dress specifically for men, they're dressing to achieve something from that for their own benefit (either for the ride or ego boost or whatever else).

leggo wrote: »
    Everything we do is ultimately for ourselves, we're a selfish species. See the episode of Friends and the "there's no such thing as a selfless good deed" argument for a great illustration of this. Even if women did dress specifically for men, they're dressing to achieve something from that for their own benefit (either for the ride or ego boost or whatever else).

That's not true. I went to the park and I let a bee sting me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bring back men's platforms, when they see them women will realise how stupid they are wearing heels.

Advertisement