Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Picks Thread

• 27-05-2012 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

This thread is solely for picks. No chat, chat goes in the discussion thread.

You may pick any player who has been selected for one of the 16 squads for the Euro 2012 competition, including from the countries still at the provisional squad stage. If you pick before all of the squads are finalized (As of the writing of the OP Greece, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Croatia, Ukraine and France are not finalized) and you pick a member of the provisional squad who isn't selected for the final squad in the next 2 days, you can make a new pick as a replacement as soon as you realise.

When selecting a pick, a picture would be ideal followed maybe by a short paragraph as to why you selected this pick.

After you pick, you must PM the next user to inform them that it is their turn.

You cannot pick two picks in a row from the same country, i.e if you select Xavi in round 1 you must not pick a Spanish player in round 2. Also, you must not have any more than three players from a single country on your team. Wildcard rounds ARE included.

Every user has 12 hours to make a pick. If that time elapses the next user gets to pick regardless. The initial user who forego their pick can pick whenever they get back online. 1 AM - 7 AM isn't counted here, so if you picked at Midnight the person would have until 7 PM, if you picked at 2 PM they'd have until 8 AM. All times are GMT.

There will be 2 wildcard rounds.

Round 4 will be Historical Euro Player, where you select a player who went to a previous European Championships, but is no longer active internationally, whether they have retired from playing (e.g. Marco Van Basten) or simply retired from international duty (e.g. Paul Scholes).

Round 9 will be European Players Who Didn't Make The Finals - Any active player who plays or is eligible to play for one of the 53 UEFA Countries, but who hasn't made the final 23 for one of the following reasons:

• They are injured
    • They are suspended
    • They simply weren't selected
    • Some other reason that saw them have to pull out
    • Their country didn't qualify
    • They are retired from international duty and never went to a previous European Championships (e.g. Wes Brown)
    Players are judged on current ability, apart from 'Historical Euro Player' which is judged on the players at their prime.

The order is as follows (In reverse for the even rounds):
    1. LuckyLloyd
    2. Coletrickle88
    3. bUILDERtHEbOB
    4. Whatawaster
    5. IncognitoMan
    6. Mikeyt086
    7. Junior D
    8. ColeTrain
    9. Blatter
    10. The Floyd p
    11. SirDelboy18
    12. Moneymaker
    13. Redzerdrog
    14. Bounty Hunter
    15. Andy Carroll
    16. Copper Pipe
    So, LuckyLloyd, fire away. Best of luck to you all.

One final thing, if you are worried about mising a deadline, please PM me with a list of players, and I can pick your preference for you. I will be around pretty much all the time, except Monday the 28th of June when I am at an exam and then a concert, and also Wednesday mornings.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Round 1, Pick 1:

Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal

7099750195_31f7dff13c_o.gif

The best player in the competition. I don't need to say anything else here, so I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Mesut Ozil

10491fb3.jpg

Stand out player for Germany u21 in 2009 championships and then their stand out player again in 2010 world cup . Keeps Kaka out of the team at Madrid, he will he will one of my star men .

Pm sent to next guy .

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

My first pick is Andres Iniesta. Best midfielder in the world, don't think I have to justify him tbh...

iniesta_spain1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

sorry about the delay folks - Was away from the computer all day.

my pick is Xavi.

soccerxperts-xavi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round 1; Pick 5:

With my first selection, 5th overall, I select Xabi Alonso.

1273015_full-lnd.jpg

The third consecutive Spanish midfielder to be drafted in the top 5, and perhaps the least expected (or most underrated perhaps), Xabi Alonso is the complete midfielder. He can project the back 4, his reading of the game is second to none, but on the ball he is truly an artist. His range of passing is limitless, he never shirks responsibility, he can take a flying kung-fu kick to the heart from Nigel De Jong and get up and continue playing, he can take corners, free-kicks and penalties and will never go missing in a big game. I looked at the players available for me to draft and asked which would give my team the best chance of winning a football match, I am confident that Xabi Alonso is the man for the job. His importance to the Real Madrid side which finally ended Barcelona's reign of supremacy in Spain was paramount to my decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Missed my pick to catching up

My first draft pick is IMO the best goal keeper in the tournament Iker Casillas. The fact he has been playing for one of the best teams in the world since 99 and is only 31 is a testament to the talent this man possesses. Set to make his 130th international appearance, will be the most capped player at the tournament and is a current European and World champion. Will go down as one of the greats

IkerCasillas09.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Bastian_Schweinsteiger_Picture.jpg

First pick has to be this man: Bastien Schweinsteiger

Was looking for someone who I felt could control not only the centre of field, but the pace of the game.
    This man is around the top of his trade in terms of reading the game, passing, awareness, positioning and shooting from distance.

