Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with fostering

• 27-05-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I have been asked to foster a dog, I am happy to take him no problem, however the dog is not neutered, and they have asked me to see if I can get the dog neutered under the dogs trust scheme, I find this a little bit wierd, I don't feel particularly comfortable with this if I am honest as they are a rescue and while I understand that they are under massive pressure the dogs trust scheme is for individuals that cannot afford to pay for this themselves, can anyone advise me on what to do, half thinking about telling them I won't be taking the dog now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

That's an odd one alright, I've never heard personally heard of a rescue asking a fosterer to get the dog neutered themselves, especially under the scheme which is really for people on SW or OAP or similar, without wanting to be too personal, are you in receipt of any benefit which would prompt them to ask you to do this? Is it a reputable rescue that you've worked with or had experience with before?

To be honest, if I were you I would tell them you weren't comfortable doing this, could you leave the dog un-neutered or would that cause probs with dogs you already have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd walk away and find a different rescue to assist with fostering, one that isnt looking for me to partake in some dodgy underhand practice and taking advantage of a different charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have been asked to foster a dog, I am happy to take him no problem, however the dog is not neutered, and they have asked me to see if I can get the dog neutered under the dogs trust scheme, I find this a little bit wierd, I don't feel particularly comfortable with this if I am honest as they are a rescue and while I understand that they are under massive pressure the dogs trust scheme is for individuals that cannot afford to pay for this themselves, can anyone advise me on what to do, half thinking about telling them I won't be taking the dog now.

That is so bizarre. Are fostering for a rescue or for an individual? What if down the line the dog gets sick will you be expected to pay for the vet bills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought it was very strange alright. To answer a few of your questions, they asked me if I was in receipt of the Dole or similar, I answered well I am in college as I think that's a very personal question to ask, they then proceeded to tell me the proceedure for getting a dogs trust voucher etc. Even if I take the dig which I highly doubt I will be doing at this stage I will most certainly not be doing this, I think it's very sneaky and underhanded, it makes me wonder what else they are up to.

And yes this was a rescue, it consists of a group of volunteers, they as of yet have no premises, which is why they want fosterers obviously.

I am quiet torn because I do want to help out, but I don't think I will be taking the dog, it makes me wonder if the dog is vaccinated, fleaed, wormed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys, I thought it was very strange alright. To answer a few of your questions, they asked me if I was in receipt of the Dole or similar, I answered well I am in college as I think that's a very personal question to ask, they then proceeded to tell me the proceedure for getting a dogs trust voucher etc. Even if I take the dig which I highly doubt I will be doing at this stage I will most certainly not be doing this, I think it's very sneaky and underhanded, it makes me wonder what else they are up to.

And yes this was a rescue, it consists of a group of volunteers, they as of yet have no premises, which is why they want fosterers obviously.

I am quiet torn because I do want to help out, but I don't think I will be taking the dog, it makes me wonder if the dog is vaccinated, fleaed, wormed etc.

The rescue I uses to foster for didn't flea dogs. They vaccinated and microchipped them themselves. They did provide me with wormers and paid the vet for neutering from rehoming fee. Do vets have any dogs trust vochures left? The volunteers should ring around some vets and get quotes I know my vet neuters for 3 rescues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Walk away OP, all seems a little shady. I foster dogs for my local SPCA and would never be asked to do anything like that. A proper, registered SPCA or rescue will have a deal in place with the local vet to take care of things like neutering. It shouldnt be up to the fosterer.

Advertisement