Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Student Grant*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Hi so I'm currently filling out my grant application atm and I have come across two questions that I'm not sure how to answer

first one is
    Have you applied for or will you be getting a Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) or a Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) payment for the 2012/13 academic year?

second is
    Have you applied for or will you be getting any other student financial assistance from Ireland or abroad for the 2012/13 academic year?

I pretty much get the first one but I have received the HEAR scheme and I know if i get one of the places on HEAR you get a small financial payment or so I've heard just wondering does this apply to the second question?

Any help would be greatful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I just wanted to know what is a PRTB ? (private residential tenancies board) .
    On the Student finance website, in step 2 it says "Suggested documents would be:

Evidence that you sat the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams in Ireland, or equivalent school exams in the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    a letter from a school principal in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland confirming your attendance at a school;
    Social welfare statements, or equivalents from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    Utility bills;
    Registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Boards (PRTB), or equivalent from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;" Do I need an evidence of registration with this PRTB ? and where do I get this..

You just need evidence that you were resident in Ireland for 3 out of the past 5 years, so get a letter from your school to say you were attending, or send in exam results or things with your address on, like bills. You don't need every one of the documents listed, just something to show you were living in Ireland.

Are you actually registered with the PRTB? I imagine if you were you would know what it is so you don't need to worry about that. You just need proof you were living here basically.

Princessxx wrote: »
    Hi so I'm currently filling out my grant application atm and I have come across two questions that I'm not sure how to answer

first one is
    Have you applied for or will you be getting a Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) or a Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) payment for the 2012/13 academic year?

second is
    Have you applied for or will you be getting any other student financial assistance from Ireland or abroad for the 2012/13 academic year?

I pretty much get the first one but I have received the HEAR scheme and I know if i get one of the places on HEAR you get a small financial payment or so I've heard just wondering does this apply to the second question?

Any help would be greatful

VTOS & BTEA are allowances to help people over a certain age who are on the social welfare go back to college. Since this is the LC forum I imagine you are coming out of school & going straight to college so you aren't entitled to these things so you would say no.

For the second question, say yes and a box should come up and you can say you've applied for the HEAR scheme within that box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My son got a letter yesterday to say that he has been deemed eligible to progress to the next step and they require different documentation etc.

In the explanation of documentation required it says that you need to download the "Official SUSI Social Welfare Form from www.cdvec.ie and get it stamped" I have searched the website and can't find such a form anywhere and really want to get this sorted soon as I am going away on holidays next week and want it all done before I go.

Help!

Witchie wrote: »
    My son got a letter yesterday to say that he has been deemed eligible to progress to the next step and they require different documentation etc.

In the explanation of documentation required it says that you need to download the "Official SUSI Social Welfare Form from www.cdvec.ie and get it stamped" I have searched the website and can't find such a form anywhere and really want to get this sorted soon as I am going away on holidays next week and want it all done before I go.

Help!

I think this is what you're looking for

http://cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/Social-Welfare-Statement-2012.pdf.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Muir wrote: »

Brilliant thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

Does everybody write in this section? Does it have to be something like motivational letter? What did you write in it?

The point of this section is just to add in extra bits if you felt they were important. For example, the grant is based on last years income, but someone in the home could have lost their job or become sick since then, so you would say that in the additional information section. You don't have to write anything there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

Thanks a lot! :D I finally submitted the form :) now the documents

Try and start getting the documents in order now, then you wont need to worry about it in a couple of weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 StephanieC93

Could anybody tell me whats the difference between Student contribution and Tuition Fees??
    Which is the €2250 fee?
    I'm trying to figure out will i get any sort of grant and i'm awful confused!
    Any help is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Caireann

Is it 2011 the year you get the forms for? Just trying to get some in order here and not sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hey...guys. So I think I've the online form filled out fully and have it re-checked and all that but it still says on the page where you can click to "validate" it that I've only 84% progress!!! Wth? What am I missing out on? I literally can't find any other parts of the form that apply to me that I can fill...so what gives? I'm delaying clicking validate because I'm afraid I've missed something major...so yeah help??? Please!!! Thanks...
    Caireann wrote: »
    Is it 2011 the year you get the forms for? Just trying to get some in order here and not sure. :)

Yep...2011. I met with the family accountant last night and he told me I'll most likely need a P60 (I think...either that or P21) and a Notice Of Assessment....he said he has all that stuff relating to my parents and should have it for me by next week....but I thought we had to get some documents off the revenue no???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I only got a letter in the post this morning from SUSI to say that I'm eligible for the next stage, and I applied on the 12th of June, the day after it opened. I was starting to worry that I wasn't going to get it, so if anyone else is the same, your letter is probably on the way! :)

Could someone please answer my question or help please??????!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

leaveiton wrote: »
    I only got a letter in the post this morning from SUSI to say that I'm eligible for the next stage, and I applied on the 12th of June, the day after it opened. I was starting to worry that I wasn't going to get it, so if anyone else is the same, your letter is probably on the way! :)
    I applied for mine on the 23rd of June, was kinda getting worried 'til I saw this. Hopefully it arrives soon

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Could someone please answer my question or help please??????!!!!!!

