Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Student Grant*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Caireann

Wilwarin wrote: »
    I just rang SUSI and asked do I have to send the documents if my sister has already sent them. They said that I have to. What about the documents that I can't get twice?
    Did you get a reply back from susi? I applied the 11th of june and still havent heard anything back, it says not to send in anything untill you get a reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I just rang SUSI and asked do I have to send the documents if my sister has already sent them. They said that I have to. What about the documents that I can't get twice?
    I'm pretty sure photocopies are usually accepted? That's what me and my brother used to send in (not to SUSI though. it was to Sligo county council) and there were never any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Wee question for the experts ;)

A friends daughter is applying for grant...her mums is divorced and her only income is SW / maintenance..dad isnt living wit them .. is copy divorce agreement needed to shwo maintenance payment amount or what is required there??

Am I right in assuming that she only needs a SW staement of payments for 2011?
    I assume no need for P21 ? P 60 etc etc as these didnt apply...ie she paid no income tax..

Also the girl herself worked part time for a bit....I assume she will need P21 P45 and P60 ??? Does it take long to get these from Revenue??

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Has anyone filled out the SUSI grant and submitted it yet? I'm just wondering if you received an email or anything confirming you have done so. I completed and submitted mine on Monday and I believe they said something about emailing me shortly. The 'Application Status' box on my SUSI account is currently blank - should this change soon or what's the deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Lucario wrote: »
    Has anyone filled out the SUSI grant and submitted it yet? I'm just wondering if you received an email or anything confirming you have done so. I completed and submitted mine on Monday and I believe they said something about emailing me shortly. The 'Application Status' box on my SUSI account is currently blank - should this change soon or what's the deal?
    I finished my grant form today and got an email with in an hour. It just said that the susi would contact me by post after they assessed my form it also had a copy of my application at the end.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    I finished my grant form today and got an email with in an hour. It just said that the susi would contact me by post after they assessed my form it also had a copy of my application at the end.
    Yeah I thought I should have gotten it immediately :/ My internet kept disconnecting that day, however besides that, I'm wondering if I should have gotten an email, just in case it didn't actually send and my account is misleading me :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Lucario wrote: »
    Yeah I thought I should have gotten it immediately :/ My internet kept disconnecting that day, however besides that, I'm wondering if I should have gotten an email, just in case it didn't actually send and my account is misleading me :L
    If you log into susi with your ussername it should come up with your grant application and on mine it just says submitted. If you check and yours says submitted then I wouldn't worry to much about the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conlor27

Has anyone heard anything from susi yet or gotten the evidence pack in the post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

conlor27 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything from susi yet or gotten the evidence pack in the post?

No.

No.

tn-memes-no-face-of-course-not.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Some mature students have started receiving their grant packs, so they've started sending them out at least.
    Don't worry though, they can be veryy slow with the whole grant process, it's actually much faster this year than previous years. I suggest you get your P60s and parents P60s together, apply for P21s, P45 if needed, long form birth cert. You need to make photocopies if them all & it can take a few days to get P21s and you may need to go in to get a copy of your birth cert, so it's worth getting these things organised now so you haven them all ready to send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I finished mine today are we meant to send the evidence if they ring and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Zipppy wrote: »
    Wee question for the experts ;)

A friends daughter is applying for grant...her mums is divorced and her only income is SW / maintenance..dad isnt living wit them .. is copy divorce agreement needed to shwo maintenance payment amount or what is required there??

Am I right in assuming that she only needs a SW staement of payments for 2011?
    I assume no need for P21 ? P 60 etc etc as these didnt apply...ie she paid no income tax..

Also the girl herself worked part time for a bit....I assume she will need P21 P45 and P60 ??? Does it take long to get these from Revenue??

Cheers

If you have a look at the forms on the Student Finance Site it should tell you what documents are needed. I haven't looked at this years one yet, but previous forms always had it marked very clearly where there was a document needed and how to get it.

The grant is based on the parents finances if she is dependent on them, so if she had a part time job she wouldn't have to get the documents for that, as far as I know.

Hey everyone.
    I've half of my susi application filled out but I think it's all wrong now. For the parent part I put down how much my guardian made in 2011 and I the only slot I said was N/A. I'm now in the hospital waiting room and my nan, my guardian is dying. I don't know what to do. Do I put down on my susi application that I have no one now? Are there any other grants I could get? I don't know why I'm even doing this now, I just need something else to focus on I guess. I really want to go to college but now I have nothing. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about that fizzyorange.

I would definitely ring the SUSI. The grant goes on 2011 finances, but as far as I know from the old application (I haven't had a chance to look at the new layout yet) there was a change of circumstances section where you would fill in if there was any reason finances would be different this year.

As far as other sources of finance go, you can email the college or colleges you might be going to and ask about the Student Assistance Fund. I don't think you can apply until you've registered in the college, but its extra assistance for those especially in need of funds. Information about the NUIG one is here, and the general scheme here.

