Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Picks Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Christian%20Maggio.jpg

Christian Maggio. Cavani, Lavezzi and Hamsik often get the credit for Napoli's recent rise, however Maggio is an important part of the side. Known as 'Superbike' for his electric pace and limitless stamina, he offers explosive pace and width on the right hand side, he's often an important outlet on the counter attack for Napoli. He has been Italy's first choice right back for some time now, and his defensive qualities have improved a lot. He's also good in the air and will be very useful attacking and defending at set pieces.

This clip is a great example of his speed and the threat he offers on the attack.

abCNdFNakC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

another rb

portugal and recent velencia signing

João Pereira

sorry at work at moment so no pic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I got this guy in the last draft and Ive got him again now, Swedens MartinOlsson to fill my LB/LWB slot.

Martin-Olsson-Blackburn-Rovers-Profile_2651886.jpg

Wesley Sneijder
    Daniele de Rossi
    Benedickt Howedes
    Zinedine Zidane
    Steven Gerrard
    Fernando Torres
    Martin Olsson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Joe Hart.

I am delighted to be getting this guy at this stage. Winner of the golden glove this season with 21 clean sheet in the league, he is in top form.
    A commanding goalkeeper.

Joe-Hart.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My next pick shall be Aleksandr Anyukov

Anyukov2008.png

Round 8

My pick for Round 8 is Antonio Cassano .

260px-Antonio_Cassano.jpg

Yuri Zhirkov. A pacey solid left back. He is also comfortable at left midfield having played there for a spell. Excellent at getting forward, overlapping, linking up and generally causing trouble for defences when he gets forward. He will get some goals in this team.

"A midfielder with a host of talents and just one shortcoming: he can’t sing," that’s how Chelsea ex-manager Carlo Ancelotti describes his former charge Yury Zhirkov.

200px-Yuri_Zhirkov_Anzhi_2011.jpg

Current French no.1 & Captain - Hugo Lloris

2633286840_1.jpg

Wesley Sneijder
    Daniele de Rossi
    Benedickt Howedes
    Zinedine Zidane
    Steven Gerrard
    Fernando Torres
    Martin Olsson
    Hugo Lloris

in work again

my next choice is the perfect cb partner for badstuber and both will compliment eachother nicely

Simon Kjær

Joleon-Lescott-England-vs-Belgium_2775139.jpg

Sporting possibly the biggest forehead in the known universe, Joleon Lescott's contribution to Man City's title win should not be overlooked.

City's Premier League win ratio with Vincent Kompany was 74%, and without him 71%, while the ratio with Lescott was 81%, without was 43%.

He has established himself in a title winning side and has proven to be a solid and dependable defender, who I am happy to include in my side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Ignazio Abate.

One of the most transformed players of recent years, to the extent that he will be featured on an upcoming episode of Operation Transformation on RTE.

About 3 years ago, Milan fans closed their eyes every time a winger ran at Abate. However after plenty of work with the coaches at Milan, he has improved his positioning and his anticipation tenfold. Added to his exceptional pace, he is a very solid wing back, and has had a fine season this term.

Ignazio-Abate.jpg

GK
    Rakitskiy
    Koscielny
    DF
    Abate
    Parker
    Giovinco
    Fabregas
    Charlton
    Ribery
    ST

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

ACFFiorentinavAtalantaBCSerielUXqntxHWacl.jpg

Milan's new signing Riccardo Montolivo. Extremely comfortable and skilful on the ball, he's a highly creative central midfielder. Delighted to get him this late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

For the day that's in it. Here's the first Irish pick in the draft.

Aiden McGeady,

Aiden+Mcgeady+Republic+Ireland+v+Slovakia+ivlgu1G4vRFl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Tymoschuk.jpg

Need somebody to partner my main man Bastien in the middle and who better than his Bayern team-mate Anatoliy Tymoshchuk.

Classy defensive midfielder with a dangerous strike from distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My Round 8 pick is Italian central defender Leonardo Bonucci.