But the thing that I think really sets this man apart is his work-rate, drive and hunger. In these areas, I can't really see anyone better.

The heart of my team :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

rooneyDM1910_468x893.jpg

My first pick is Wayne Rooney.
    He is a world class player who will spearhead my attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Robin-van-Persie-World-Cup-2010-Image4.jpg

Robin van Persie. The outstanding player in the PL last season and without doubt one of the best forwards around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

david_silva.jpg

David Silva

Oh yeah.....

Arguably Manchester City's most influential player of the season, a season which saw them win the league for the first time in over 40 years. Will be a key member of Spain's XI, and a damn fine midfielder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

My 1st pick will be = Cesc Fabregas

cesc-fabregas-barcelona-cropped

Twice named in the UEFA team of the year and twice named in the PFA team of the year, Cesc Fabregas is one of the most recognisable faces in football. He is a world class midfielder with fantastic vision, touch and precision, with a fine shot on him to boot.

There is no player who has more assists in the top European leagues over the past 6 years, and it is his consistent ability to both dictate play and create chances which make him a vital cog in my machine.

One of the few shining lights for Arsenal in the latter part of the 2000's, I know that he will be extremely important for me.

Although often overlooked in many peoples minds for Xavi and Iniesta, Fabregas should not be underestimated. Barcelona moved hell and high water to get him back last summer and it is easy to see why. He will certainly be key to Barcelona's ambitions over the next 6-7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

lahm_1673234c.jpg

He'll usually be the smallest man on the pitch, but Phillipp Lahm will always have the biggest heart. One of the great under-rated players, he not only captains Bayern Munich, he captains the German side heavily fancied by many to win the competition.

He has over 80 caps for Germany, years and years of experience and he combines strong attacking instincts with solid and dependable defensive traits. He has a string of personal awards and has made many 'Team of the tournaments'. He also brings versatility, he is comfortable either side or pushed forward more as a wing-back. In a position short on quality for this draft, he is an easy choice from the players available.

Lahm was one of the stars of this game and this is made even more impressive considering he was up against Ronaldo for much of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Sorry in work so cant post a pic, will do when am home tomorrow.

It is a tough choice but i have to decide who might slip through till the next pick and who wont.

I will go with Arjen Robben

He offers me versatility and is a massive threat whereever he plays. He has improved so much since joining Bayern and has about a goal every 1.5 games for bayern.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wesley Sneijder

sneijder_wesley_sneijder_501.jpg

Will do write up when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Round 1, Pick 1:

Andy Carroll, England

7b5345661.gif

The best player in the competition. I don't need to say anything else here, so I won't.

Haters?
    6979605480_ac58031e69_o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Round 1, Pick1

My first pick will be Zlatan Ibrahimovich

zlatan-ibrahimovic_1360079.jpg

Round 2 Pick 2

My second pick will be,

Manuel Neuer

519891-bayern-munich-goalkeeper-manuel-neuer.jpg

Round 2, Pick 2

My second signing is Luka Modric.

Luka-Modric.gif

I don't know a great deal about this lad but Harry thinks he is 'triffic' and that's good enough for me.

I envisage Harry and I pulling up in our respective town cars in some small dimly lit pothole ridden car park somewhere in Norf London, rolling down our respective windows and having a good old 'bull and cow' peppered with lots of witty 'banter' while we hammer out a deal and our respective... cuts.

Delighted to have him aboard, triffic professional, fantastic player.
    I think he will link up well with our Andy.

HARRY-REDKNAPP-5-COS.jpg

Daniele%252BDe%252BRossi%252B22.jpg

1.Wesley Sneijder
    2. Daniele De Rossi

2nd pick is another spain and barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets. Prob the most under rated but of the most important cogs in the success of spain and barca in recent years. He tackles brilliantly, covers the ground with ease, is an excellent passer and keeps things ticking over for his team.

andrea-pirlo-italy.jpg

A player that looked finished last season. He looked tired, he looked old and he looked like he'd ran out of ideas. Juventus took a big risk in bringing Andrea Pirlo to the club. But, it paid off handsomly. He fitted seamlessly into their side and was a major factor in securing the league title and going unbeaten for the entire season. 13 assists and countless superb performances along the way. He looked the player he was for many years winning title after title, including a World Cup(MOTM in the final too).

