Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YES

• 27-05-2012 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

I was at the match in lansdowne road yesterday and one of the flags they were waving had "lucozade YES" on it... I was mildly perturbed by it.. is this a new and rather lazy slogan by glaxosmithkline? or is it sneaking in the old politics?

http://i.imgur.com/tNiNj.jpg

:mad:?

:pac:?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'll be voting Yes. I feel the majority will.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

http://www.lucozade.com/yes/

Just an ad campaign it seems. Presume its "just do it" "yes you can" kind of feel good thing rather than anything political.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Glaxo will be the new IG Farben of the resulting eu reich if we vote yes.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Nothing to do with politics. Advertising campaign has been running here for a good while and the UK before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

NO

GAME

SHOW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'll be voting Yes. I feel the majority will.

Reasons I've heard for voting yes thus far "sure aren't shinners agin it" " declan ganley is voting no" ect.

havent heard a real reason for voting yes yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

It's not political. Thanks to corporates muscling in on professional sport, they love sanitising any atmosphere generated by fans. Sports like soccer, rugby are all marketed as middle class games now. Sit down, shut up and buy lots of merchandise when you're there. Profits > Atmosphere experience. The Premier League and all seater stadiums have been the worst hit by this. If we want you to make any noise, it will be on our terms and it must be politically correct and inoffensive :cool:.

It's not political. Thanks to corporates muscling in on professional sport, they love sanitising any atmosphere generated by fans. Sports like soccer, rugby are all marketed as middle class games now. Sit down, shut up and buy lots of merchandise when you're there. Profits > Atmosphere experience. The Premier League and all seater stadiums have been the worst hit by this. If we want you to make any noise, it will be on our terms and it must be politically correct and inoffensive :cool:.

This campaign didn't start with sports. They were doing the UK festival scene long before they were covering the football and rugby here. Its a mass market, and a huge target audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

RichieC wrote: »
    Reasons I've heard for voting yes thus far "sure aren't shinners agin it" " declan ganley is voting no" ect.

You haven't heard the 'access to the ESM reason'?
    Have you been away somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've never liked Lucozade. Any soft drink which includes the word diarrhea on the bottle isn't to be trusted.

• Advertisement

Well I don't really know too much about it to be honest, but I gather that if we vote no, we can be fined by the EU if the books aren't balanced as they'd like.

The shinners are pissing me off now with they're opposition to everything, they're like FF when they're not in government.

There's no point in voting no imo, being half in and half out. It should be all or nothing.
    I think we would be better leaving the EU and having a trade agreement instead. But we won't, so it's better to be all in.

If you pay tax, vote no, if you're on the scratch, vote yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oh, I thought this was going to be about the band. More interesting than the politics, that's for sure:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I've never liked Lucozade. Any soft drink which includes the word diarrhea on the bottle isn't to be trusted.

Bet you don't like apple sours then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Yeah, people will mistake Lucozade and the referendum and vote "yes" as a result of those ads. A bit on the paranoid side, eh ;)

Yeah, people will mistake Lucozade and the referendum and vote "yes" as a result of those ads. A bit on the paranoid side, eh ;)

I'd say you haven't a foocking clue how propaganda works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

They're sponsoring Daniel Bryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

You've never been to Turners Cross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Well I don't really know too much about it to be honest, but I gather that if we vote no, we can be fined by the EU if the books aren't balanced as they'd like.

It's the opposite, voting YES means that budgets must be in balance or in surplus, otherwise a fine of up to 0.1 % of GDP.

Voting YES also means access to the stability fund.

A proper negotiation and a proper democracy would not require the carrot and stick approach, rather just the carrot. Access to the fund for countries that can stick to the requirements, no access to those that don't.

Why the f**k should we sign up to agree to another EU fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I'd say you haven't a foocking clue how propaganda works.

So let me get this straight. GlazoSmithKline came up with a marketing campaign that has been around since at least this time last year, tacitly aware that it could be used to subtly campaign for a yes vote on a treaty that hadn't even been formulated at the time? Would you say the faceless bureaucrats in the EU approached the board of GSK to set in motion this sinister campaign? Or was it the other way around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Sergeant wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. GlazoSmithKline came up with a marketing campaign that has been around since at least this time last year, tacitly aware that it could be used to subtly campaign for a yes vote on a treaty that hadn't even been formulated at the time? Would you say the faceless bureaucrats in the EU approached the board of GSK to set in motion this sinister campaign? Or was it the other way around?

