Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Picks Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Apologies to all for my earlier pick, I led the thread on an unnecessary merry-go-round and accept I was wrong.

bobby_charlton449.jpg

Bobby Charlton.

No write up. He's good, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

My player is Franco Baresi. I desperately need a CB and there are very few who can be argued as being better than Baresi. Having played for Milan for an incredible 20 years and won as much as he did (3 European Cups, 6 Serie A's and don't forget, a world cup)

BOOM!

baresi_02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

maldini.jpg

Needed a defender myself. Probably the best left back of all time and also a great CB, Paolo Maldini. Played at the highest level for 25 seasons winning 5 European cups and 7 Serie A titles along with many more trophies. 126 caps for the national side and a Milan icon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

my fourth pick is Marcel Desailly

Will do a write up later.

Marcel%20Desailly-m144.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

1148571812_extras_albumes_0.jpg
    Mother of god, how has nobody picked this man already: Gerd Muller ! a.k.a. Der Bomber
    One of the most prolific goal-scorers of all time, he is 8th on the all-time international goal-scorers list, despite having played fewer matches than anyone in the top 15. His personal honours include:
    As I'm still young, I'd never actually seen this man play properly, but then having seen the programme: "Football's Greatest" I realized I needed to see more.
    This man is the opposite physically of what someone might say a typical forward should be. He was not big, but short and maybe a little chubby. He didn't have lightening pace either.
    But he didn't need these. Instead he was an out-and-out poacher, who knew how to create space for himself and who had a great arieal ability. He has national records of 68 goals in 62 international appearances, 365 goals in 427 Bundesliga games and the international record of 66 goals in 74 European Club games.

1963 - 64 1861 Nordlingen 31 Appearances 51 Goals
    1964 - 79 Bayern Munich 453 Appearances 398 Goals
    1979 - 81 Fort Lauderdale Strikers 71 Appearances 38 Goals

In short: The striker every manager wants!
    and I have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

As a proxy for Mikeyt086, I select Marco Van Basten:

Marco-Van-Basten-Volley-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

My Forth pick is Alessandro Nesta

Alessandro%20Nesta%20(5).jpg

Considered by many as one of the best centre backs to have ever played the game, he is a four-time member of the annual UEFA Team of the Year. Even at the age of 36 he was brilliant against messi and co. in this seasons champions league. One of the best defenders I have had the privilege of laying my eyes on.

Here are some of his Individual awards:
    Serie A Young Footballer of the Year: 1998
    UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament: 2000
    FIFPro World XI: 2005, 2007
    Serie A Defender of the Year: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
    UEFA Club Football Awards Best Defender: 2003
    FIFA 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My legend is Michael Laudrup

imgmichael%20laudrup4.jpg

X

Xavi
    Laudrup

----Muller
    Mata----
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I don't think he's ever excelled at a European Championships(not that I'd have seen it anyway) but seeing as this is about legends who have appeared in the tournament but are judged in their prime, I think this is good.

Described by Alex Ferguson as "the best defender I have ever seen" and "the best defender in the history of the game" by Franz Beckenbauer, he played in Euro 68 which qualifies him, obviously though he's most remembered for captaining England to their only world cup win, I pick Bobby Moore, who, I think, is the best defender available, and I need a defender.

Bobby-Moore-007.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

My pick captained his country to a World Cup and European championship wins . He also won 2 champions league during his career And numerous other honours .

Didier Deschamps
    a9d74a74.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Round 4:

Gheorghe Hagi

1109-232903-gicahagi12.jpg

Oh, there's magic in them there boots gentlemen. A sweet left boot and peerless technique allied to the sharpest football brain you'll ever see - Hagi was a god.

Round 5:

Sami Khedira

31539.jpg

A good piece for Real and Germany, Khedira is brilliant at winning the ball back and providing a strong athletic presence in the middle of the park.