His passing, his vision, his creative spark and his set pieces will be very valuable to my side and to the hopes of Italy.

• Advertisement

In 2003, Sir Alex Ferguson lost out on Ronaldinho. He went on to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and the rest is history.

In 2012, Sir Delboy18 lost out on Andrea Pirlo, something he found out through Jeff Shreeves. He now announces the acquisition of perhaps the most attractive man in football:

franck-ribery-et-sa-femme.jpg

With 12 goals and 20 assists in 28 league appearances, Franck Ribery has enjoyed his best ever season at Bayern Munich. Never found wanting, he was essential to their pursuit of glory this year that tragically fell short. Undoubtedly one of the best wingers in world football, and for my money, one of the best players in the world, I am shocked he has lasted this long without being picked.

His cameo against Iceland the other night demonstrated how he will be key to France's hopes of lifting the European Championships trophy. Toiling before he came on, he helped to maintain their unbeaten record to 19.

My pick is another Frenchman who unfortunately doesn't possess the dazzling good looks of Ribery, he does however have a killer eye for goal and a great goalscoring record.

My pick is Karim Benzema.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRc4AguClVTFljaoywjRJjJd6RFTUnScETeYuuAKU6O8pyQb4ja

Martinez.jpg

Javi Martinez. Very good in almost every department. Can tackle well, can pass well, excellent positioning, silky first touch and can play CM and at the back. Unlucky that he has some of the greatest midfielders of all time ahead of him in the national side but this guy is a class player and will most likely move on to a top tier club this Summer.

Lukas Podolski

lukas-podolski.jpg

Podolski has scored 43 times for Germany in 95 appearances. His strike rate speaks for itself.

250px-Chiellini_in_Nazionale.jpg
    Introducing defensive hard-man: Giorgio Chiellini

A proper defender, with a winning mentality. This man takes no shíte! Serie A defender of the year 08', 09' and 10', he can play in the center of defence or on left. Back in 08' he kept Mr. Villa away from the ball for so long that Villa felt lonely leaving the field.
    He's also a demon in the air, from set-pieces especially, so is likely to chip in with the odd goal.

IMO the best defender at the Euro's

My 2nd Pick: Mario Gómez

Mario-Gomez-Hairstyles-Picture.jpg

Goals. Mario Gómez scores goals. Lots of them. Lots and lots of goals. The bookies favourite for top goalscorer at Euro 2012, 64 goals in 94 games since he joined Bayern Munich, he is one of the most feared strikers in World football. I picked him because I want to win games, and to win games you need goals.

Did I mention that he scores lots of goals?

Frank-Lampard-001.jpg

Frank Lampard is that most invaluable of things, a midfielder who scorers goals and lots of them. Frank has been Chelsea's top goal scorer in the league in 4 out of the last 8 seasons and their 3rd overall all time top scorer. Was pivotal to Chelsea's champions league success this season and captained the team in the final. 90 caps for his country he will offer my midfield experience and class

Pick number 2:

Thomas Muller

Thomas-Muller_2465879.jpg

Samir Nasri, technically excellent and pops up with a few goals.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpTcOpTBaegOHXtWoqbfyMQuKJEltPXArL3AvHoKhDus3P6YfN3w

• Advertisement

Klaas-Jan-Huntelaar.jpg

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

This years Bundeliga top scorer and Euro 2012 qualifer top scorer . 31 Goals in 51 appearances for Holland . Where ever has gone he always scores goals .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Okay, can't post pics now but I'll try and tidy up / go into more detail later:

Round 2, Pick 32:

Ashley Cole

Might not be as useful going forward as he was a couple of years ago, he is still a great, great defender. Tough as old boots, he is a fantastic athlete who is willing to lay his body on the line for the cause. He doesn't get beat for pace or power, and he has fantastic instincts meaning that he delivers a ton of help to the heart of the defence.

A rock really, exemplified by some super performances at the business end of the Champions League this year.

Round 3, Pick 33:

Daniel Agger

"WHAT!!" I hear you cry.

Yeah, yeah there are two defenders people will rate higher for sure, but I don't want them and this beast won't be around when I next get a chance to take him.

He's just enjoyed his most impressive season, and has turned into one of Liverpool's most important players who's absence costs the team dearly. He's fast, good in the air, tough in the tackle but - most importantly - has developed a real air of confidence and swagger from the back. He is very comfortable with the ball, and is capable of striding out from the back with possession and starting attacks.

