Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Student Grant*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

My cousin got a letter from Sligo IT saying they needed the Student contribution charged paid before he started or they wouldn't be able to let him start. I really hope NUI Maynooth are a bit more understanding! And yes, I know, it's really stupid, I actually will have no chance of getting 2 grand and to pay for accommodation, it won't happen!

Seriously?? In that case I'm screwed :eek: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You're welcome
    No the fact that your sister may also be attending a higher or further education course could actually help your application as the reckonable income limits increase by €4,980 if there are more than one of you attending a recognised course. Details: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

Am I right in saying to get the Special (Top Up) Rate of grant, the entire's household income is supposed to be below € 22,703 for last year? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

My cousin got a letter from Sligo IT saying they needed the Student contribution charged paid before he started or they wouldn't be able to let him start. I really hope NUI Maynooth are a bit more understanding! And yes, I know, it's really stupid, I actually will have no chance of getting 2 grand and to pay for accommodation, it won't happen!

I would think they are putting the frighteners on to be honest. What could happen would be that your cousin wouldn't get his student card and his registration is marked incomplete until they get the contribution. He may still be able to attend lectures etc. It's not in their best interest to not let your cousin start.
    Am I right in saying to get the Special (Top Up) Rate of grant, the entire's household income is supposed to be below € 22,703 for last year? :)

Yes :) And the family must have been receiving a social welfare payment from this list: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341503130/schedule2.pdf as part of it.
    Some social welfare payments are disregarded by SUSI for the purposes of calculating the reckonable income. Details are here on StudentFinance.ie http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9556/check-reckonable-income-limits/index.html
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Just wondering something, has anyone actually been verified by SUSI that they are entitled to the Grant? Anyone at all? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Is there anyone who hasn't heard any thing back since their online application? I submitted mine on the 26th of June and heard nothing back. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Is there anyone who hasn't heard any thing back since their online application? I submitted mine on the 26th of June and heard nothing back. Anyone else in the same boat?

I am :o

Just wondering something, has anyone actually been verified by SUSI that they are entitled to the Grant? Anyone at all? :confused:
    I am :o

You do know you can contact the SUSI helpline or via email to check on the status of your grant. Some of the Mature Students have done this and have been given an idea of when they will receive their grant pack. At least it might take some of the uncertainty out of it for you.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You do know you can contact the SUSI helpline or via email to check on the status of your grant. Some of the Mature Students have done this and have been given an idea of when they will receive their grant pack. At least it might take some of the uncertainty out of it for you.

I've actually emailed them 3 times and i've got no reply yet! :( Very discouraging, they'd probably fob me off on the phone too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I've actually emailed them 3 times and i've got no reply yet! :( Very discouraging, they'd probably fob me off on the phone too!

They're probably just busy with last minute applications coming in on top of processing documents. Everyone else is in the same boat, nobody's heard back yet. It's not as if they're being deliberately unhelpful.

leaveiton wrote: »
    They're probably just busy with last minute applications coming in on top of processing documents. Everyone else is in the same boat, nobody's heard back yet. It's not as if they're being deliberately unhelpful.

Yeah i'm aware of this but I did email them back about 2 weeks ago for the first time, they should of replied by this stage I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Yeah i'm aware of this but I did email them back about 2 weeks ago for the first time, they should of replied by this stage I think.

The amount of people emailing the same question would be phenomenal. I doubt they'll even bother replying tbh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

No offence but you've stated a couple of times you sent your documents in two weeks ago. I, along with many others have sent ours in over a month and half ago. I think it's fair to say if we're still waiting, your's isn't going to be done anytime soon..? :confused:

Avox wrote: »
    No offence but you've stated a couple of times you sent your documents in two weeks ago. I, along with many others have sent ours in over a month and half ago. I think it's fair to say if we're still waiting, your's isn't going to be done anytime soon..? :confused:

I understand this and am not taking offence, but my personal circumstances means that I will not be able to attend College this year if my Grant hasn't been awarded by the time I start, so I would like to know whether or not i'm going to be approved by the appropriate people. I'm not saying that mine should be processed before yours or anything, I was just stating a fact that I have emailed them a number of times to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I didn't hear back yet I emailed yesterday and got no reply. My mum rang they said it's a queuing system and we just have to wait until we receive the letter and they can't say how long before we'll receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

I understand this and am not taking offence, but my personal circumstances means that I will not be able to attend College this year if my Grant hasn't been awarded by the time I start, so I would like to know whether or not i'm going to be approved by the appropriate people. I'm not saying that mine should be processed before yours or anything, I was just stating a fact that I have emailed them a number of times to no avail.

I think everyone here has answered your question/s a number of times.

As far as we know ( as ordinary Joe Soaps, just like you ) Grants are processed on the basis of who had there's in first, that does NOT mean you will not get it at all, it simply means you will probably be waiting longer to actually get it awarded.

The fact that you heard back from SUSI , asking you for all your relevant documents is sign that you will most likely be awarded a Grant this term.