Team:

Ashley Cole
    Daniel Agger
    Sami Khedira
    Gheorghe Hagi
    Cristiano Ronaldo

My next pick is Jordi Alba

Comfortable in defence and on the wing .

c2157112.jpg

To bring some balance to my midfield, my next pick is Frenc defensive midfielder Yann M'Villa. He has all the attributes expected of a good defensive midfielder, strength, speed, tackling, workrate and can also play a bit too.

yann-m-vila_12043_w250.jpg

Completing my attacking 5 is Robert Lewandowski

200px-Robert_Lewandowski_2011.jpg

X

Xavi
    Laudrup

----Muller
    Mata----
    Lewandowski

As a proxy for IncognitoMan I select Olivier Giroud

olivier-giroud-montpellier-arsenal-target.jpg

• Advertisement

As a proxy for Mikey I select Petr Cech

cech_415x275.jpg

Sorry guys, no time for write up:
    I pick Fabio Coentrao

My next pick is Italy and Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio

profile%2BClaudio%2BMarchisio1.jpg

PedroRodriguezFCBarcelonavAthleticBilbaoRQDJceWMlGnl.jpg

My next pick is Barcelona wing forward Pedro. His form this season had been disrupted by injury and new competition for places however he has been getting back to his best towards the end of the season with 6 goals and 2 assists in his last 8 starts, including 2 goals in the Copa del Rey final against Bilbao where he put in a magnificent performance. Has 58 goals and 17 assists in total over the last 3 seasons for Barca.

van Persie
    X
    Pedro

Kroos

Martinez
    X

X
    Maldini
    X
    X
    X

Jesus I wanted Marchisio :mad:

My pick is Christian Eriksen. 159125.jpg

A Highly talented and creative midfielder, Eriksen will no doubt be a bigger star in the future than what he is now.

He has clocked up 34 assists in 2 seasons with Ajax, and is now Denmark's key player for the Euros. He is only 20.

• Advertisement

One of the standout defenders in the Premier League this season, and a player who should be a certain starter for France, Laurent Koscielny has established himself as one of the most important members of Arsenals squad.

Although the defense sometimes attracts criticism, it would be 10 times worse without the solid Koscielny who stood out as one of the top defenders in the PL this year.

The first addition to my back four.

108920hp2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

125019hp2.jpg

Antonio Di Natale. The man who has carried Udinese almost single handily for many years now. A living legend at the club, he has pace, trickery and is a lethal finisher with both feet and a danger from free kicks. Top scorer in Serie A in 2010, 2011 with 29 and 28 goals. He managed 23 this season along with 8 assists. He'll take up the left sided spot in my attack. Though this is very preliminary.

abCLl3UaS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Stone drunk and cant temembet who wad my next pick so gona go with the player whi's mane I can spell ashley young

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

^i miss the June bank holiday

I'll add a pic when I finish work but I want all the attacking midfielders! So here's a man (especially having seen lamps go in rd2) I'd expected to be gone now if only cos it's Liverpool & England captain, Steven Gerrard!
    4F9.jpg?8982
    gerrard_2236850b.jpg

Wesley Sneijder
    Daniele de Rossi
    Benedickt Howedes
    Zinedine Zidane
    Steven Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Round 5, Pick 5.

England's Brave John Terry.

This guy might be a terrible human but there is no way he should still be available.
    Simply put, he is the best center back of his generation, a team player and a man that demands the best out of those around him.

He can also pop up with goals from set pieces.

Here is a picture of JT lifting the Champions League trophy
    U47P5029T2D468880F24DT20120520115928.jpg

And another nice picture of him.
    JT.jpg

Team so far:

Andrew Carroll
    Luka Modric
    Mario Götze
    Johan Cruyff
    John Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Round 5 Pick 5

Having a gamble here with Jakub Błaszczykowski

Round 6 Pick 6

My 6th pick will be Per Mertesacker,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Round 6, Pick 6

Porto's midfield maestro - João Moutinho.

João Moutinho is the man who will partner Luka Modric. Ever present in the heart of the Porto team. He will add bite, he is strong and creative and another leader.

