Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don't we "chip" kids?

• 27-05-2012 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Has if ever been discussed? How many kids go missing each year? We'd have found Madeleine within hours...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's not hoew chips work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

same reason we dont "chip" repeat criminals ..... human rights goody goodies would be up in arms !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well I don't mean the way they chip dogs...but surely it would be cheap enough to insert ones that can be traced via satellite. Until they're 16 or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

It would cause too many "chip on your shoulder" jokes.
    It would do more harm than good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Has if ever been discussed? How many kids go missing each year? We'd have found Madeleine within hours...

It sounds good in principle but the weirdos would just slice them out.

What Madeline needed was her parents to be looking after her and not off drinking with their buddies a couple hindered yards from where three young kids were sleeping. I still find it unbelievable they weren't charged with neglect. Maybe if they weren't both upstanding doctors they would be. Wasn't there evidence they were giving medication to the kids so they would sleep.

• Advertisement

It would cause too many "chip on your shoulder" jokes.
    It would do more harm than good

What harm would it do? I'm genuinely interested. I didn't really think about it long enough to find the negatives.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Well I don't mean the way they chip dogs...but surely it would be cheap enough to insert ones that can be traced via satellite. Until they're 16 or whatever.

No, then you would need to power the gps rxer and recharge the kid via the plugin port every day.

Well let's not turn the thread into a Madeleine discussion...yes we all agree that parents should be vigilant at all times but so many kids go missing each year, it's not always down to neglect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Would it be compulsory?

Look at the difficulties in getting all kids vaccinated because of NWO type fears. Chipping kids would lead to hysteria.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

copacetic wrote: »
    No, then you would need to power the gps rxer and recharge the kid via the plugin port every day.

Beats having them locked in a dungeon being repeatedly raped for their whole lives

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Someone hss been watching too much CSI. You want every kid to wear a GPS device, Practical?

bdoo wrote: »
    Someone hss been watching too much CSI. You want every kid to wear a GPS device, Practical?

I've actually never seen CSI. I'm not saying I want every kid to wear a GPS device...I'm just throwing the idea out there. If your child went missing in the morning, wouldnt you suddenly change your opinion?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Beats having them locked in a dungeon being repeatedly raped for their whole lives

Gps wouldn't locate then in a dungeon. Or covered in pretty much anything solid, or if power goes. Basically this would be being done somewhere already if at all practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Far more adults go missing every year, why not chip them? Or, better yet, why don't you get yourself chipped and let us keep track of all of your
    movements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I think it would be a good idea, it would give peace of mind to parents to be able to check their kids location on an iPhone app for example. The chip would need to be put somewhere so it can't be cut out by pyscho kidnappers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

bdoo wrote: »

I've actually never seen CSI. I'm not saying I want every kid to wear a GPS device...I'm just throwing the idea out there. If your child went missing in the morning, wouldnt you suddenly change your opinion?

Possibly. Are you trying to give this balanced consideration or trying to promote it? You said thst you hadn't thought It through- I pointed out a downside.

It is a very good idea in theory. The chip that can be implanted in animals only identifies them when used with a scanner no location function.

Now if you wanted to chip kids and have loads of details on it that could be checked on a compulsary basis say at a ferryport or airport there may be merit to the idea.

Good idea in principle but many downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

My dog has a chip, which cost around €50 when I had it inserted eight years ago. However, it wouldn't help find him if he went missing, because even the most state-of-the-art, and still stupendously expensive, RFID systems facilitate detection at only a hundred or so metres' range:)

Given the hysteria that even mentioning an identity card for humans prompts in many Irish people, the howling and roaring that would ensure if someone wanted to chip people doesn't bear thinking about.:)

Besides, even if everyone had a chip, kidnappers and similar criminals would just gouge it out of their victims with a knife.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I vaguely remember seeing a part in Bowling for Columbine where a mother talked about having her baby chipped 'after what happened in 9/11' and they made out it was set to become the next big craze in the US due to fear of 'Terrorism' etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

wait till the kids figure out how to reprogram them chips, in any case they will only be a vicks vapour rub

help the parents feel better, do **** all for the kid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Kids nowadays are just fat couch potatoes, sure it wouldn't be too hard to chip them and just lob them into the deep fat fryer.

Wouldn't be the worst idea, as long as people get to take it out when they are 16/18. I don't want the Gardaí knowing my drug deals and which brothels I frequent. Privacy and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Jiminy13

Yes they inserted into part of body where they wont be found. Hi tech us secret service stuff and all dat wabble. Toothfully they can monitor health and thoughts!!!! God is here I tells ya hes watching u be a gud boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

How about we lock them up until they are a function member of society and we can reintroduce them back into the world. This would mean that all criminal are locked up before they commit a crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"kids gone missing? there's an app for that"

krudler wrote: »
    "kids gone missing? there's an app for that"

I lol'd.

The way I see it kids go missing in three ways..

1. Some absolute low life takes a kid, now it's no bother to get onto the net and get a blocker for the GPS trackers.. The nackers stealing plant machinery have them so I'd guess sicko's could get them too.. So the embedded GPS is pointless..

2. They wander off and get lost... Now if there were a decent GPS bracelet or the like kids could carry on them to prevent this happening I would consider this... particularly when going to busy places.. But it's hard to beat the hands on approach as it helps prevent option 1 happening too..

3. They run away, a bracelet system would be useless and I presume if they were serious they could get one of the GPS blockers themselves when they are old enough..

The chipping idea is great until you look at the detail and then its pointless.. The best we can do is be the best parents possible an pray to god nothing crazy happens to our kids !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Chip all known sex offenders and just check who was in the area at the time would be better . Then torture the childs location out of them.

bbam wrote: »
    The way I see it kids go missing in three ways..

1. Some absolute low life takes a kid, now it's no bother to get onto the net and get a blocker for the GPS trackers.. The nackers stealing plant machinery have them so I'd guess sicko's could get them too.. So the embedded GPS is pointless..

2. They wander off and get lost... Now if there were a decent GPS bracelet or the like kids could carry on them to prevent this happening I would consider this... particularly when going to busy places.. But it's hard to beat the hands on approach as it helps prevent option 1 happening too..

3. They run away, a bracelet system would be useless and I presume if they were serious they could get one of the GPS blockers themselves when they are old enough..

The chipping idea is great until you look at the detail and then its pointless.. The best we can do is be the best parents possible an pray to god nothing crazy happens to our kids !!

What's the hands on approach?

If your kid gets lost you can find them, there's one benefit right there.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Chip all known sex offenders and just check who was in the area at the time would be better . Then torture the childs location out of them.

Or maybe your child fell into a cave somewhere or no sex offenders know where they are. There are obvious benefits. The objections to this reminds me of around 1999 in school when you were slagged for having a mobile phone. Sometimes change scares people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

If you fell in a cave somewhere the gps wont help , sure you cant get radio signals in the carpark of tesco . So a sex offender gets beaten a bit and they find out hes not lying , big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

ted1 wrote: »
    That's not hoew chips work.

Mmm chips....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I for one would neither have my kids fitted with a tracking 'chip' nor would I support any moves to make this the 'norm' and I have raised 2!! It's the thin end of the wedge, before you know it we will all be sporting a chip and the 'Man' will know our every move as if they don't know enough already!! It's all a bit 1984 for me. :eek:

The powers that be know enough about our personal lives as it is!!

Pandora2 wrote: »
    I for one would neither have my kids fitted with a tracking 'chip' nor would I support any moves to make this the 'norm' and I have raised 2!! It's the thin end of the wedge, before you know it we will all be sporting a chip and the 'Man' will know our every move as if they don't know enough already!! It's all a bit 1984 for me. :eek:

The powers that be know enough about our personal lives as it is!!

It's not for "the powers" to monitor the kids, it's for the parents. It's a good idea if the technology exists.

