Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Student Grant*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

When did ye guys send in your documents?

You mean final course acceptance? Around the 1st of September I think!

What the mother of f**k. Logged into my account there online to check my status and it says 'no applications have been made', I got an email from them 2 weeks ago asking me to send on the course acceptance form, which I did. If they've magically managed to lose all my details I'm going to be seriously f**ked off.

And unsurprised

****.. Seriously, I sent in the course acceptance form too and now i'm apparently in Cork IT.. And did anyone else not think the full grant was more than 2375? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

****.. Seriously, I sent in the course acceptance form too and now i'm apparently in Cork IT.. And did anyone else not think the full grant was more than 2375? :eek:

I dunno what the fúck they think they're at. It's people's living money they're playing with here. And aye I thought it was definitely 3000!

I dunno what the fúck they think they're at. It's people's living money they're playing with here. And aye I thought it was definitely 3000!

I've looked into it and they say that if you live further than 45km away from the College you are attending you are entitled to the NON-adjacent grant. I received 100% grant and was told I was getting the adjacent grant. However, from my home to NUI Maynooth is a distance of 88.8km.. Therefore I should be receiving the full amount of 5,915..

For fúck sake.. If they even think they're doing me out of nearly 3 grand they have another thing coming.. This system is the biggest load of bull****e.. I swear to god i'm so pissed off..

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

When were people asked for Course acceptance letters? I dont' think my daughter was asked for that. She was asked to provide documentation which she did a good few weeks back. I emailed them yesterday but no word. Getting seriously stressed now about this as no word as to when and how much she will be getting. And now if she's to send in a course acceptance letter or whatever?
    Should I tell her to get that filled in and does it need to be stamped by the college? She could have it ready if the day comes that she hears from SUSI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

I've looked into it and they say that if you live further than 45km away from the College you are attending you are entitled to the NON-adjacent grant. I received 100% grant and was told I was getting the adjacent grant. However, from my home to NUI Maynooth is a distance of 88.8km.. Therefore I should be receiving the full amount of 5,915..

For fúck sake.. If they even think they're doing me out of nearly 3 grand they have another thing coming.. This system is the biggest load of bull****e.. I swear to god i'm so pissed off..

:mad:

5,915 is a special rate grant, your income has to be lower than 22,000-ish AFAIK

Avox wrote: »
    5,915 is a special rate grant, your income has to be lower than 22,000-ish AFAIK

**** yeah! Just noticed that! Oh well! I'll take what i'm given I suppose! :D.. But really, in all honesty, is there anyone who's income is really under 22,000? That seems very little to me to be honest.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

dubdub123 wrote: »
    When were people asked for Course acceptance letters? I dont' think my daughter was asked for that. She was asked to provide documentation which she did a good few weeks back. I emailed them yesterday but no word. Getting seriously stressed now about this as no word as to when and how much she will be getting. And now if she's to send in a course acceptance letter or whatever?
    Should I tell her to get that filled in and does it need to be stamped by the college? She could have it ready if the day comes that she hears from SUSI.

Letter seeking the extra documentation also contained a course acceptance declaration ..this needed to be sent with documentation.

If you only emailed yesterday I wouldnt hodl my breadth..my daughter sent hers off months ago and had heard nothing back as yet...
    **** yeah! Just noticed that! Oh well! I'll take what i'm given I suppose! :D.. But really, in all honesty, is there anyone who's income is really under 22,000? That seems very little to me to be honest.. :confused:

Many many people on low incomes and SW earn less that €22k....I'd say 1/4 of the population could fit in that category...

Zipppy wrote: »

Many many people on low incomes and SW earn less that €22k....I'd say 1/4 of the population could fit in that category...

Didn't mean that comment to sound insensitive or anything btw! Just seems very low, but I suppose after tax 420ish a week is about the average for a low income job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm hoping I'll get the €5915, my parents income is really low. But, I dunno. Stupid SUSI is stupid.

• Advertisement

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'm hoping I'll get the €5915, my parents income is really low. But, I dunno. Stupid SUSI is stupid.

I thought I would too but, nah. FML

Didn't mean that comment to sound insensitive or anything btw! Just seems very low, but I suppose after tax 420ish a week is about the average for a low income job!

Well my families income is under it, supporting 3 children which is how I knew the limits, but unfortunately SUSI don't seem too bothered about my lack of income for college..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yeah, theres people that are a lot under that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

That's €22k Gross not net....take home would be a lot less ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

Well my families income is under it, supporting 3 children which is how I knew the limits, but unfortunately SUSI don't seem too bothered about my lack of income for college..

Have received the grant approval letter but have to appeal now due to being wrongly awarded the wrong amount. Have checked all the levels and information and will have to wait 30 days for a response. Help desk couldn't give me any information.