Chelsea were interested in him last summer but were unable to prize him away from Porto.

News%25253A%252520Joao%252520Moutinho%252520flattered%252520by%252520Chelsea%252520interest%252520but%252520not%252520thinking%252520of%252520Porto%252520exit.jpg

joaomoutinho3.jpg

Team so far:

Andrew Carroll
    Luka Modric
    Mario Götze
    Johan Cruyff
    John Terry
    João Moutinho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As much as people may questionthis lad I do believe CF is one area where real quality will be hard to find as the rounds go on whilst in CD or GK for example there should still be quality for another rd or 2 (I hope) so with that in mind I draft a lad who has won the last WC, EC & ECL....

Fernando Torres!

Torres-fernando-torres-15004603-650-975.jpg

Wesley Sneijder
    Daniele de Rossi
    Benedickt Howedes
    Zinedine Zidane
    Steven Gerrard
    Fernando Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

time to bite the bullet and go with a gk who is worldclass and a great pick for round 6 considering some on the keepers went in the first couple of rounds

Gianluigi Buffon

gianluigibuffon02.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

x610.jpg

Marco Reus. Another in a seemingly endless conveyor belt of young German superstars. He had a very strong 10/11 campaign with Mönchengladbach, however he stepped up and had a truly excellent 11/12 campaign, with 18 goals and 9 assists. He's been so good he's knocking on the door of the national side(and will play some part in the Euros no doubt) and convinced Dortmund he's a worthy replacement for Kagawa, who have shelled out 18m for him. Quick, creative, great passer and has a lethal long shot, he is an excellent addition to my side.

• Advertisement

Scott Parker.

Not only is he a triffic lad he is also top top guy.

Brings a bit of aggression, and will look after the defending side of things. Had a fantastic season which slowed down slightly at the end due to fatigue, but he was the player that provided the platform for the liked of Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart.

Included in the PFA team of the year 2011-2012 and was the Football Writers Association player of the year in 2011.

article-2130539-129D0548000005DC-929_468x331.jpg

As Blatter's proxy, I pick Mario Balotelli.

My pick is Nigel De Jong.

Time to add some steel to my team. My next pick is Dutch defensiver midfielder Mark Van Bommel.

van-bommel_1673703c.jpg

1763553436_small.jpg
    Sorry for the delay guys.

My next pick is Newcastle talisman: Hatem Ben Arfa.

Enjoyed a sparkling season this year with Newcastle and has been a huge revelation since he's joined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My 6th round pick is also a Frenchman. I needs me a left back, and in all honesty, Gael Clichy proved this season that he is one of the highest quality.

article-2149840-134A4263000005DC-323_306x423.jpg

The idea that Patrice Evra might start ahead of him is a joke to be honest. Evra has been poor this year whereas Clichy has had the best season of his career, playing a big role in City's first title win.

He can also do this:
    clichy-pass-for-aguero-o.gif

I think Clichy is better than some of the left backs already picked, delighted to grab him this late.

This might be a bit of a shock to some as he spent a lot of the past season out injured but Ibrahim Afellay has the talent and will be a very important member of the dutch side this month as they look to achieve european glory

i.aspx?i=epa%2Fsoccer%2F2012-06%2F2012-06-02%2F2012-06-02-00000103246876.jpg

My next pick is Gregory Van der Wiel

Gregory_van_der_Wie_939807a.jpg

X

X
    X
    VD Wiel
    X
    X

Xavi----Laudrup

----Muller
    Mata----
    Lewandowski

Balls, a lot of my picks for one position disappeared there, so what I'm gonna do is go back to the drawing board and while I think pick a right back. He's very under rated defensively IMO, but obviously his main strengths are his footballing ability and pace/power getting forward, Glen Johnson.

