Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Vinegar

Options
  • 27-05-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Funnily enough, I'm also looking for this, but for cleaning purposes. Is clear malt vinegar the same thing as white vinegar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jay2012

a ha! I have the answer. always looked for this myself, often needing white vinegar for laundry/other cleaning and wanted a biggish bottle, not just a little one like you can find in supermarkets.

in the Royal Liver retail park on Naas Rd in D12 (same centre as Bargaintown and Homebase), there's a place called "BuyLo" with homegoods, and also some foods

they have other locations (check website http://www.buylo.ie/). can't speak for all locations, but the royal liver one has a section of "industrial sized" foods meant for restaurants and caterers (giant sizes of ketchup, mayonnaise)

yesterday there at BuyLo i got a huge (2 liters i think) plastic bottle of white vinegar for I think 3.49

in a pinch, malt vineagar might accomplish some of what white vinegar does, but i wouldn't think it's as effective (you're trying to clean and whiten, and the malt colour in malt vinegar probably adds some colour/residue from the malt, which kinda defeats the purspose of cleaning and whitening...)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Faith wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I'm also looking for this, but for cleaning purposes. Is clear malt vinegar the same thing as white vinegar?
    Yeah, white vinegar is distilled malt vinegar, or any distilled vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

White vinegar=acetic acid. I know it is used in photography. The food vinegar is usually 5%, you might get much stronger in chemical supply places.

I imagine some asian supermakets might have big tubs cheap.

For cleaning you might be able to use phosphoric acid, the acid in coke. You can get 20% phosphoric acid in woodies, used to clean out central heating systems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've never seen a drum of it, probably only in catering type places. Have used bottles of Chef's stuff (from the supermarket) for cleaning the kettle and shower head.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Citric acid is another popular descaler, it should be just scale people are cleaning off the shower heads. You can get bags of citric acid cheap in asian supermarket, used for sweet & sour, so might be useful for people in this forum anyways.

Phosphoric acid will work too, I use it in work to get limescale off, it just sizzles away, but its the 20% stuff. If you have old coke it would work if soak in it, many people throw out coke when it is gone flat so you could save it. Or cheapo cola might rival vinegar price wise, but vinegar is probably a more concentrated acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

A friend of mine who was in the catering business ordered me a 5 litre container of white vinegar a few years ago. It was cheap as chips (no pun intended).

Do you know anyone in the catering industry who could help you out?

I keep some mixed with about 50% water in an old pump action spray bottle for general household cleaning, and use it neat for some other things.

Advertisement