Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFI plant

Options
  • 27-05-2012 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whats happening with the IFI plant in Cobh? Did someone buy it, is it being demolished or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The IFI plant was demolished about 8 years ago. Dynea are there now, and Port of Cork intend buying the site IFI was on for a new bulk freight terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pee wee stairmaster

The IFI plant was demolished about 8 years ago. Dynea are there now, and Port of Cork intend buying the site IFI was on for a new bulk freight terminal.

My understanding of it was the individual(s) who purchased the site are now with nama.
    True it would make an ideal deepwater freight terminal imo but a serious upgrade to the road from IFI to the N25 would be required.
    Also, one other key advantadge that the site had was that it WAS connected to the rail network but this line was taken up a number of years ago. Why I don't know but that's another story.

The line went because Iarnrod Eireann stopped doing freight. North Esk and Tivoli also lost their railway connection, and it was marked as one of the reasons for a refusal of planning for the Port Of cork moving their containers to Ringaskiddy. Not impossible to re-enstate it though, but rolling stock is a whole other issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I thought Port of Cork pulled out of the deal but that was about 3 years ago last I heard anything about it.
    Could probably make a good bulk terminal since thats what it was originally set up for but don't see how the road would handle the amount of traffic without a rail connection to take some of it off the road.

Tivoli doesn't have a rail connection either. Neither does whitegate, where all the states oil comes from.

• Advertisement

Thats true and when you think about it the road is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be to be fair.
    The Marino point quay is going to waste though, pity they couldn't get a new major production industry in there that would use the thing.

Tivoli doesn't have a rail connection either. Neither does whitegate, where all the states oil comes from.

Tivoli did have a rail connection but I take it that Irish Rail have given up on freight which begs the question (sorry to go off topic) but are they best serving the rail network in Ireland?
    Back to IFI I was down there some months ago and it's amazing how quickly nature takes it all back when it lies abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

My understanding of it was the individual(s) who purchased the site are now with nama.
    True it would make an ideal deepwater freight terminal imo but a serious upgrade to the road from IFI to the N25 would be required.
    Also, one other key advantadge that the site had was that it WAS connected to the rail network but this line was taken up a number of years ago. Why I don't know but that's another story.

From what I have heard, then the person/s are indeed now involved with NAMA. There was a group of foreign investors visiting the site in the last few weeks, with a view to turning it into a sugar plant. I also believe that they were keen, but were unable to do a deal with NAMA as the original owners are currently up to date with all their repayments.
    Great shame really, as I think a project that large would have brought a massive boost to a town that really needs one.

^ Of course, this is all hearsay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Tivoli did have a rail connection but I take it that Irish Rail have given up on freight which begs the question (sorry to go off topic) but are they best serving the rail network in Ireland?
    Back to IFI I was down there some months ago and it's amazing how quickly nature takes it all back when it lies abandoned.

I have to travel down to the site most weeks and its actually quite scary the difference between the place now, and when it was in full production.. :o Also a shame to see a place like it, lying idle for so long..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Sections of the plant were dismantled and shipped to China but the place was certainly not demolished. Take the Cobh train and you'll get a good look at it. I'd say that marina plan is well gone at this stage.

• Advertisement

Dercola wrote: »
    I have to travel down to the site most weeks and its actually quite scary the difference between the place now, and when it was in full production.. :o Also a shame to see a place like it, lying idle for so long..

Its a shame alright but alot of people are glad its gone, had a horrendous environmental and safety record.

You're right it did have a poor H& S record but if you think that the HSA and EPA have a lot more teeth than they did say 10 years ago they might well have been forced to improve their records. Anyway we'll never know.
    To go off topic again regarding Padraig's question of the propsed Marina yes I'd say it's well and truly buried. Outrageous when you think 95% or so of people within the town were in favour of it. I still maintain that there were powerful vested interests intent on making sure it never got the go ahead.

Thats a shame, a marina is probably the best use of the quay etc that I can think of.
    Of course the abandoned site itself has some value, UCC have done a few studies on how nature has taken over and they seem to reckon its quite an interesting ecosystem. Its probably closer to a nature reserve than a wasteland at this stage!

What marina are we on about? The marina for cobh was nowhere near marino point. The Port of Cork development did not include a marina...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There were some form of tentative plans for a container terminal and/or marina on the IFI Marino point site. The marina plan for cobh town itself was judged by some (correctly in my view) to be a trojan horse for an apartment development on the waterfront. Such a pity the IFI site is lying idle - would seem to have a lot going for it. My father worked there so have a personal interest.

Advertisement