Depending on the college aswell, the waiver the fees based on the fact you are awaiting to hear back from the Grant office on whether or not you where successful in obtaining the grant.

Your not the only one in this situation my friend, i myself am awaiting for the grant to come through.. i applied months ago.. and sent in my documents a month ago .. and still have not heard back.. i am heading to DIT, when registering they asked me how i would be paying my fees, there was a box to tick with " Awaiting Grant Application " they immediately wavered my fees for the time being, and i successfully registered as a student.

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

To be fair, a lot of people are in exactly the same position, otherwise they probably wouldn't be applying for a grant. Have you actually tried ringing them? You might have more success than emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Does anyone know what the proposed payment schedule is for grants? I heard it's monthly for 9 payments, but any idea when the first one is supposed to come through? Is there going to be a set date, like 1st of the month or so on?

dubdub123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the proposed payment schedule is for grants? I heard it's monthly for 9 payments, but any idea when the first one is supposed to come through? Is there going to be a set date, like 1st of the month or so on?
    I'd also like to know this, I would assume it'd be the first day of each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

PAYMENT DATE PAID INTO BANK ACCOUNT
    Payment 1 19th October 2012
    Payment 2 23rd November 2012
    Payment 3 21sth December 2012
    Payment 4 TBC
    Payment 5 TBC
    Payment 6 TBC
    Payment 7 TBC
    Payment 8 TBC
    Payment 9 TBC

Your not the only one in this situation my friend, i myself am awaiting for the grant to come through.. i applied months ago.. and sent in my documents a month ago .. and still have not heard back.. i am heading to DIT, when registering they asked me how i would be paying my fees, there was a box to tick with " Awaiting Grant Application " they immediately wavered my fees for the time being, and i successfully registered as a student.

R

I'm also going to DIT this year. How did you register? It's asking me for my student ID and pin but I don't have these. Did you receive your letter already?

• Advertisement

I'm also going to DIT this year. How did you register? It's asking me for my student ID and pin but I don't have these. Did you receive your letter already?

I got a letter in the post (after i accepted VIA the CAO) - with my student ID (which is your CAO application number with a C infront of it) and my PIN to register on www.dit.ie/register.

You''ll have to wait for the letter, when did you accept the place?

R

I got a letter in the post (after i accepted VIA the CAO) - with my student ID (which is your CAO application number with a C infront of it) and my PIN to register on www.dit.ie/register.

You''ll have to wait for the letter, when did you accept the place?

R

I accepted on the first day of offers :/ maybe I should ring them tomorrow or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Thanks TimeClock18 for grant info. Does anyone know if there's some assistance available in the colleges? Are there student assistance funds? My daughter is a HEAR student. Is there any financial assistance available through the college?

Thanks TimeClock18 for grant info. Does anyone know if there's some assistance available in the colleges? Are there student assistance funds? My daughter is a HEAR student. Is there any financial assistance available through the college?

Student Assistance Fund: http://www.studentfinance.ie/pca7235.html
    Student Assistance Fund
    The Student Assistance Fund provides financial assistance for full-time higher education students who are experiencing financial difficulties whilst attending college. Students can apply for Student Assistance to help them with either temporary or ongoing financial difficulties. The Student Assistance Fund provides a further source of funding for higher education students in addition to the Student Grant.

Generally you apply through the student support services. Amounts and levels of help vary from college to college. You do have to be fully registered to get the assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Hey I said on the DIT registration I was waiting for the grant but they're still asking for the payment in my email and that :/

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Hey I said on the DIT registration I was waiting for the grant but they're still asking for the payment in my email and that :/

They'll keep asking for it. Obviously they'll want to collect as much of the money as fast as they can but if you don't have it what can you do?

I'm a brass-necked old coot and I did spend my final year in DIT without paying the registration/ tuition fees until the week before my final exams. Still got my degree. ;):)

If you are worried about it and you have the money to hand then you can pay it and get it back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

It's already in a few places on here, and I'm pretty sure I've posted it in this thread. People have been in touch with SUSI and been informed they will not get confirmation until September, if you're only waiting a few weeks while others are waiting over a month well then it could be late Sept when you hear back. You should know yourself if you're likely to get it, if they sent out looking for documentation it means once you provided them with correct information in the online stage you will get some form of grant.

I imagine they are inundated with emails asking "when will I know?" hence the slow response.

I accepted on the first day of offers :/ maybe I should ring them tomorrow or something.

I was waiting for over a month before i got that registration letter.

I do know that alot of CAO offered students, got there letter today, how about you? :)

I wouldn't worry to much either, once you accepted VIA the CAO, that's basically proof enough :)

R

I was waiting for over a month before i got that registration letter.

I do know that alot of CAO offered students, got there letter today, how about you? :)

I wouldn't worry to much either, once you accepted VIA the CAO, that's basically proof enough :)

R

Got the letter in the post today :D Registered and all now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Would a copy of the page with my leaving cert results be adequate to show that I have sat the leaving cert for evidence of my residence in Ireland?

Advertisement