814763-13917742-640-360.jpg

Iniesta, Nasri, Cazorla, Moore, M'Villa, Johnson

• Advertisement

My next pick is Yohan Cabaye

Cabaye580.jpg

Solid defensively but not afraid to get forward and play the killer pass as we have seen at Newcastle a lot this season . Very underrated imo and he will shine at Euros with France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Round 6:

Andrea Barzagli, Italy

Andrea-Barzagli-Italy-vs-Northern-Ireland_2772554.jpg

Since his return to Juventus, Barzagli has begun to fulfil the promise he showed years ago at Palermo. He has just enjoyed what was arguably his finest season as a professional, at the heart of a Juventus side that went unbeaten while conceding a mere 20 goals. His rejuvenation has been identified by Prandelli and he will be a key part of their plans when things get started this weekend.

Barzagli should prove a very durable partner for the flashier Daniel Agger. He is positionally solid and strong in the tackle. It might seem like he doesn't do a whole lot, but that is because he is usually in the right place to snuff out danger early and win the ball without going to ground. Another in the long line of fine Italian center halves.

Round 7:

Álvaro Arbeloa, Spain

250px-Arbeloa2012.jpg

Solid. Since 2008, Arbeloa has spent his time plying his trade for Liverpool when they were challengers / Real Madrid as they've gradually got on par with Barcelona / Spain as they have conquered the world. Is he the best right back you've ever seen? No. Has he looked out of place on a succession of great teams? No. He does his job well, minimum of fuss.

XX

Arbeloa
    Barzagli
    Agger
    Cole

Khedira

XX

Ronaldo
    Hagi
    XX

XX

That's a pretty good back four and, with Khedira protecting them, I think I'll be difficult to score against.

And man, am I going to score goals. Oh the goals I will score. You'll see...

My next Pick is Jérôme Boateng

Will do Write up in the morning

Need a striker, I think he's the best one left(excluding Round 9), coming off a decent season in La Liga, Alvaro Negredo.

Injury-rules-out-Alvaro-Negredo-from-Spains-friendly-with-Venezuela-132973.jpg

My 7th pick is Leighton Baines

Leighton%20Baines_633568237677187500.jpg

Difficult choice, but he's a quality player, unlucky to be behind Ashley Cole in the pecking order. I want both my full backs to push high up the pitch and overlap my tucked-in wide players, and few do that better than Baines, and when he does get forward his final ball is second to none.

Importantly, he completes my team from an attacking perspective.

X

X
    X

Van der Wiel
    X
    Baines

Xavi
    Laudrup

Muller
    Mata

Lewandowski

Mathieu Debuchy the french right-back who is solid defensively and is not shy about joining the attack when the time calls for it.

debuchy_1517954a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My 7th pick is Jesus Navas.

Jesus-Navas-at-World-Cup-spain-national-football-team-13211016-406-610.jpg?1339035741534

Jesus! I'm surprised someone didn't snap up Sevilla's star man before now. Not only was he voted "Most Spanish-Looking Man Alive" in 2010*, but the boy can play! Lightning quick, a good passer and a goal threat, Navas always delivers when called upon for the national team, and is my 3rd and final Spanish player.

*not actually true

220215.jpgtcdadmin.display_image?p_image_sr_no=82.87726660424083321878662402625453015415
    Darjio Srna.
    Picked because he's a dead ringer for my Biochem lecturer, this man has great versitility, excellent technique, solid defending and a keen eye for goal.
    IMO, a nice pick for this stage considering who I need for what positions

My next pick is Spanish defender Raúl Albiol.

258895525-soccer-uefa-european-championship-2008-group-d-greece-v-spain.jpg

1441.jpg

My next pick is Borussia Dortmund's first choice left back Marcel Schmelzer, a player who has been important in their back to back Bundesliga victories. He's reliable defensively and a very effective full back going forward. He will add good width down the left hand side.

Yaroslav Rakitskiy

Was very impressed with this guy during the Champions League. Shakhtar's star man this year, and one of the Ukraine's best hopes of causing an upset in the group stages. Can play across the back four and as a holding midfielder.

1553970_w2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement