Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breathable exterior paint

• 27-05-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hello,
    Could anyone advise me on what kind of breathable exterior paint we can use on the walls of our old cottage, and where to get it?

Some of the walls have been replastered using lime render but one wall that we haven't touched is "modern" plaster, coated with weathershield.

We are currently peeling of this paint, which shows on the back of it a few spots where dampness has tryed coming out, but we are not pushed to scrape the plaster right now (money is tight right now and we need to move in fast!).

This wall is actually rather good, not much dampness on this side, and having fixed drainage, roof and chimney should make it dry enough.

The current plan is to find a suitable breathable paint that would work on this wall and the other lime rendered walls.
    Thanks a mil for any suggestion! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 9 warwick

Hi
    A lime based paint would be the most appropriate. Just as Bryanf has indicated in his link, there are many now available on the market. The important thing is that you do not use an oil based paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Thanks, Bryan, I was thinking of asking you directly actually! I'll follow the thread you gave me. and thanks, Warwick. I was just wondering whether whitewash would be suitable on the modern plaster/cement coating the wall we are not going to touch for the moment, but will be dealt with later.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I do know of a company that sells a lime paint designed specifically for exterior lime plaster. I don't know if I should mention it here so PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 9 warwick

isaos wrote: »
    Thanks, Bryan, I was thinking of asking you directly actually! I'll follow the thread you gave me. and thanks, Warwick. I was just wondering whether whitewash would be suitable on the modern plaster/cement coating the wall we are not going to touch for the moment, but will be dealt with later.

Can't see a problem
    paint away

• Advertisement
Advertisement