Leonardo%2BBonucci_1.jpg

A big strong traditional Italian centre back, Bonucci has had a great season alongside Chiellini for both Juventus and Italy, helping the Old Lady to the Scudetto this year.

Fantastico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

from wiki: He is often present in the goal area, often trying shots from outside the box, making insertions or dangerous assists for his teammates.

142733hp2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My 8th pick is Bruno Alves

Portugal+v+Albania+FIFA2010+World+Cup+Qualifier+0dZnTy7NpZUl.jpg

X

VD Wiel
    Alves
    X
    Baines

X

Laudrup---Xavi

Muller
    Mata

Lewandowski

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Going to take a bit of a gamble on my next pick, I've got three essentially playmakers in my midfield so I think I need some pace and directness, I've never seen him play, but through a bit of research I found this article and decided he's exactly what I need in attack. Ran most of the pitch and scored against Germany recently.

Yevhen Konoplyanka

Yevhen-Konoplyanka-Ukraine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Alan Dzagoev

Seems like hes been around forever but hes only 21 . Russia joint top goal scorer in the Qualifiers and has 2 goals already in the euros .

000600bb-642.jpg

Leaves me with this
    x
    Boateng Hummels X Alba
    Deschamps Cabaye
    Dzeagov Ozil X
    Huntelaar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Round 8:

Tomáš Rosický, Czech Republic

125540-czech-republic-captain-tomas-rosicky.jpg

One of the great 'what might have been' careers, Rosický spent most of last season fit and in form, and playing as well as at any point during his time at Arsenal. Technically gifted with a great range of passing, Rosický will be tasked with keeping things ticking over in my team. I need someone who is comfortable on it and can receive the ball from Khedira / Defenders and get it to my arsenal of awesomeness further up the pitch.

Round 9

Gareth Bale, Wales

Cornelius.jpg

Let me get this straight. I don't like Gareth Bale:

BaleDive.gif

If his name was Balinho I reckon the English media wouldn't be anywhere near as fond of him as they are. However, he is undeniably decent at football.

Bale will nominally start on the left here, but I would expect him to be able to interlink and switch with Hagi and Ronaldo. Arbeloa and Cole will provide a solid base behind him on either flank, so he is free to do what he does best.

Team:

Arbeloa
    Barzagli
    Agger
    Cole

Khedira

Rosický

Ronaldo
    Hagi
    Bale

I need a goalkeeper and a striker...

• Advertisement

Vincent Kompany .

Been one of the best centre halves over the last year or 2 . Since they've got their money he's been city best signing IMO .

31596e26.jpg

Best defender in the world before his injury, Nemanja Vidic. Think he and Moore make a solid pairing, Vidic will win everything and Moore will sweep in behind.

nemanja_vidic_1527339c.jpg

Ok . . .

This was a very difficult choice, not taken lightly.

I had it down to three players. One a centre-back. One a defensive midfielder. But I'm trying something a little different.

Looking at the strength of other defenses, particularly Lloyd's and Coletrickle's, I know I'm not going to be able to compete with them.

Simply put, I could pick the best CB available or the best DM available and it would make my team better defensively, but I don't think it would give me the best team in the draft, and I don't think it would be enough to win.

So my 9th pick is Eden Hazard.

eden-hazard-2.jpg

GK

VD Wiel----Alves
    X
    Baines

Xavi

Laudrup

Muller

Mata
    Hazard-
    Lewandowski

I figure there's no point in doing this and coming fifth. And it's fun, so I'm going to try and make it work.

I know people will argue he is injured and wasn't even in the best of form before his injury but in my opinion he is one of the worlds best. A classy forward who has done it in the euros, world cup and champs league. Missed by Barcelona this year when the played chelsea. 51 goals for spain. Always good for a goal

DavidVilla_Spain_wallpaper.jpg

My 9th pick is Thomas Vermaelen

tumblr_l60uknvpcy1qc7fmb.jpg

The Verminator. Thomas the Tank Engine. Big Verm. Vermaelen has established himself as one of the best defenders in the Premier League and in Europe. Quick, strong, decisive, good on the ball and another genuine goal threat, the Arsenal centre back is a top player, there were a number of good centre backs for me to select, but Tommy ticked all the boxes for what my team needs.