DUDE! - you need to hit the "Validate" Button, for it to complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Almost done my application now but stuck on a Q.
    When it asks you to give details of any other financial assistance you may receive, do I need to mention 2 scholarships I have applied for, and HEAR?
    It asks you to say how much you will be receiving from these too, but I have no way of knowing if I'll actually get them?
    I was thinking of just not mentioning them, incase I don't get the grant, and I've been advised to do this, but now I'm just wondering if somehow they found out that I have applied for other assistance that I won't receive the grant anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

biohaiid wrote: »
    Almost done my application now but stuck on a Q.
    When it asks you to give details of any other financial assistance you may receive, do I need to mention 2 scholarships I have applied for, and HEAR?
    It asks you to say how much you will be receiving from these too, but I have no way of knowing if I'll actually get them?
    I was thinking of just not mentioning them, incase I don't get the grant, and I've been advised to do this, but now I'm just wondering if somehow they found out that I have applied for other assistance that I won't receive the grant anyway?

As far as i am aware, you don't need to put them down.

SUSI only wants / needs to see what you HAVE earned over the last year, and not what you are going to receive.

Either way though, i wouldn't put them down, as you don't know what you will get.

As far as i am aware, you don't need to put them down.

SUSI only wants / needs to see what you HAVE earned over the last year, and not what you are going to receive.

Either way though, i wouldn't put them down, as you don't know what you will get.

Okay, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I received my letter from them today stating the documentation I have to send off. My question is; Does it have to be photocopies of the document that I send off or can I just send off the original document? I don't need the documents back so it would just be so much more convenient to send off the original document!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

I still haven't got a letter despite the fact I applied weeks ago. Starting to get a bit edgy now.... I'm done for without a grant...

I received my letter from them today stating the documentation I have to send off. My question is; Does it have to be photocopies of the document that I send off or can I just send off the original document? I don't need the documents back so it would just be so much more convenient to send off the original document!

You can send originals but be sure you don't need them again if doing so.

I still haven't got a letter despite the fact I applied weeks ago. Starting to get a bit edgy now.... I'm done for without a grant...

Don't worry, most people haven't heard back yet. The grant process has always been quite slow. Have you looked at the different income limits on studentfinance.ie? That should give you a good idea if you'll be eligible.

Also, what are you all using as proof that you've been in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years? I don't know how I might prove this :L I know it says that you can prove that you done the leaving cert and Junior cert in Ireland and that will do, but how do I go about proving this with documentation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Also, what are you all using as proof that you've been in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years? I don't know how I might prove this :L I know it says that you can prove that you done the leaving cert and Junior cert in Ireland and that will do, but how do I go about proving this with documentation?

You get letters from your school and what not, that's what I done.

Does anybody else's application keep freezing?
    No wonder it's taking me so long, it wont let me get past 49%!!

cloud493 wrote: »
    You get letters from your school and what not, that's what I done.

Ah grand :L Thanks :L

biohaiid wrote: »
    Does anybody else's application keep freezing?
    No wonder it's taking me so long, it wont let me get past 49%!!

Yeah mine kept freezing too so I saved progress after every page but eventually it got better and I filled in the last few parts without any glitches. Don't worry though, leave it be if it freezes. I kept clicking mad when it freezed and all these error windows came up but it actually started working again!!!

Does anyone know how long I'll be waiting for my letter? I only submitted my application yesterday but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything? Also for those who got letters, without being too personal or nosey what sort of documentation were ye asked for? I'm sure our family accountant has all the stuff that I should need...well he re assured me that he did anyway but any other stuff? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

TheComeUp wrote: »

Does anyone know how long I'll be waiting for my letter? I only submitted my application yesterday but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything? Also for those who got letters, without being too personal or nosey what sort of documentation were ye asked for? I'm sure our family accountant has all the stuff that I should need...well he re assured me that he did anyway but any other stuff? Thanks :)

I submitted my application on June 14th and I only got my letter now. It depends on whether your parents were working etc. Documents I was asked for were P21s and P60s as both my parents were working last year. For myself I needed proof of residency and birth cert. Obviously sending copies not originals. If someone wasn't working you would need P21S and P45s and proof of social welfare payment.

Advertisement