Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini DisplayPort - Thunderbolt?

• 27-05-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Quick question, tried google but can't find a definitive answer. I have 2 Mini DisplayPort adapters, one is VGA, the other is HDMI. My question is will these adapters work with a thunderbolt connection on the new macbook pros? I've read conflicting stories, so has anybody here done it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes, it should work. Thunderbolt is backwards compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've a new Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt and can confirm it will work. I've even a cheap ebay Mini Display - HDMI adapter that works. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

Need some help. Bought a mini displayport to HDMI adapter (audio supported) so as to watch movies etc from the laptop on the TV. Connected it to my macbook pro today and I can get video no problem but can't get sound. When I go to system preferences > sound > output I don't have HDMI or my TV to select. The only option is internal speakers. I have connected my laptop to 3 different TVs (2 LGs and 1 Panasonic) & I have tried 2 different HDMI cables. Any ideas?

It should work. The adapter is audio supported. My macbook supports HDMI audio output. I'm wondering is down to the TVs? Surely one of the three would work though. Stumped. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

This might help (pgs 8-11).

muggyog wrote: »
    This might help (pgs 8-11).

Thanks for that but I have all the software up to date. When I connect a HDMI cable via the adapter its not detecting anything in the sound output box. It still only shows the internal speakers. No HDMI option appears. However if I go to the display settings it picks up LG tv so clearly it knows the tv is connected it just doesnt seem to be able to connect the sound. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you sure the MBP supports HDMI audio?

Yeah I'm nearly positive. See two images attached. One is from my computer when you go to about this mac and audio. The second is from the apple website. If you read the last bullet point it says audio outuput using a third party adapter which is what I am using.

Okay, so it's one of the recent Thunderbolt MBPs, yeah?

Where did you get the adapter?

Yup computer was just bought before christmas & the adapter was bought from amazon. Its meant to be the monoprice audio supported one.

This is the adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Adapter-Support/dp/B002HWWDAY

I don't know, could be a dodgy adapter. There's a reason they are so cheap: they aren't tested properly. You could try buying another cheap adapter from a different source or just carry the audio separately. Do you have a phono to RCA or phono to phono cable lying around? Check the audio inputs on the back of your TV. One of the HDMI ports will usually support audio carried from a DVI source.

• Advertisement

There is only one HDMI port on the back of the main TV I use. Perhaps its a bit outdated? Dont know if this is of any use but my boyfriend has a toshiba laptop that has a HDMI port. In his house it works perfectly hooked up to his tv via a HDMI cable but when he tries to connect it here again its the same issue. Video works fine but no audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I use this Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter from Neet with my 2011 MBP and it picks up audio no problem. As SP says, it could be a dodgy adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I bought a cheap one from eBay for under €5 and it supports both audio and sound. I'd say it's just a bogey adapter you got.

Its definitely one of these models? Looked on the Monoprice website and your adaptor appears to be the only one that supports audio which is suspicious but not conclusive.

Its model 8,1. Its a brand new macbook bought just before christmas. It even says on the apple website that audio works using a third party adapter which is what I am using.

'use select third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters that conform to the VESA v1.1a DisplayPort Interoperability Guidelines.'

You may need a different adaptor.

Advertisement