Have received the grant approval letter but have to appeal now due to being wrongly awarded the wrong amount. Have checked all the levels and information and will have to wait 30 days for a response. Help desk couldn't give me any information.

Wow, really? That's so unprofessional of them, I thought I had been treated badly.. if the same thing happens with me, needless to say shít is going to hit the fan!

Wow, really? That's so unprofessional of them, I thought I had been treated badly.. if the same thing happens with me, needless to say shít is going to hit the fan!

100% am definitely under the limits and such for the special rate. Have been for the past two years. Circumstances have not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sloejoe

tried to answer but lost post apologies if answered twice. Yes down load the form from the susi website. Doesn't need to be stamped by the college I think susi contact the college. My daughter got a text to check her e:mails last week telling her to send in the form. got a further letter then looking for more info that had already been sent. So stressed out with the whole susi set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

I've looked back at the letter she received at the start of August and there's no mention of a course acceptance letter from what I can see. I think though she downloaded a copy of it yesterday. Should I go ahead and send this on or wait to hear from SUSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

dubdub123 wrote: »
    I've looked back at the letter she received at the start of August and there's no mention of a course acceptance letter from what I can see. I think though she downloaded a copy of it yesterday. Should I go ahead and send this on or wait to hear from SUSI?

yeah just send it off for sure. thats what the susi helpline guy said to me on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Does anyone know how long it takes after you get your approval letter and send in all the documentation to actually get the grant? Has anyone gotten theirs yet? I'm in a position now where I actually can't afford the tranport to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 phillymh

100% am definitely under the limits and such for the special rate. Have been for the past two years. Circumstances have not changed.

The same thing happened me, ive got the special rate grant for the past two years & my circumstances have not changed either,
    I got my letter today stating that I have been awarded the full maintenance non adjacent grant, however it said €1215, which is the full maintenance adjacent grant figure.
    I rang the help desk and was fortunate to get a very helpful and understanding person to talk to.
    He was able to inform me that I had been awarded the full maintenance non adjacent grant & that it is €3250 and that the €1215 must have been a mis-print.
    He wrote a letter to his supervisor explaining what my letter had wrongly said, and that I "should" have received the special rate of €5900.
    So now ive to wait till the supervisor rings me in a few days, and hopefully they'll tell me I am intact awarded the special rate, otherwise ill have to appeal it as like many people the grant is the difference of being able to go to college or not.

Did this type of error happen anyone else???

phillymh wrote: »
    The same thing happened me, ive got the special rate grant for the past two years & my circumstances have not changed either,
    I got my letter today stating that I have been awarded the full maintenance non adjacent grant, however it said €1215, which is the full maintenance adjacent grant figure.
    I rang the help desk and was fortunate to get a very helpful and understanding person to talk to.
    He was able to inform me that I had been awarded the full maintenance non adjacent grant & that it is €3250 and that the €1215 must have been a mis-print.
    He wrote a letter to his supervisor explaining what my letter had wrongly said, and that I "should" have received the special rate of €5900.
    So now ive to wait till the supervisor rings me in a few days, and hopefully they'll tell me I am intact awarded the special rate, otherwise ill have to appeal it as like many people the grant is the difference of being able to go to college or not.

Did this type of error happen anyone else???

They were able to do that over the phone? I was advised the only option was to appeal it via post?

They were able to do that over the phone? I was advised the only option was to appeal it via post?

He just wrote a letter to supervisors really, ill have to see what the supervisor says, still waiting on a phone call. Hopefully I wont have to appeal because of their mistakes.

He just wrote a letter to supervisors really, ill have to see what the supervisor says, still waiting on a phone call. Hopefully I wont have to appeal because of their mistakes.

Rang again today. This time the lady wrote an letter to her supervisor and to SUSI head office explaining my problems and situation. She said I didn't have to do anything until I hear back from them.

Think I might just write in my appeals letter regardless to be safe.

They printed the wrong amount, the wrong college and the wrong course on mine.. I actually feel sorry for whoever works there, they actually must just be stupid like.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

They printed the wrong amount, the wrong college and the wrong course on mine.. I actually feel sorry for whoever works there, they actually must just be stupid like.. :pac:

This is why we need people to go to college ;)

Rang again today. This time the lady wrote an letter to her supervisor and to SUSI head office explaining my problems and situation. She said I didn't have to do anything until I hear back from them.

Think I might just write in my appeals letter regardless to be safe.

I'm still waiting on a phonecall, can I ask did you give them your bank account details? I'm unsure if I should yet or wait until someone rings me. Can you let me know when they get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

This is why we need people to go to college ;)
    LOL

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting on a phonecall, can I ask did you give them your bank account details? I'm unsure if I should yet or wait until someone rings me. Can you let me know when they get back to you

Yeah put my details in on Monday, received first payment of the Full maintenance Non Adjacent today. Will do!

Advertisement