21879566.jpg

Neven+Subotic-3.jpg

Neven Subotic.

Probably best center-back for this draft apart from Kompany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

adil-rami.jpg

One of the hottest properties amongst centre backs and rumoured to be going to a host of big clubs after the euros Adil Rami is my 7th round pick. He is a footballing centre back and a perfect partner for Franco Baresi.

For the 8th pick in this draft the Eagle/Floyd team takes Maarten Stekelenberg. I think he is one of the best keepers in the world and I'm intent on building a strong defense given the attacking talent available in this draft.

102591hp2.jpg

Team so far...

Stekelenberg
    Piszczek
    Rami
    Baresi
    ?
    de Jong
    Eriksen
    ?
    Silva
    Benzema

My next pick is Barcelona captain Carles Puyol. An exceptional leader and a great foil for Maldini. Also a very good right back.

CARLES_PUYOL.jpg

R. van Persie
    M. Balotelli
    Pedro R.

T. Kroos

R. Montolivo
    J. Martinez

M. Schmelzer----P.Maldini
    C. Puyol
    X
    X

Marek Hamsik is my next pick. One of the best attacking midfielders in football and he completes my front four.
    marek.jpg

Stekelenberg
    Piszczek
    Rami
    Baresi
    ?
    de Jong
    Eriksen
    Hamsik
    Silva
    Benzema

Had either a defender or a midfielder in my mind. But I figure my defense is a bit weaker at the moment and I need a good centre back partnership.

For that reason, I choose Branislav Ivanovic.

218901.jpg

GK
    Rakitskiy---Koscielny---Ivanovic----Abate
    Parker

Fabregas--Charlton
    Ribery
    Giovinco
    ST

• Advertisement

To finish off my attack I pick Xherdan Shaqiri

Xherdan_Shaqiri.jpg

4O5L

Gokhan Inler. So awesome that he wore a lion mask when he joined Napoli for a bargain 12m after helping Udinese finish in 4th place. He's a very under-rated cog in the Napoli counter attacking machine, breaking up attack after attack and using his excellent range of passing to start said counter attacks. He also has a mean shot and he'll run, chase and close down all day long.

abCOJZDaiK.jpg

thiagoi.jpg

my next pick is spain and barcelona midfielder Thiago

abCOKbCami.jpg
    Make your football formation with this11.com

had earmarked this rd for a CB and even ignored Bazagli/Klaer in the past to do so but now... im going for a CM and one im surprised isnt gone yet, for instance he woulda fit in nicely instead of redzers last pick above imo.

Jack Wilshere

WilshereGunnerblogBody.png

................................................Fernando Torres

.......................Zinedine Zidane...Wesley Sneijder...Steven Gerrard

................................Jack Wilshere
    ............................................................Daniele de Rossi

Martin Olsson.......Benedickt Howedes............CB......................RB

...............................................Hugo Lloris

*formation subject to change.

Stevan Jovetic

He's two-footed, he's skillful, technically excellent and a great finisher. He takes people on and beats them. Great passing, great crossing, all around top bloke.

He scored 14 goals in 27 appearances last season as Fiorentina's top goalscorer. He can play as a second striker or an attacking mid.

He'll be drifting around my sublime front four, interchanging with Cryuff and Gotze and linking up with our Andy too.
    He's also not afraid to get stuck in.

stevan-jovetic-photo-f2ae9.jpg

He is utterly fearless and I don't see a limit to his potential. Is he the new Savicevic? No, he can be even better. He reminds me of johan Cruyff" Former Montenegro boss Dejan Savicevic on comparisons between himself and Jovetic in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My next pick shall be Danny

200px-MiguelDanny.jpg

My pick for round 10 is Eugen Polanski

200px-Eugen_Polanski.jpg

Rolando

240px-Rolando_%E2%80%93_Portugal_vs._Argentina,_9th_February_2011.jpg

Holland and Everton's John Heitinga

6a013486c75292970c0133f3a47798970b-500pi

................................................Fernando Torres

.......................Zinedine Zidane...Wesley Sneijder...Steven Gerrard

................................Jack Wilshere
    ............................................................Daniele de Rossi