Team:

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Ashley Cole
    Daniel Agger

my next pick is Mats Hummels

look at him he's so cool
    tumblr_ldj78iJ6iU1qd9zauo1_500.png

One of the best defenders in the world right now , he's been key to Dortmund success over the last few years .

My third pick goes to the best player in Spain outside of Real/Barca last season, being Santi Cazorla. Can play on either flank or in the centre which could help later on.

Santi+Cazorla+Spain+v+Scotland+EURO+2012+Qualifier+NJ2__njP1Xvl.jpg

Mt third pick is Juan Mata.

Pic and write up later

Xavi, Muller, Mata

Over the past few seasons, nani has developed into one of the best wingers in world football. 8 Goals and 10 assists in 28 games in the season just gone and 14 assists and 9 goals the season before. 12 goals in his 52 appearances for Portugal.

cristiano-ronaldo-451-nani-dribbling-two-defenders-in-poland-0-0-portugal-2012.jpg

• Advertisement

My third pick, 38th overall is Sergio Ramos.

article-0-018E07C700000578-877_468x389.jpg

Big Serge is a powerhouse. Can play at the highest level at either right-back or in the centre of defence, as he proved by being an integral part of Spain's Euro and World Cup winning squads and Real Madrid's recent La Liga success. Where will he feature in my team you ask? Mind your own god damn business. A big physical presence, a ferocious tackler and a genuine goal threat from set pieces, I am delighted to take Sergio Ramos as my first defensive pick.

My team so far: Xabi Alonso, Mario Gomez, Sergio Ramos.

234-Van-der-Vaart_1865228.jpg
    Rafa Van der Vaart ladies and gentlemen!
    Don't know how this man has gone unpicked for so long, considering some of the other midfielders picked. His 94 caps so far show how much of an influential presence he is to his team. He's a necessity for this Dutch team.
    A dead-ball specialist, this mans technique is top class. He also likes scoring goals. His versatility is also a huge plus, essentially being able to play anywhere from midfield up.
    I could continue to go on, but instead i'll leave you with some incredible stats:
    2000 - 05 Ajax Appearances 117 Goals 52
    2005 - 08 Hamburg Appearances 74 Goals 29
    2008 - 10 Real Madrid Appearances 58 Goals 11
    2010 - Spurs Appearances 61 Goals 24
    2001 - Netherlands Appearances 94 Goals 17
    I'd love to see his assists as well, bet they'd be crazy !!

My 3rd pick is Gerard Piqué

gerard-pique-profile.jpg
    Affectionately called 'Piquenbauer', Pique has drawn comparisons to German legend Franz Beckenbauer. Nearly always foot-perfect in defence, Pique is also invaluable in his ability to distribute passes out of the back, frequently completing incisive passes over great distances on the pitch.

A defender who had won all the major honours at 25. He is an integral part of how Barcelona and Spain play their football by playing the ball out from the back.

Rooney
    Podolski
    Pique

ToniKroosBayernMuenchenvOlympiquedeI2PLrnB1HvZl.jpg

Next pick is Toni Kroos. An extremely gifted and versatile player who has become a star for Bayern this season and played in 8 out of Germany's 10 Euro 2012 qualifiers. He's a great dribbler, has superb vision, a rasping shot and rarely misplaces a pass. Can play as a playmaker in the hole, on the wing and also has the steel to play a deep midfield role if needed as he displayed in the recent Champions League final.

Too tired to do a write up, will do tomorrow. My player is lukasz piszczek

• Advertisement

Sebastian Giovinco.

Seb-Giovinvo.jpg

A player who has had a fantastic season for Parma, with 15 goals and 11 assists in 36 league games. His performances are said to have attracted the attention of Barcelona and Manchester City.

He can play as a Second Striker, he can play out wide, or he can play as an attacking midfielder - His versatility will be invaluable.

Fernando+Llorente+Bilbao.jpg

Fernando Llorente. A devastating mix of aerial power, strength and technique. Two great feet and an ability to bring his team mates into the game. At 6'5 he is a massive threat to any defender and a good supply of crosses will surely lead to goals. He is in with a great chance of leading Spain's attack and his presence has been key for his club for many years now. Surely a matter of time before a bigger club comes knocking. Real Madrid have been said to be interested for a long time.

7 goals in 20 caps for Spain does not tell the full story as many of those have been substitute appearances and he has often been a game changer in these appearances, offering a new dimension of attack. Don't think he's just a long ball merchant though, play the ball to his feet and the results are equally impressive.

sorry in work again guys so no picture, i mightnt get a chance to post a pic as I am flying out to liverpool as soon as i finish work in the morning. If a mod was feeling very helpfull they could add one for me :D please!!!!!