I hope things work out for you. Again, sorry to hear about your grandmother. There are always ways to get help financially, so don't worry if things look impossible right now. Once you're in college, your Students Union will be able to give you some advice as well :)

P60 for example

You can ask an employer for a copy of your P60. Your sister should not have sent originals, she should have sent in copies. Photocopy the documents, then send them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Hey just a quick question on something that i'm not sure on.
    I'm starting 6th year in September and i was just wondering about the student grant for this time 14 months for me ?
    I see that for a course in NUIG the fee's are around €13,000, when i receive the grant does it automatically pay for this? From what i read on the student finance website the 100% grant is around €3000? do i only get that towards the college fee's? A little explanation would do wonders, really confused :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hey iFreeley, correct me if I'm wrong but if you're a first time undergraduate student you don't have to pay tuition fees, the government automatically pay them for you regardless of whether you are applying for a grant or not (for Irish universities). I'm assuming that that charge of 13,000 euro is tution fees but I'm not sure.

Undergraduates are eligible to pay the "student contribution fees" which are 2,250 euro at present but even if you get a partial grant you don't have to pay this, the government will.

Cheers for the info nicole :)
    So if i do receive a grant, my university studies will essentially be paid for?
    And the €3025 for a full 100% grant will be mine? none of that will be deducted from the fee's or contribution?
    And is all that only for first year or all of my time in uni?

iFreely, I responded before your thread got moved so my post appears to have been deleted.

Once you are an EU citizen, the 13,000 doesn't apply. If you are eligible for a grant, the 2,250 which the fees are currently will be paid. You may also receive an additional amount of money for other expenses like travel, and this amount is dependent on your income, this is the 3,000 you are referring to.

This link will tell you the levels of income and what you are entitled to based on each income level:
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

And this one has the various amounts of money you may get. Non-adjacent is if you live more than 45km from the college, otherwise you are looking at the adjacent rate:
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9552/grant-levels/index.html

Also, the amounts of income allowed is based on your and your parents/guardians combined income before tax. Hope that helps.

iFreeley wrote: »
    Hey just a quick question on something that i'm not sure on.
    I'm starting 6th year in September and i was just wondering about the student grant for this time 14 months for me ?
    I see that for a course in NUIG the fee's are around €13,000, when i receive the grant does it automatically pay for this? From what i read on the student finance website the 100% grant is around €3000? do i only get that towards the college fee's? A little explanation would do wonders, really confused :confused:

Merged to keep all the grant stuff together.

If you're an Irish student, you get "free fees", so that €13,000 does not apply to you. You'd only have to pay fees if you changed course and start first year of a different course again.

What you do have to pay as an Irish student is the registration fee. Last year this was €2,000, it will go up by €250 per year for the next 4 years so yours will be €2,500. If you qualify for the maintenance grant, this is paid for you at most levels. If you look at the table here, the tick for "student contribution paid" is this fee.

The top rate you could get is €3,025, depending on your parents' income, which you can check here. There is also a special rate of €5,915, which I think depends on social welfare payments. The money used to be given out in 3 cheques spaced out over the year in equal sums, but that's changing this year to monthly payments.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the 3 replys, cleared up everything :D Was almost worried I wouldn't have been able to afford University :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi again, yes they will, and just to be clear you can apply for the grant each year of your undergraduate course. Nope, as far as I know this money is not deducted from your student contribution fees, it's just to help you to get through college really.

No problem, I think we're all worried about the same thing! College is financially difficult for everyone unfortunately, but managable with proper help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Is it a bad thing that I haven't submitted my online application yet? I've it almost done, just waiting on the income figures and stuff from the family accountant who said they'd be ready by this week. So am I like really late and should I be a little worried? Please someone be honest...ha

Also is there any documents I could get on about now because I assume I'll be waiting a while when I have it submitted. So yeah like what documents are *normally required*. Thanks a million in advance!

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Is it a bad thing that I haven't submitted my online application yet? I've it almost done, just waiting on the income figures and stuff from the family accountant who said they'd be ready by this week. So am I like really late and should I be a little worried? Please someone be honest...ha

Don't worry, in previous years the closing date hasn't been until then end of August, and usually some people apply even past that deadline, so you're fine!

You'll need P60s, P20s, P45s if anyone lost jobs, evidence of other forms of income if there are any, long form birth cert and possibly proof of address.

Ah thats great thanks, pheeew!! Yes I saw that the deadline is like late August, is that for just submitting the application or for sending off all documents and basically sorting out the whole sha bang??

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Ah thats great thanks, pheeew!! Yes I saw that the deadline is like late August, is that for just submitting the application or for sending off all documents and basically sorting out the whole sha bang??

I haven't even seen a deadline, but I imagine it would be for the online part since you getting the documents in is dependent on when they send the pack out. Just try & get your papers together & make photocopies & have them ready to send off.

Also, the income figure part is actually pretty much the end of the application, the last few parts are just about various forms of income, so once you get the info you'll fly through finishing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fkielthy

Hi all, is anyone else having a problem trying to register for the student grant on the student finance website? It keeps timing out and i have tried it a few times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

fkielthy wrote: »
    Hi all, is anyone else having a problem trying to register for the student grant on the student finance website? It keeps timing out and i have tried it a few times?

Ya, same thing happens with me... it keeps wanting me to kill the page.. It's really annoying. :/ :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Damianlegend

I just wanted to know what is a PRTB ? (private residential tenancies board) .
    On the Student finance website, in step 2 it says "Suggested documents would be:

Evidence that you sat the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams in Ireland, or equivalent school exams in the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    a letter from a school principal in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland confirming your attendance at a school;
    Social welfare statements, or equivalents from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    Utility bills;
    Registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Boards (PRTB), or equivalent from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;" Do I need an evidence of registration with this PRTB ? and where do I get this..

Advertisement