Martin Olsson......Benedickt Howedes.........John Heitinga......................RB

...............................................Hugo Lloris

*formation subject to change

niko jelevic

jelj.jpg

Phil-Jagielka_1686627c.jpg

Phil Jagielka. A good reader of the game, strong, good in the air and brave as a lion, he's been one of the stalwart defenders in the EPL for many years now. A leader for Everton and my 3rd and final centre half.

abCO0g1al3.jpg

• Advertisement

To lead the line, one of my favourite players. Can pop up with a moment of magic, is great at the head of a 4-3-3 as he closes down more than most strikers in football. Fantastic work rate, can hold it up very nicely too. Also quite good in the air, already a fantastic forward and I have no doubt he will go on to be one of the best in the world.

image-1-for-sport-pics-21-01-12-gallery-10800000.jpg

I'm going with a guy who has seriously impressed me in this tournament with this pick. He has had some career, or life maybe, and has been up and down and back up and back down again. Still in this tournament to date I think he has been one of the best players. Roman Shirokov is who I speak of, apparently a bit of a mad dude off the pitch but I'll take him for what he can do on it.
    Roman-Shirokov-bulge-500x331.jpg

Stekelenberg
    Piszczek
    Rami
    Baresi
    ?
    de Jong
    Shirokov
    Eriksen
    Hamsik
    Silva
    Benzema

My next pick is Gary Cahill, who played a vital role in Chelsea's CL win.

Gary-Cahill-England-Chelsea.jpg

R. van Persie
    M. Balotelli
    Pedro R.

T. Kroos

R. Montolivo

J. Martinez

M. Schmelzer---P. Maldini
    G. Cahill
    C. Puyol
    X

To tie up the left back position I pick Wilfred Bouma

wilfred-bouma.jpg

Vaclav-Pilar-007.jpg

I needed a winger. I wanted one who not could only score goals and create them, I wanted someone who works hard for the team.

And Vaclav Pilar certainly ticks all these boxes.

In excellent form this season, the future Wolfsburg man is an excellent pick at this stage of the draft, one that I had earmarked since the beginning of the round 9.
    Delighted and surprised to get my man!

My next pick is Marseille and France winger Mathieu Valbuena.

Mathieu-Valbuena-France-vs-Iceland_2773018.jpg

A tricky customer, Valbuena creates bags of chances for whatever team he plays in. A player with control so good he could take down a ball shot out of a cannon, he is also a speed demon and gives his opposing fullbacks constant headaches.

Cech
    S.Ramos--Bonucci--Vermaelen--Clichy
    X.Alsono--XXXXX
    J.Navas
    Valbuena
    Van Basten--Gomez

My 10th pick is a goalkeeper well-versed in playing the type of football I'll want my team to play.

Off the back of a great season with Swansea, it's Michel Vorm

vorm.jpg

Great shot-stopper, great distribution. Exactly what I need.

Vorm

VD Wiel---Alves
    X
    Baines

Xavi
    Laudrup

----Mata
    Muller
    Hazard---

Lewandowski

My 10th pick is Aleksei Berezutski

Comfortable at centre and left back. A solid and versatile defender
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJnxuivOAdeJ885W1WjBgs5wW31-WG9oBenSs7gZm7szpvnCSQ

My next pick is a goalkeeper, and I'm going with Italian back up keeper Salvatore Sirigu. I'm not gonna lie, never seen him play, but on reputation alone I think he's the best keeper available. Seemingly he was arguably the best keeper in Ligue 1 last season and has been PSG's best signing so he's at least solid enough, which is good enough when you're in the late rounds.

Salvatore-Sirigu.jpg

• Advertisement

Andrei Arshavin
    arshavin.jpg

Russian Captain . Might not have had a great time at Arsenal but on the international scene he is a different player .

Advertisement