My easiest pick yet is Germany's 1st choice CB and incedently my first choice CB so to get him in round 3 is amazing.

Bayern Munichs, Holger Badstuber

tumblr_letmseYkVD1qcm14j.jpg

Well the above pick made my next choice a little bit easier and although rd2 draftee Mats Hummels may have something to say about starting in euro 2012 my next pick might just partner the above in CB for Germany. He is the captain of Shalke and shows that like with the Spanish CMs there is plenty of quality in the squads of the big teams... Benedict Hoewedes

fh2012_ger_benedikt_hoewedes.jpg

Team BH

Wesley Sneijder
    Daniele De Rossi
    Benedikt Howedes

Round 3, Pick 3

Named after a popular internet picture: Mario Götze.
    The fastest player in the tournament (made that up), this two footed (didn't make that up) player is an attacking midfielder who can play position behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1 or on the wing.

He has an annoying face:
    250px-Mario_G%C3%B6tze,_Germany_national_football_team_(06).jpg

Here he is scoring a classy goal, he can score too you know.

Will link up well with the rest of the team.

Team so far:

Andrew Carroll
    Luka Modric
    Mario Götze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Round 3 Pick 3

Pepe
    A theatrical character but still a really solid centre back.

pepe_portugal-2012-top-wallpaper.jpg

Round 4 Pick 4

My pick for the first wildcard round is Paul Scholes, He may be old but still passes the ball
    like a boss, his strikes from outside the box can be devastating.

Paul-Scholes-of-Mancheste-005.jpg

Round 4, Pick 4

Johan Cruyff

As a Dutch international, Cruyff played 48 matches, scoring 33 goals. The national team never lost a match in which Cruyff scored.
    He won the Ballon d'Or three times, in 1971, 1973 and 1974, which is a jointly held record.

In 1999, Cruyff was voted European Player of the Century in an election held by the IFFHS, and came second behind Pelé in their World Player of the Century poll.

He was named as the greatest football player of all time by the Bleacher Report for the combination of his skill and his revolutionary application of Rinus Michels's total football to the sport.

The sports writer David Miller believed Cruyff superior to any previous player in his ability to extract the most from others.

A fantastic addition to my merry band of heros, he will be the glue that binds them.

neddencruyffturn1.gif

Team so far:

Andrew Carroll
    Luka Modric
    Mario Götze
    Johan Cruyff

O Andy you lovable rouge, you took my planned pick and my total football 2012 concept with him and Sneijder tearing up AM from me. So who could I replace the great Johan Cryuff with hmm, why not the man I assumed would have been the no.1 pick in this.

one of only four players to have been FIFA World Player of the Year three or more times, Ballon d'Or winner, World cup winner & European championship winner...his accolades go on and on....The current Real Madrid Director of Football... the great Zinedine Zidane

Zidane_headbutt.jpg

and whynot a youtube with Coldplay playing over it, as was the style at the time

Wesley Sneijder
    Daniele De Rossi
    Benedikt Howedes
    Zinedine Zidane

my next pick is a hero of zidane

He more or less singlehandly won the euros for france

Michel Platini
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    michel_platini.jpg
    Say what you like about Michel Platini now, in his prime he was one of the most gifted players to have stepped out onto a football field. His passing, shooting, and dead-ball skills were among the greatest the game has ever seen.

These skills helped the French talisman to captain his country to two semi-final appearances at two different World Cups, in 1982 and 1986, but his zenith came at the 1984 European Championships.

Platini scored nine goals, including two perfect hat-tricks, and dominated all five games to help Les Bleus to their first international trophy. Individually, Platini was named the Player of the Tournament and the top scorer, showcasing his dominance.

The three time Ballon d'Or winner hasn't endeared himself to football fans since his retirement, but one should not forget the mastery of Platini the player.

3134hp2.jpg

It is indeed Der Kaiser. Franz Beckenbauer. Seen by many as the greatest German footballer who ever lived and arguably the most complete and well rounded footballer ever. Style, dominance, leadership, limitless ability and versatility, the pioneer of the libero is a complete non-decision for me. 2 time Ballon d'Or winner, World cup winner, European championship winner, over 100 caps for Germany. A ridiculous 60 goals in 434 games(from defence) for his club, Bayern Munich, with whom he won 4 league titles and 3 European titles in a row. Expect to see this titan striding forward through many an opposition defence as well as sweeping up attack after attack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement