Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Current Sunflower Heights

Options
  • 27-05-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Just wondering what heights your sunflowers are at this stage. I want to get a gauge of where my sunflowers are. I have just grown six from seeds. I have them inside on a window sill in individual pots. I will plant them outside in a few weeks with supports because they are very floppy. The smallest one with two growths is 48cm (1ft 7inches) and the tallest one with just the standard one growth is 82cm (2ft 8inches).
    So how are all of you lot getting on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I planted my sunflowers out last weekend. These were a mixed batch from seed I got last year. They are about 14 inches tall so no competition at this stage! Since planting out they have taken a battering from slugs and now the dry weather is not helping. They are a mixture of types, Giant Yellow, Golden Sun and Teddy Bear (a little one?). Last year I sowed the seed directly in the ground - not very successful with only about half of them geminating. I am not having much luck with sunflowers but if this current lot do anything
    spectacular I 'll update the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm trying out a bushy variety this year - given up on the tall ones in the windy West.
    Oh, and they're about 2 inches high... the ones the cats haven't rolled on. I have even less luck with sunflowers:o

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

planetX wrote: »
    I'm trying out a bushy variety this year - given up on the tall ones in the windy West.
    Oh, and they're about 2 inches high... the ones the cats haven't rolled on. I have even less luck with sunflowers:o

Don't get me started on flipping cats. They are wrecking my place. One of them left a luminous neon green **** in one of my beds during the week whilst simultaneously digging up a rake of bulbs. There is no discouraging them with either intimidation or the various repellants on the market. None of them work. The worst of it is that they are my next door neighbours cats so one can't really say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

Bixy wrote: »
    I planted my sunflowers out last weekend. These were a mixed batch from seed I got last year. They are about 14 inches tall so no competition at this stage! Since planting out they have taken a battering from slugs and now the dry weather is not helping. They are a mixture of types, Giant Yellow, Golden Sun and Teddy Bear (a little one?). Last year I sowed the seed directly in the ground - not very successful with only about half of them geminating. I am not having much luck with sunflowers but if this current lot do anything
    spectacular I 'll update the post!

I bought mine in Lidl and the pack says that they are "Giant Flowered Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus)".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Don't get me started on flipping cats. They are wrecking my place. One of them left a luminous neon green **** in one of my beds during the week whilst simultaneously digging up a rake of bulbs. There is no discouraging them with either intimidation or the various repellants on the market. None of them work. The worst of it is that they are my next door neighbours cats so one can't really say anything.

well they're my own, and I adore them so I can't really complain:D
    I try to lure them away by planting catnip in a sunny spot down the garden. You might not want to do that... though the best repellant is to get a cat of your own;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Ok story so far. Planted seeds months ago in window sill propagator (€2.99 in Aldi). Transplanted 6 seedlings to small pots and put onto south facing window to grow. Transplanted one to bucket and two sets of two into Tesco bags for life. Last one into large pot to remain inside house. Wife wanted into pots like in picture but broke one in process so brought out inside plant. The inside plant is the taller but skinny as it is less weather beaten! Think the avg height is 16 inches.
    a71d252c.jpg

f1c939e1.jpg

a259c554.jpg

Advertisement