You are mistaken, we just don't have the brains to realise the full extent of this conspiracy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

It's the opposite, voting YES means that budgets must be in balance or in surplus, otherwise a fine of up to 0.1 % of GDP.

Voting YES also means access to the stability fund.

A proper negotiation and a proper democracy would not require the carrot and stick approach, rather just the carrot. Access to the fund for countries that can stick to the requirements, no access to those that don't.

Why the f**k should we sign up to agree to another EU fine?
    That's incorrect.
    Ratifying the treaty requires a government to add deficit rules and a correction mechanism into its national law.

The fine is actually for not putting these rules into law. The Referendum Commission explains it thus:

If a country which has ratified this Treaty fails to put the structural
    deficit rules fully into national law, the issue may be referred
    to the Court of Justice of the EU. If a country fails to abide
    by the Court’s binding ruling, the Court may then impose
    fines of up to 0.1% of the country’s GDP.

If a government fails to meet its obligations regarding deficits, it must follow the correction mechanism to restore stability, however, it is not fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Is there a meh vote at all?

Vita nova wrote: »
    That's incorrect.
    Ratifying the treaty requires a government to add deficit rules and a correction mechanism into its national law.

The fine is actually for not putting these rules into law. The Referendum Commission explains it thus:

If a country which has ratified this Treaty fails to put the structural
    deficit rules fully into national law, the issue may be referred
    to the Court of Justice of the EU. If a country fails to abide
    by the Court’s binding ruling, the Court may then impose
    fines of up to 0.1% of the country’s GDP.

If a government fails to meet its obligations regarding deficits, it must follow the correction mechanism to restore stability, however, it is not fined.

Thanks for correcting that; it is a big mistake in terms of understanding what the treaty is about.

Spoil it or don't vote would equate to meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Spoil it or don't vote would equate to meh!

Few spliffs outside the polling station it is then :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Nope. If we vote Yes, and then don't keep our deficit below 0.5%, we can be fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You can vote NOT YES like John Watters.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0525/1224316662742.html

All I know for certain, less than a week from polling day, is that I will be voting Not Yes.

Not Yes is not the same as No, but neither is it a halfway-house between a positive and a negative. It is really a different kind of Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I see your point.

You know you might like this other drink called Bulmers/Magners Pear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Ah feck off with the political agendas. We've established that this has nothing to do with politics so let's keep talking about the diarrhoea-inducing soft drink instead of polluting another thread with political nonsense. =(

Ulster says No
    Lucozade sponsor Lunster loike so it might have something to do with the Ruggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cactus86

yes! yes! yes! yes! yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

If you vote yes, be prepared for the consequences, it's gonna get ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

superluck wrote: »
    If you vote yes, be prepared for the consequences, it's gonna get ugly.

Ireland votes yes to Lucozade!

The only things that are going to get ugly because of that are the poor, poor toilets. =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Wow - just discovered Lucozade was invented in Cork :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Perhaps this thread is an insidious attempt to promote Lucozade on Ireland's most popular message board? It contains subtle advertising and subliminal messaging, and they intend to get us all hooked on the drink, so we become fat and bloated, and therefore cannot see what is happening before our very eyes!!!

:confused::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

NO
    is the new YES

and dont forget it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whereas all the reasons to vote no are so compelling?

Claiming voteing yes will result in years of austerity, but mysteriously not saying anythign about voteing no.

Country costs €15b a year more to run than we take in. Theres no way to spin that other than to cut spending by €15b.

People keep whinging about voting no to stick it to governments and it was mishandling of funds by politicians that has us where we are but failing to level that against those same politicians having budget limits put on them to stop any more mismanagement.

LOL. I'll say it again. This marketing campaign has no relavence what so ever to the treaty, so much so its been around long before the need for a referendum was even discussed.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

irish-stew wrote: »
    LOL. I'll say it again. This marketing campaign has no relavence what so ever to the treaty, so much so its been around long before the need for a referendum was even discussed.

:D

Thats what those sneaky yes campaigners want you to think......................

• Advertisement
Advertisement