The hands on approach would be holding your kids hand when your in a busy place... kinda self explanatory really.

cloptrop wrote: »

For the life of me I can't understand why this isn't done.. Sex offenders have surrendered their rights to any civil liberties so surely there can't be a defence against this..

Chip them all so their actions can be traced if required..
    They could be located quickly when needed..
    Make blocking or tampering with the device a serious offence..
    If they don't agree then fine, stay locked up..

It's time we got smart with these criminals and used technology to monitor them for the good of all civilised folk..

Do gooders will cry "civil liberties", "privacy" and all the usual stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It sounds good in principle but the weirdos would just slice them out.

What Madeline needed was her parents to be looking after her and not off drinking with their buddies a couple hindered yards from where three young kids were sleeping. I still find it unbelievable they weren't charged with neglect. Maybe if they weren't both upstanding doctors they would be. Wasn't there evidence they were giving medication to the kids so they would sleep.

You've no life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Is there any private companies that will do this?

The hands on approach would be holding your kids hand when your in a busy place... kinda self explanatory really.

You can't hold your kids hand every second of every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Things like this have existed for quite a while now. Usually a little keyring that attaches to the kid's clothing and a hand held tracker for the parent. They are marketed as useful on holidays at theme parks and the like.

http://personaltrackerdirect.com/?g-trackchildren&gclid=COHOpPe4oLACFdKBfAodrEF0ZA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Horrible, horrible, horrible ****ing idea. This is one issue I can agree with the Jim Corr types on.
    Have a bit of trust ffs.

Horrible, horrible, horrible ****ing idea. This is one issue I can agree with the Jim Corr types on.
    Have a bit of trust ffs.

Why is it so bad?

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    It's not for "the powers" to monitor the kids, it's for the parents. It's a good idea if the technology exists.

And they would not adopt such a system for their own benefit??:rolleyes:
    I prefer the handholding myself, this smacks of tattos in concentration camps!!

Would we be bad parents if we failed to have our kids micro-chipped? Will we have it done in Maternity Hospitals?? Will the HSE be charged with this responsibility? Will the chips be checked periodically for effectiveness? Will we have these checks done alongside their developmental checks? Who will record this information??

Not a conspiracy theorist but I'd draw the line at this!!!

Pandora2 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

And they would not adopt such a system for their own benefit??:rolleyes:
    I prefer the handholding myself, this smacks of tattos in concentration camps!!

Would we be bad parents if we failed to have our kids micro-chipped? Will we have it done in Maternity Hospitals?? Will the HSE be charged with this responsibility? Will the chips be checked periodically for effectiveness? Will we have these checks done alongside their developmental checks? Who will record this information??

Not a conspiracy theorist but I'd draw the line at this!!!

If a private company offers the service then it's your own choice if you want to avail of it and whatever else needs to be done for it to work.

If your parents don't chip their kids that's their own business as it would be a private service.

I don't see the problem with a private service being offered which reduces risks to children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

we chip our pets why not children too?i dont see a reason why not there were over sixty attempted abductions in ireland this year..so why not?

If a private company offers the service then it's your own choice if you want to avail of it and whatever else needs to be done for it to work.

If your parents don't chip their kids that's their own business as it would be a private service.

I don't see the problem with a private service being offered which reduces risks to children.

Fair enough but let's be sure that they are precluded from selling this info on (not something to be taken for granted)!!! Should anyone want to locate their children by longtitude and latitude and pay for the privilege, leave them at it!! It's just not for me and cynic that I am I fear it is information that would eventually be abused. Anyhow, once they would get to the teenage stage, when you are really interested in their location, can you imagine the stuff they would come up with (technologically) to circumvent the chip??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Why don't we "chip" kids?

Personally, I think an annual cull would be more effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Just make sure the gps tracking on jrs mobile is turned on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

During a recent Smithfield market there were horses bleeding from being chipped.

And besides any kid with a mobile phone is already chipped.

Advertisement