Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog nursing nine pups - has four purple nipples

• 27-05-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Our dog is nursing nine pups, born 16th May. She is taking great care of them, has a good appetite and doesn't appear distressed, (no signs of infections) but four of her nipples are very purple, they look bruised. Is this normal and okay? We live near a beach, was thinking of taking her for a dip in the sea (which she loves) as the seawater seems great for healing etc. Would this be a bad idea for a nursing dog? Also should we start supplementary feeding of the bigger ones to take some pressure off her? Her condition is good at the moment, she doesn't seem to be losing weight and we're giving her a little cottage cheese and goats milk to help with her calcium intake. All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Have you been weighing the pups? If not, start and do it every day. If you don't have the Book of the Bitch by Evans and White, buy it. If when you weigh the pups some aren't gaining enough weight, then you should probably think about supplementing the feeding but I think your meant to avoid it if you can. I'm not sure about the seawater, if there were any really bad looking parts, we put sudacream on, but we didn't put it directly on the nipples, just the pups bit nearby and really seemed to hurt her and that normally fixed it overnight. Plus she managed to get a cut and it looked infected so we really wanted to get that cleared up. We feed Lacey with scrambled egg with some milk every day, if you have lactose free milk I'd say that would be best (we happen to have it because I'm lactose intolerant) as most dogs are lactose intolerant. The Book of the Bitch is the most helpful thing ever and if you are every in doubt, just give the vet a ring.

Advertisement